Galaxy Note 3 to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
OFFICIAL SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3 THREAD

Rumor: Galaxy Note 3 to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor
http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-3-qualcomm-snapdragon-800-217002/

Looks like the next hot phone release will be the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, officially announced at a show in Berlin this Aug / Sept. Should go on sale late Summer / Early Fall. Anybody holding out for this beast ?

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-concept-1_zps3958aa7c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Sign me up. Even though the screen size will grow, (5.99 inch maybe?), I'm thinking/hoping they'll do the same thing they did with the S3 to S4 and reduce the bezel to keep it basically the same dimensions of the Note 2. The Snapdragon 800 looks to be a monster and then you add the rumors of the 13 megapixel camera with possible optical image stabilization and optical zoom? Yup, looks like a winner to me. Too bad it's too big for your tastes Zorachus. By the way, what did you end up doing with your busted Nexus 4?

Last edited:
Found a guy on Craigslist to replace the screen, all for $125, took him two days. Nexus 4 back to new again :) But lately missing the awesome battery life of the Note 2, and it's large screen and S-Pen were pretty cool, was almost thinking going back to an N2, if I find one cheap on CL

I agree, I hope the Note 3 keeps the overall footprint of the Note 2, and not go physically larger. I feel the Note 2 size is as big as I want a smartphone to be, actually I found the Note 2, to be just a tad too large for me, for an everyday smartphone.. Hopefully Samsung finds a way like they did with the S4, give a larger screen, but make the overall phone the same size if not a tad smaller.

I expect the Note 3 to be thinner and lighter than the current Note 2, and most likely overall same height and width as the N2, not bigger. But to do that, I would guess the N3 could only go up to like a 5.7" screen, and still keep the phone the same size, at 5.99" screen size if true, would make the overall phone much larger than the N2 ?

i love how they made it look like an iphone more than they needed to with the metal edging. FUCK YOU APPLE!!@#!@#!@$!#!#
i bet Steve jobs never would have sued for some stupid shiet like that.. if anything he prolly would've made the iPhone 5 actually something amazing.

I hope it's true. The Exynos 5 doesn't really compete with the S600 in terms of power efficiency (especially in talk time) and has a negligible performance advantage over it in the benches. So I'm sure the S800 will match or beat the Exynos 5 in performance and still have better battery life to boot.

I kind of wish they would have put an S4 Pro in the US Note 2 instead of the Exynos 4. Dunno why they didn't when they put the S4 in the US GS3 instead of the Exynos 4 in the international variant. For real world usage the Exynos 4412 works great for me, but I don't really think it competes with the S4 Pro that was going in other flagships at the time it was released.

i love how they made it look like an iphone more than they needed to with the metal edging. FUCK YOU APPLE!!@#!@#!@$!#!#
i bet Steve jobs never would have sued for some stupid shiet like that.. if anything he prolly would've made the iPhone 5 actually something amazing.

Umm you realize that the image is just a mock up right? The actual phone has not been released. No one knows what it looks like yet.

Umm you realize that the image is just a mock up right? The actual phone has not been released. No one knows what it looks like yet.

Yep, that's just a photoshop of what the Note 3 might possibly look like. But the S4 does sort of resemble that picture, it's thin with a chrome banding around it, and near flat back.

Rumor: Galaxy Note 3 launch scheduled for July-August
http://www.androidauthority.com/rumor-galaxy-note-3-launch-217434/

DigiTimes says that the Galaxy Note 3 as well as the Galaxy S4 mini would arrive in the third quarter to take on new iPhone versions. The Galaxy Note 3 would arrive in July-August, which would be a lot earlier than anticipated.

Previous rumors said that the new Galaxy Note generation would be unveiled in September at IFA 2013, and hit stores thereafter.

Rumor: Galaxy Note 3 launch scheduled for July-August
http://www.androidauthority.com/rumor-galaxy-note-3-launch-217434/

DigiTimes says that the Galaxy Note 3 as well as the Galaxy S4 mini would arrive in the third quarter to take on new iPhone versions. The Galaxy Note 3 would arrive in July-August, which would be a lot earlier than anticipated.

Previous rumors said that the new Galaxy Note generation would be unveiled in September at IFA 2013, and hit stores thereafter.

Highly doubt it will come that soon. Probably September at the earliest and October for the US.

The S4 mini competing with the iPhone doesn't make sense either; it doesn't even compete with the current iPhone 5, lol. qHD w/ mid-range dual-core SoC is not competitive with anything in the last year..

Agree, the Note 3 is a late September release. Samsung always announces the new Note phone at the Berlin event that is typically in Aug / Sept, and then the new Note comes out after that.

I am most curious on the size of the new N3, not screen size, but hope overall footprint of the new Note, is no larger than the current Note 2, which is as large as I could go. And I think it should be thinner and lighter weight too, which is always good.

Agree, the Note 3 is a late September release. Samsung always announces the new Note phone at the Berlin event that is typically in Aug / Sept, and then the new Note comes out after that.

I am most curious on the size of the new N3, not screen size, but hope overall footprint of the new Note, is no larger than the current Note 2, which is as large as I could go. And I think it should be thinner and lighter weight too, which is always good.

Yeah, if they can do like the GS4 and put a larger screen in the same or smaller dimensions as the Note 2 in the Note 3, then that would be awesome. I definitely don't want a larger device than the N2 though. I'm actually contemplating trading it for a GS4 at the moment. I'm sure I could do it relatively cheaply.

I doubt it will happen, but I also hope that they will use soft-keys on the N3 instead of physical/capacitive buttons. It would just make so much more sense to have soft keys when you're using a stylus. Unless they can somehow make the S-Pen work with the physical button and capacitive buttons. I thought that was a blatant oversight on the N2.

The N2 is almost a perfect device though. If it had the S4 Pro (best SoC available at the time it launched) instad of the Exynos 4412, a 1080p display, and soft keys, then it would be perfect IMO. With all the added sensors for the GS4 (IR blaster, pedometer, motion sensor, etc.), the S800 SoC and a 1080p SAMOLED (hopefully RGB like the Note 2, but I doubt they will do that again and it will be the same pentile arrangement as the GS4), the N3 should be about as good as you can get providing you can deal with the phablet size. I just really hope they don't make it larger. It could lose some weight too, sometimes it gets awkward holding my N2 up for a while or with one hand because it's somewhat heavy.

If the put a pentile screen on a 6" phone that would be suicide for this phone.

If the put a pentile screen on a 6" phone that would be suicide for this phone.

Meh, at 1080p/367 PPI, I don't think it would matter much. At least it didn't for the original Galaxy Note.

Yeah, if they can do like the GS4 and put a larger screen in the same or smaller dimensions as the Note 2 in the Note 3, then that would be awesome. I definitely don't want a larger device than the N2 though. I'm actually contemplating trading it for a GS4 at the moment. I'm sure I could do it relatively cheaply.

I doubt it will happen, but I also hope that they will use soft-keys on the N3 instead of physical/capacitive buttons. It would just make so much more sense to have soft keys when you're using a stylus. Unless they can somehow make the S-Pen work with the physical button and capacitive buttons. I thought that was a blatant oversight on the N2.

The N2 is almost a perfect device though. If it had the S4 Pro (best SoC available at the time it launched) instad of the Exynos 4412, a 1080p display, and soft keys, then it would be perfect IMO. With all the added sensors for the GS4 (IR blaster, pedometer, motion sensor, etc.), the S800 SoC and a 1080p SAMOLED (hopefully RGB like the Note 2, but I doubt they will do that again and it will be the same pentile arrangement as the GS4), the N3 should be about as good as you can get providing you can deal with the phablet size. I just really hope they don't make it larger. It could lose some weight too, sometimes it gets awkward holding my N2 up for a while or with one hand because it's somewhat heavy.

+1

If they kept the same physical size and upped the screen size it would be fine. But not get into the 6+ inch sizes

+1

If they kept the same physical size and upped the screen size it would be fine. But not get into the 6+ inch sizes

I would guess that is what they will do. Personally I would like to see them keep the screen size at 5.5" but make the size of the phone slightly smaller and weigh less. Better for carrying around. I am using an S3 now but hope to get the Note 3 towards the end of the year.

Then again, if they do kept the phone the same size but increased the screen to 5.7" or so that would make for even better web browsing. I use my phone a lot for internet when not at home and would really like something much larger than my S3 screen.

It would only be slightly higher PPI than the Galaxy S3. So if the display bothered you on that there might be a chance it would on the Note 3 as well, although you may typically hold the larger phone further away to somewhat offset this. You need to keep in mind the issue is that 2 of the subpixel colors would only have PPI in the 2xx range.

One thing, which not a lot of people seem to care about on here, that I'm interested in with the Note 3 is actually the rumor of OIS and optical zoom for the camera. Although the latter now seems somewhat unlikely.

It would only be slightly higher PPI than the Galaxy S3. So if the display bothered you on that there might be a chance it would on the Note 3 as well

1280x720 @ 4.8" = 306 PPI

vs

1920x1080 @ 6" = 367 PPI or @ 5.5" = 400 PPI, so somewhere in between there for whatever Samsung decides on the screen size.

That's a considerable difference, I think. It will be the same difference if you account for the subpixels. I thought the pentile matrix was barely noticeable on the GS3 and Gnex, so with that much of a higher pixel density, I don't think it should be noticeable. But yeah, I really hope they bring out the RGB matrix like they did for the Note 2.

There's also no guarantee that they use PenTile on the Note 3. The reason it was used on the GS4 (after having not been used on the GN2) was because of the display being small (relative to the pixel count). It was too tight for current OLED technology. For all we know, 5.5-5.9" might be large enough to go back to a pattern similar to what was used in the Note 2.

No way to know for sure, but there's no guarantee either way.

Keep in mind the 306PPI in the GS3 is effectively only 216PPI (contrast 265PPI for the Droid 1) for the blue and red pixels. Which is why the screen as a whole isn't "retina" and you'd easily see the difference compared to the One X last year.

On the other hand, the GS4's Pentile screen still leaves 312PPI (contrast 326PPI for the iPhone 5) for the blue and red pixels which is easily beyond visual acuity at 11 inches.

Any more rumor updates to add?

Im freaking AMAZED and STOKED if the true processor is going to be a SD800.

That will make the note3 faster than many peoples laptops.

Anyways I am returning my GS4 by sunday and I am just going to wait for the Note 3 to hit the streets. Regardless I really like the bigger screen and the S Pen A LOT.

I expect to hear more next month, Samsung keeps a tight lip on their products pretty well but tend to "leak" certain things out a bit before the release.

still rocking my Galaxy Nexus -- highly modded of course.

Sadly my next upgrade with Verizon doesn't come around till early 2014 -- by that time -- would be nice if i could pick up whatever new Nexus device or Note3 happens to be out by then super cheap via Amazon Wireless. Who knows what will be out in 9 months!

Are we making this the "official" Note 3 thread? Or does someone want to start one?

Let the large phone trolling begin...

Talk about getting flamed geeeez! I really do think it's sexy! I'm about to get a GS4 through Verizon to replace my crappy Sprint iPhone 4. So quick to jump to conclusions...

Talk about getting flamed geeeez! I really do think it's sexy! I'm about to get a GS4 through Verizon to replace my crappy Sprint iPhone 4. So quick to jump to conclusions...
Honestly I hope it doesn't look anything like this. The H6 will probably look really good.

This is the phone I am holding out for. I am due for a upgrade in October so this would be perfect. Here is my short wishlist for the phone...

1. More than likely the Note 3 will have a 1080p screen... if more than that, that'd be awesome.
2. I think the screen won't go above 6". I honestly don't want a phone that big. I have huge hands, and I have a S3 now and handling the Note 2 was just about perfect. If they went to around a 5.8" screen... that'd be perfect... with a small bezel of course. Or shit, just remove the bottom physical and capacitive buttons altogether, although I do like a physical home button...
3. I have had my S3 for over a year and it's getting laggy. Idk why, but I want to see at least a 2ghz quad-core processor with a killer GPU.
4. I don't like not being able to install apps onto my memory card in my S3. Either have at least 64gb of onboard storage, or be able to install apps on memory card.
5. S-pen (this is a given)
6. No lag whatsoever
7. More apps that support multi-window mode. The S3's multi-window apps are limited.
8. Great camera
9. At least 3gb memory

The S3 has most of this already, but I really want a more improved version with bigger screen. The S4 is not a worthwhile upgrade from the S3 and the Note 2 is getting old imo. And since my upgrade is due in October, i'll be just in time if the Note 3 releases then according to rumors.

Last edited:

Not trying to flame you but I just hope this thread remain on topic about the phone itself and it doesn't get 100 pages of people with there large phone comments that I have to go through trying see information about the phone instead of how large the phone is and how it is too big for them etc.. Because last two Samsung Note 1, & 2 was just that.. Nothing personal ;)

Not trying to flame you but I just hope this thread remain on topic about the phone itself and it doesn't get 100 pages of people with there large phone comments that I have to go through trying see information about the phone instead of how large the phone is and how it is too big for them etc.. Because last two Samsung Note 1, & 2 was just that.. Nothing personal ;)

I almost bought a Note 2 but decided to hold out at least for the GS4. The price point was kind of discouraging too.

Wonder if there'll be a Google edition.

The only thing that would keep me from buying this is if they decided not to use an OLED screen.

WOW im sooo excited. Cant wait to get my grubby little stink palms on this nasty snappy dragon with 800 teeth!

You know corporations release this kind of information as, RUMORS, to spin up the community. This is marketing 101. I can almost bet you that it will be the specs rumored about. However dont count on any 32GB models coming to VZW unless that is the default shipping internal capacity direct from Samsung and VZW has no choice in the matter.

Snapdragon 800 is a foregone conclusion. Samsung actually fabricates many Snapdragon SOCs for Qualcomm, and they aren't happy with how Exynos is working out this generation. It also costs them less to use Snapdragon than their own Exynos, go figure.

On top of that, the only top-of-the-line SOCs expected in the fall/winter are Snapdragon 800 and Tegra 4. Tegra 4 has shown to be a relative disaster in terms of power consumption. That is why they aren't getting any major design wins at this time (the other issue being availability). Until Intel is ready with their next smartphone SOC, Qualcomm has this wrapped up.

So yes, any rumor of a flagship shipping in late 2013 with a Snapdragon 800 is likely true. It's as likely as the next major car to be announced having a steering wheel.

So yes, any rumor of a flagship shipping in late 2013 with a Snapdragon 800 is likely true. It's as likely as the next major car to be announced having a steering wheel.

This is why I don't really understand the excitement around the Note 3 using the Snapdragon 800. To me there isn't really anything to get excited about as it doesn't differentiate itself. The HTC T6 will use the S800, LGs next phones will use the S800, the next Sony's will use the S800 and so on. Basically the base line for a high end Android device in the latter part of this year is the S800.

Using your analogy it isn't a very interesting announcement if someone announced the next major car has a steering wheel. But if they announced it didn't that would be interesting for better or worse.

Back