Galaxy Note 3 to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor

Okay, I might give that a try. My primary concern was finding one that can charge as fast as the supplied USB adapter/cable.

Pretty sure all the latest Samsung phones use 2A chargers. I know my Note 2 and wife's GS4 does, I'd assume the Note 3 does too. Most other phone OEMs only use 1A chargers and can't even take advantage of 2A charging speeds like Samsung phones can. I know that was the case with the HTC One at least, not sure about the G2 or latest Sony phones. But if you use a charger with a 2A output (just like those car adapters I linked to), then it should charge just as fast as the original charger that the phone came with regardless. I know those car chargers charge our phones just as fast as the stock Samsung AC chargers do.

Nice to see some testimony about the GN3 not having sporadic lag issues. My GS3 does and it bugs the shit out of me. Note 3 will be my next phone when I am eligible for an upgrade next April...unless something superior comes out. From everything about the GN3 I've read so far, that's not likely to happen. :)

Nice to see some testimony about the GN3 not having sporadic lag issues. My GS3 does and it bugs the shit out of me. Note 3 will be my next phone when I am eligible for an upgrade next April...unless something superior comes out. From everything about the GN3 I've read so far, that's not likely to happen. :)

Gn3 in my opinion is Damn near perfect of a smart phone as you can get.

Honestly I'm glad I waited to get this phone.

Pretty sure all the latest Samsung phones use 2A chargers. I know my Note 2 and wife's GS4 does, I'd assume the Note 3 does too. Most other phone OEMs only use 1A chargers and can't even take advantage of 2A charging speeds like Samsung phones can. I know that was the case with the HTC One at least, not sure about the G2 or latest Sony phones. But if you use a charger with a 2A output (just like those car adapters I linked to), then it should charge just as fast as the original charger that the phone came with regardless. I know those car chargers charge our phones just as fast as the stock Samsung AC chargers do.

The Galaxy Note 3 charges much faster than the Galaxy S4 though.

It charges extremely fast because of the 2A charger.

All Sammy phones since at least the Note2 (if not earlier) have come with a 2A charger.

The only difference is that Samsung has only now chosen not to place a software limit inside the stock ROM greatly throttling the battery charging back from 2A.

Are SD Card transfer speeds supposed to be slow in Android even when you're on USB 3.0? I'm currently moving a 26 GB file, and the estimated completion time is nearly 4 hours.

Are SD Card transfer speeds supposed to be slow in Android even when you're on USB 3.0? I'm currently moving a 26 GB file, and the estimated completion time is nearly 4 hours.

What is your SD card rated for...I'll presume you're using a USB3 port on your computer?

Indeed. The card I'm using is a Class 10.

The remaining time has now increased to 7 hours...

You have to manually select usb3 when doing the transfer, if you don't it defaults to usb2 on the phone.

Yeah, I did that. It turns out the card I was using was formatted as FAT32, so there was a 4 GB limit that first slowed and then hung the transfer operation infinitely. I formatted it to exFAT and am transferring it now using a separate USB 3.0 SD Card reader, and it's going at a healthy 10 MB/s.

I wish there was a way to put the Note 3 into tablet mode. I've found that UI elements on many apps appear way too big. The Note 3 can definitely handle three columns in the Google Music app, for instance.

I'm pretty sure it's because of USB 3.0.

USB 3.0 charges the battery faster.

No he's correct. Most phones limit the charging to sub 1 amp, this one let's you go further. Technically the usb3 would charge faster but it wouldn't mean jack if it kept it at 1 amp. The usb3 design was mainly to get faster transfer speeds.

Try charging with a high end usb2 charger versus the usb3 charger it comes with, very little difference.

I wish there was a way to put the Note 3 into tablet mode. I've found that UI elements on many apps appear way too big. The Note 3 can definitely handle three columns in the Google Music app, for instance.

Have you tried using a different launcher?

No he's correct. Most phones limit the charging to sub 1 amp, this one let's you go further. Technically the usb3 would charge faster but it wouldn't mean jack if it kept it at 1 amp. The usb3 design was mainly to get faster transfer speeds.

Try charging with a high end usb2 charger versus the usb3 charger it comes with, very little difference.

I notice a big difference in charging times between USB 3.0 and USB 2.0.

I notice a big difference in charging times between USB 3.0 and USB 2.0.

Reread his post he was referring to a USB2 based charger...not a standard vanilla USB2 port.

indeed Power Usage of USB 2.0 Up to 500 mA and USB 3.0 Up to 900 mA, look here
http://www.diffen.com/difference/USB_2.0_vs_USB_3.0
so the galaxy note 3 me be charged faster with USB 3.0

You can charge the Note2 for example at 900mA+ on a USB3 port. The mA limit is ENTIRELY artificial from Samsung baked into the kernel for the inconvenience and annoyance of users. And has (almost) nothing to do with what damn port is on the handset.

I can and do charge my Note 2 with a 3rd party kernel at 1200-1800mAh. Does that mean that USB2 (the port on the phone) magically charges faster than your USB3? No.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/26/yes-the-galaxy-note-3-has-a-microusb-3-0-port/

You probably noticed an extra-large USB port on the bottom the Galaxy Note 3 in both our initial hands-on and today’s unboxing. In case you were wondering, yes, that is a microUSB 3.0 port. The benefits are pretty simple – you can charge faster while being connected to a computer (900mA output), and also transfer data to and from your phone at faster speeds.

There are even reviews where the Galaxy Note 3 charges significantly faster than the Galaxy Note 2 despite the Galaxy Note 3 having a larger battery.

1.jpg

I'm interested in getting this dock but am wondering what the story behind it is. The only place that seems to sell it at a normal price is shopandroid; the listings I've found on Amazon all seem to be by third-party retailers charging outrageous prices.

I guess it hasn't been officially released in the States yet?

I'm interested in getting this dock but am wondering what the story behind it is. The only place that seems to sell it at a normal price is shopandroid; the listings I've found on Amazon all seem to be by third-party retailers charging outrageous prices.

I guess it hasn't been officially released in the States yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YFJZUGqnhk

Looks interesting. Basically it charges the phone and can play audio out too simultaneously.

Who charges their phone from their pc?

I pretty much exclusively charge from my work and home PCs except for at night time where I have my standard AC charger at my night stand.

We aren't allowed to at work s anymore :(

Same here (DoD system), but I'm using one of these cables which have the data pins looped back/shorted so there's no data connection whatsoever and it also allows the phone to pull max power (it shows "AC" instead of "USB" charging in the power menu) from the USB port instead of the standard ~550 mAh that USB 2.0 is limited to. It charged my Gnex as fast as the AC charger, but not quite on my Note 2 since I doubt it can pull 2A from the PCs USB port, but it's still much faster than USB charging.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Who charges their phone from their pc?

I charge my phone from the power source at home whereas I charge from the PC at work.

Just much more convenient to charge from a PC especially if the nearest power source is a few meters away or in an awkward position.

Does anyone use Plex for video streaming? I seem to be getting stuttering if I stream via Wi-Fi. Playback is fine when I switch over to 4G, which is weird, as that only provides half the bandwidth my router does.

FYI for people still monitoring this thread or still holding out for a Note 3 - best device I've ever used hands down. Battery has been outrageously good, great performance, screen and multi-tasking are outstanding. Pen use is so effing useful. On Verizon now and it's night and day over Sprint. I get 4G LTE in every nook and cranny that I've been to except for the Twilight Zone Kroger near my apartment. I think it's a military spy zone because I don't think anyone gets a good signal in there.

FYI for people still monitoring this thread or still holding out for a Note 3 - best device I've ever used hands down. Battery has been outrageously good, great performance, screen and multi-tasking are outstanding. Pen use is so effing useful. On Verizon now and it's night and day over Sprint. I get 4G LTE in every nook and cranny that I've been to except for the Twilight Zone Kroger near my apartment. I think it's a military spy zone because I don't think anyone gets a good signal in there.

Yep, my wife got one upgrading from an iPhone, she is extremely pleased she made the switch.

Ok, so I started having some issues with my tmo note 3. The screen started to freeze for 4-5 seconds randomly. The only way to get it to respond to touch again is to turn the screen off and on again. I have to do this numerous times a day. Only 2 apps were installed on it, aldiko prem book app and a pdf reader app. Both have been uninstalled and everything is back to stock, problem still persists.

The weird thing is the screen will respond to the pen even when it freezes, so I can use it, however sometimes when I need to answer the phone quickly and pulling out the pen isn't an option it gets extremely frustrating. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Ok, so I started having some issues with my tmo note 3. The screen started to freeze for 4-5 seconds randomly. The only way to get it to respond to touch again is to turn the screen off and on again. I have to do this numerous times a day. Only 2 apps were installed on it, aldiko prem book app and a pdf reader app. Both have been uninstalled and everything is back to stock, problem still persists.

The weird thing is the screen will respond to the pen even when it freezes, so I can use it, however sometimes when I need to answer the phone quickly and pulling out the pen isn't an option it gets extremely frustrating. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I would suggest performing a factory reset on the phone to ensure that everything is back to default:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy_hi2gSbBc

Take it into tmo.

I agree with this 100%.

I think the 3GB DDR3 RAM really made a big difference to how the Galaxy Note 3 feels so much faster than the Galaxy S4.

Or maybe Samsung just optimized the software better (doubtful).

I think the advent of DDR4 RAM is going to be very exciting this year.

The big differences between the S4 and the note 3 is the soc. S800>S600 in every way.

The big differences between the S4 and the note 3 is the soc. S800>S600 in every way.

But the HTC One performs like the iPhone 5S with the Snapdragon 600.

So it seems that the Galaxy S4 had too many software features which couldn't be handled by the Snapdragon 600.

The Galaxy Note 3 can handle it because it has the Snapdragon 800 and 3GB DDR3 RAM.

Back