Galaxy MDT GeForce GTX 580 Video Card Review @ [H]

I read the comments as if H readers have very high expectations. We are used to something a little better than this. Please read it as a recognition for excellent job through the years, and also a hint for what we value as readers.

Its so damn difficult to find high quality unbiased reviews on the net. And H gpu test are bar none the best. And i am myself prepared to pay for the service directly, if that is what is needed in the future.

My point was that most of us have a mobo with Sli and CX surport these days that this card is marketed to and once you look at the price of this video card and what you get for said price , it just dosen't look good when you could afford two (2) HD6950 2Gb cards for the same money and i am sure everyone knows what that team of Caymans will bring to the table and why i just don't see the Gold award for such a pricey piece of hardware that will just hold you back in surround and doesn't offer the value of a single HD69xx.

Last edited:
just to make sure can this card do PLP on one card?? Also what about SLI and PLP then???

I see this card on sale somewhere for $429.00. Think it is worth Gold review at that price? I'm thinking of buying it but just for single monitor use. It's cheaper than a 7950 and has same or better performance.

Nail, head.

Now please back to discussing the Galaxy MDT GeForce GTX 580. Gold award status is thoroughly explained in the conclusion. This really is a good video card, and unique, no other GTX 580 like it.

Brent my brother bought this card and on 3 46" TVs the left and right displays get centered when running lower than 5760 x 1080, so the black bars you see in the review on the outsides of the monitors get placed right in the middle of the image :(

We tried SLi 460s in nV Surround and this issue does not occur. Its just too slow to be fun lol.

Did you try SLI Galaxy 580 MDTs to see if nV Surround could be used? If it works he'll just buy a second one to fix the problem. Hope it would as it would suck to have to buy 2 more regular 580s or 2 680s.

I know this is an old review, but it would be great to know if this works as these cards are a lot cheaper now.

Thanks.

Brent my brother bought this card and on 3 46" TVs the left and right displays get centered when running lower than 5760 x 1080, so the black bars you see in the review on the outsides of the monitors get placed right in the middle of the image :(

We tried SLi 460s in nV Surround and this issue does not occur. Its just too slow to be fun lol.

Did you try SLI Galaxy 580 MDTs to see if nV Surround could be used? If it works he'll just buy a second one to fix the problem. Hope it would as it would suck to have to buy 2 more regular 580s or 2 680s.

I know this is an old review, but it would be great to know if this works as these cards are a lot cheaper now.

Thanks.

I haven't seen this exact issue before, but it sounds like something that could be solved with some extra configuration and tweaking. I replied to your pm and we can troubleshoot there.

In answer to your other question, yes you can SLI two MDT GTX 580s and use NV Surround. They will act more or less exactly like a standard GTX 580 setup in this configuration, so you'll still have 3 displays for gaming. You'd have 8 for your desktop, though.

This was why I never faulted Nvidia for not enabling surround without SLI. Because you need two GPU's to properly run those high resolutions with the decent settings on the 40 nm generation anyway. The new cards are just good enough to handle it. Triple monitor is a high end setup anyway so if somebody can afford that they should be able to afford two cards too.

Back