Galaxy Abandons North American GPU Market @ [H]

Sad to seem them leave the market here. My Galaxy GTX 680 runs great, so they've done well as far as I'm concerned.

Geez, what a bad day, on top of Sony selling its Vaio division. :(

I love my HOF GTX 780.

As an owner of a 650ti Boost and a 660 ti, this bums me out (especially since the 650 is on ebay right now).

I just don't get it. There's something missing. Electronics companies don't just give up on the U.S. wholesale, and now we have both a GPU company and the Vaio brand being pulled out of N.A. altogether. Related? Probably not, but maybe there is a similar thought process going on behind the scenes. What I wouldn't give for 5 minutes and a few questions with those execs. Where's the logic?

Kind of a shame. They made a good name for themselves here on the forum. I've recommended them endlessly over the last couple of years and have owned a few of their cards myself.

Well, all the best to the Galaxy rep that posted here, always sucks when there are mass layoffs. I also feel bad for any owners who may or may not have warranties now, but even worse for the guys who are about to be out of jobs.

Shitty situation all around.

As an owner of a 650ti Boost and a 660 ti, this bums me out (especially since the 650 is on ebay right now).

I just don't get it. There's something missing. Electronics companies don't just give up on the U.S. wholesale, and now we have both a GPU company and the Vaio brand being pulled out of N.A. altogether. Related? Probably not, but maybe there is a similar thought process going on behind the scenes. What I wouldn't give for 5 minutes and a few questions with those execs. Where's the logic?
Probably a combo of small margins, large warranty costs, and a tough market to compete in, if I had to take a guess.

Probably a combo of small margins, large warranty costs, and a tough market to compete in, if I had to take a guess.

I just think EVGA, whether warranted or not, has a stellar reputation in the states. That probably contributed to the situation. I'm NOT saying it isn't deserved, as their CS really is fantastic - but that being said, there are also a lot of people that just blindly buy EVGA and disregard everything else in terms of nvidia brands. I know quite a few friends that are like this - for them it's EVGA and only EVGA. They won't consider anything else.

I dunno. I think that is a partial contributor - EVGA just has an insanely good reputation in the states and it is hard to compete with them. Heck, looking at amazon's top 100 GPUs - the entire list is nearly all EVGA. It's nuts. I don't know what the situation in Europe / Asia is, but EVGA really does seem to have NA locked down in terms of nvidia sales. And that combined with razor thin margins, like you said, made it all the harder for Galaxy I imagine.

Really is a shame. I had a bud with a HOF 780 and after seeing what his HOF could do, I really was impressed. And I was rather skeptical at first. Sucks to see them go.

It's a pretty simple formula. Offer well priced products, good customer service, and a community forum. Voila, success!

Just got my 760s because of how well their 600 series 660 ti overclocked. This really sucks, guess I won't take a chance with anything other than a brand that has been around for a while with awesome customer service.

I had purchased the 780HOF last November but changed my mind the next day and held out for the R9 290 two weeks later. Very glad I did now. Sad to hear about another card manufacturer going down.

Geez, what a bad day, on top of Sony selling its Vaio division. :(

I love my HOF GTX 780.

I hate working on Sony laptops. Pain in the ass to take apart and a pain in the ass to get parts for in my experience. Good riddance.

I know there was a Galaxy rep around here, but after the multi-day challenge of trying to register my 680 with them at their buggy website, I never tried the brand again.

I noticed their cards were gone from newegg a few weeks ago when looking for the HOF. Sad to see them go. Hopefully their NA reps land on their feet. Hopefully their warranty holds up, my bro has 760's in SLI...

As a side not, buying Galaxy HOF 780's $300 ea;):p

I hate working on Sony laptops. Pain in the ass to take apart and a pain in the ass to get parts for in my experience. Good riddance.

They were the first, or among the first to debut technologies we take in laptops for granted. For instance, LED backlit screens in the Vaio TX in 2005, glossy screens in the Vaio TR in 2003, switchable graphics in the Vaio SZ in 2006, webcam in the Vaio C1 in 1998, integrated Blu-Ray drive in the Vaio AR in 2006, etc.

Plus coming out with some unconventional and striking models like the Vaio UX.

Yes, they definitely had their severe issues as you mentioned with repairability, pricing, driver support, etc. But there was no other manufacturer like them and I'll be missing them anyways.

Bad economy means that the average consumer doesn't spend as much money on frivolous purchases. As you may know by now the way our laws work, the rich are getting richer exponentially day by day. Because of this transfer of wealth, companies like Wal Mart are having to layoff 2,300 already underpaid employees as poor people can't afford the items at Wal Mart. They have priced themselves out of the working poor's budgets. Over a thousand people including college graduates are living in the storm drains under Las Vegas. These people are not drug addicts or mentally ill. They simply can't afford housing because of the transfer of wealth from the working poor to the rich elite.

Well what does this have to do with companies pulling out of North America? To reach consumers with your product it requires tons of advertising that is not cheap. America is not small so you have to pay multiple outlets to run your ads. Since only the few have enough income to afford luxuries such as Sony VAIO and $700 video cards, the sales aren't high enough to warrant staying in the market or spending money on advertising. It doesn't make fiscal sense to do so.

Who are you going to sell your product to? It surely won't be to blue collar workers. Migrant workers can't afford it. School teachers can't really afford them unless they cut out many other things from their life. If the people that are most likely to purchase your product can't afford it, then it's time to leave the market. Sure the people that are getting richer can afford it, but their consumer purchasing power is limited due to the fact that it's just too few of them. How many XBOX One consoles, Sony VAIO, 4K TV's, etc does one man need?

Both my galaxy 8800gt cards are still running today. I've given one to my in-laws for their pc and my wife's pc is running my other one.

Well, its sad to see them go. They were my go to for cheap cards since they were always readily available at my local Best Buy. Guess I'll be sticking with XFX AMD cards and PNY Nvidia for the "easy access, cheap, I need them now" cards from my local store, although besides that I never bought from them. All my gaming rigs have other brands such as EVGA, ASUS, or Gigabyte.

Just a quick clarification here, but I thought Vaio was actually sold? It no longer belongs to Sony, kinda like how Thinkpad now belongs to Lenovo instead of IBM, which is a bit different than Vaio leaving the NA market, since it may come back under the new owner. I dunno, I didn't really do that much research into it, it's just a headline that I read. That being said, I always though Vaio was doing poorly in NA, so its no surprise to me.

Bad economy means that the average consumer doesn't spend as much money on frivolous purchases. As you may know by now the way our laws work, the rich are getting richer exponentially day by day. Because of this transfer of wealth, companies like Wal Mart are having to layoff 2,300 already underpaid employees as poor people can't afford the items at Wal Mart. They have priced themselves out of the working poor's budgets. Over a thousand people including college graduates are living in the storm drains under Las Vegas. These people are not drug addicts or mentally ill. They simply can't afford housing because of the transfer of wealth from the working poor to the rich elite.

Well what does this have to do with companies pulling out of North America? To reach consumers with your product it requires tons of advertising that is not cheap. America is not small so you have to pay multiple outlets to run your ads. Since only the few have enough income to afford luxuries such as Sony VAIO and $700 video cards, the sales aren't high enough to warrant staying in the market or spending money on advertising. It doesn't make fiscal sense to do so.

Who are you going to sell your product to? It surely won't be to blue collar workers. Migrant workers can't afford it. School teachers can't really afford them unless they cut out many other things from their life. If the people that are most likely to purchase your product can't afford it, then it's time to leave the market. Sure the people that are getting richer can afford it, but their consumer purchasing power is limited due to the fact that it's just too few of them. How many XBOX One consoles, Sony VAIO, 4K TV's, etc does one man need?

I can't support anything you just said as it relates to this company, and the customers it served, or this piece. Never has the video card/pc gaming market been more accesible. Entry cards are more powerful than they have ever been and more capable of playing games with acceptable settings. GPU life cycle is also lasting longer. Galaxy didn't just have $700 video cards. Typically when a company goes under you can point to one area and that is management not having the vision, knowledge, and ability to run a company.

It would be interesting to contact some of your fellow review sites based in Europe or Asia, or even site staff that are based in those continents to see if the sales and support for Galaxy are suffering in similar fashion.

They were the first, or among the first to debut technologies we take in laptops for granted. For instance, LED backlit screens in the Vaio TX in 2005, glossy screens in the Vaio TR in 2003, switchable graphics in the Vaio SZ in 2006, webcam in the Vaio C1 in 1998, integrated Blu-Ray drive in the Vaio AR in 2006, etc.

Yes, they definitely had their severe issues as you mentioned with repairability, pricing, driver support, etc. But there was no other manufacturer like them and I'll be missing them anyways.

I just got done working on the Sony TR3A that my stepdad still uses all the time. Fantastic little unit. Sony's may be nightmares to disassemble and repair (I seem to recall one unit that actually used the 2.5" drive as a component of structural integrity, fucking blew my mind) but yea, "Vaio" anything is often like looking at a production model concept car. Shit that outwardly seems to make no goddamn sense, but then get used in other things to great effect.

Take this political crap elsewhere, it has nothing to do with this thread or why Galaxy left NA. All you said is political opinion. I get paid less than the average school teacher and can afford this stuff, it;s called a budget.:rolleyes:

Really dude. REALLY? :rolleyes:

Get this crap outta here. Pretty sure Galaxy sold everything from the low end to the high end, but just to entertain your nonsense for a second, I bought a Pentium 200 over a decade ago and it cost me more than 500$. I also bought a Matrox millenium way back in the day. Were they cheap? Fuck no. Were prices then comparable to prices now? Pretty sure PC hardware prices have inflated slightly, but not NEARLY as much as other items have.

I'd argue that PC hardware prices have not inflated to the same extent as other items. But this is all aside from the point. Take your political bullshit elsewhere, as someone else stated.

Let's just say the loss of jobs that occurred at Galaxy, and the owners left without warranties potentially, is just a shame and leave it at that. I especially feel bad for the dudes who are now unemployed.

Last edited:
$700 cards are halo products and not the big volume sales that companies tend to rely on, as far as I know.

If you want a better representation of the general gaming public than HardForum, go to reddit.com/r/buildapac and read over most people's builds - AMD FX-6300s, NVIDIA 760, AMD 270s, etc. Not 780 Tis and 4930ks.

Did Galaxy have B&M distribution?

Take this political crap elsewhere, it has nothing to do with this thread or why Galaxy left NA. All you said is political opinion. I get paid less than the average school teacher and can afford this stuff, it;s called a budget.:rolleyes:

Very true. But that means that you have to make a choice to not have other luxury items in your life. Obviously for many people video cards are lower on their list of "must have items". You're going to see more companies go under in the future. When one goes under it opens space for another to take over. Just the way the world works.

Man, what a shame. Very sudden too. My respect and condolences to the Galaxy rep here - you were awesome. My GTX-560 is running strong, and I expect it to last a while. Shame more people didn't buy the cards, as they were truly some good stuff.

Shame... I had multiple Galaxy cards over the years -- they were actually my preferred vendor for nV cards. The only one that failed, if I remember, was a 480 GTX (one of three) and that was replaced very quickly indeed.

Gonna miss Galaxy. I used them on occasion. But mainly stayed with EVGA Classified's for last 6~7 years now. Still have a Galaxy 580 GXL and 680 GC sitting in my spares box. Only used Galaxy as single cards, no problems what so ever. Gonna miss another alternative to EVGA.

I was thinking about getting to 780 TI HOF, but instead went back to EVGA 780 TI Classifieds for my 2 main gaming rigs. No real reason why, just looked better to me. Until I setup new water-blocks for 3-way or 2-way SLI.

I never had any problems with the 4~5 Galaxy cards I have used. I just used them for my spare gaming rigs when friends came over for holidays...

Sony has never been a company that put user serviceability at the forefront of their design philosophy.

That aside, it's kind of hard to design portable products that are small and thin, like so many folks demand, without drastically reducing or even eliminating serviceability.

Remember also that most companies in the tech arena view their products as disposable.
Say what you like about business greed, but we consumers are a large factor in that mentality.

We constantly demand faster, smaller, cheaper products and then are somehow surprised that a company's perspective on service doesn't extend beyond a year or two.
Intel, NVIDIA and AMD would be fools to adopt the viewpoint of a 10 or 15-year product lifespan.

We can't have it both ways.

Truly sad news to see a company who has a good product go down the tubes like that...

Damn. I switched over to Galaxy once Sparkle failed me so miserably in customer service, looks like it's back to EVGA or Asus next round

Odd that BFG should come up. I am running my backup GPU, a BFGTech GeForce GTX 260 OCX MAXCORE because my XFX 7850 failed. I bought that BFG largely on the strength of the [H] review. Got a BFG GT8800 that still works, too.

Too bad about Galaxy, but after BFG I have to wonder if Nvidia has something to do with these graphics card companies Folding (couldn't resist the pun).

The only Nvidia cards I would buy today would be from EVGA or Asus.

Back