Galaxy-level scale game engine demo

I've been watching this project off and on for the past few years. My mind boggles at the potential for something like this in original and licensed space combat IPs.

thats amazing. I'm going to have to play around with it. edit: boo :( only a deathmatch style game for d/l

thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
this project has been in the works for like 10 years...

Procedural generation at its best. That means it's literally just making things up as it goes along. The great challenge of that method is keeping it from being boring and barren (see criticism of the gameworlds of Fuel and Daggerfall).

They've been working on it since 2004 with no real release date yet. Their Development FAQ spends perhaps a bit too much time explaining why it isn't vaporware.

Bah... Let me know when they get to universe scale. THEN I will be impressed. ;)

That was the coolest thing that I have ever seen. I just about shat my self when the ship entered the atmosphere.

Imagine remaking SWG with that engine.

Am i the only one that really isnt buying into this being all that and a bag of chips? While i think something of this nature is really going to be amazing down the road, this tech demo is not technically impressive by any means. Especially with the procedural rendering and lack of detail. Its basically a sphere with a faux atmosphere wrapped around it. Its not taking a lot of horsepower at all to do this because the amount of detail is so incredibly small.

Ya I also agree, that this does not look that great. The lighting is what most, 1st year art students are capable of. Plus the fact that the light beam illuminates the stars far away :( Back the the drawing board. Or maybe get a license for the Unreal engine.

This was all essentially done by a single person. Yes, a lot of the assets look somewhat plain... but most of them are procedurally generated. Textures too. Is it perfect yet? No. This is a tech demo.

I'm genuinely impressed by the work shown thus far, but I'm not convinced a nearly infinite gamespace makes for fun gameplay. I like to explore as much as anyone, but even with this kind of detail things will get awfully repetitive. Just like EVE, Infinity will require a lot of emergent gameplay to stay interesting.

Last edited:
Very impressive to say the least. Can anyone find info confirming exactly what kind of game they intend to make from this? I read some comment somewhere claiming it was going to be a space MMO.

So anyone besides me recognize that logo? Remember the guys that were trying to make that game system several years back and they hyped it up really big time, and then it failed... Same logo... Doesn't give me much hope in this project.

So anyone besides me recognize that logo? Remember the guys that were trying to make that game system several years back and they hyped it up really big time, and then it failed... Same logo... Doesn't give me much hope in this project.

The side ways eight is the commonly used symbol for infinity. It's not a symbol easily trademarked by itself.

I am not saying that it is, or is not, the same company that failed to bring us the Phantom.

I'm wet...

That was just breath taking awesome...

I wish EvE Online did sometihng like that.

That has shit loads of potential. I would kill for a good space Sim.

I thought the starfield looked nice until I saw him selecting individual stars. Oh, my! Does everyone get a system?
Hope they allow mods. That engine and a Babylon 5 theme would be awesome.
Can't disagree. Or how about a real-time, first-person Master of Orion?

I hope it actually uses newtonian physics when flying the ship until it gets to sub-lightspeed. I hate X3 for the fact that all ships have a top speed in VACUUM. Please give ships a top acceleration instead. It will make space combat infinitely harder, and therefore fun.

As for the graphics, it just have to be passable. When it comes to space combat, with potientially many dozens of ships moving at different speed, accelerating, changing directions, and changing orientation not to mention firing different weapons at each other in a infinite space with no constricting borders like in FPS, too many pixels can slow any GPU down.

Last edited:
At first I was like meh...nothing new...then when the ship got closer to the planet, I was like :eek:.

This basic setup; Single star system, handful of planets/moons, plus Freelancer style gameplay/MMO would be my dream game.

I'm not sure I like how the ship is moving...it seems to move more like it is in air rather than vacuum. It turns and accelerates rather quickly for something of that mass moving in space...granted I don't know what "propulsion system" they use, but yeah, seems a little unnatural.

Otherwise, sweet! I love space games.

Edit:

Now that I've watched it all...maybe he needs to change the dynamics of the vehicle between the barrier of space and the planet. That's the only thing that bothers me. Otherwise, holy hell, that looks amazing when the ship goes out of the atmosphere.

Last edited:
In reviewing the website I found a downloadable combat demo. Has anyone checked it out?

I hope it actually uses newtonian physics when flying the ship until it gets to sub-lightspeed. I hate X3 for the fact that all ships have a top speed in VACUUM. Please give ships a top acceleration instead. It will make space combat infinitely harder, and therefore fun.

Ever played Babylon 5: I've Found Her? Newtonian combat in B5 Starfuries. Hyperspace navigation and combat. Infinitely harder is an understatement.

I haven't played it in years, and I understand that it has expanded well beyond the brief 'preview' campaign I played, but here's the link to their site if you are interested:

http://ifhgame.ru/main/

At first I wasn't impressed, but then I noticed that he's clicking on individual stars in the night sky!

And the stmospheric descent is definitely pant shittingly awesome.

Ever played Babylon 5: I've Found Her? Newtonian combat in B5 Starfuries. Hyperspace navigation and combat. Infinitely harder is an understatement.

I haven't played it in years, and I understand that it has expanded well beyond the brief 'preview' campaign I played, but here's the link to their site if you are interested:

http://ifhgame.ru/main/

:eek: OMFG!!! When did B5 game come out? I love B5, its the best scifi ever made.

Back