Gabe Newell says Linux is the future of gaming, new hardware to come out

Also, you are delusional if you think this move towards linux by valve has anything to do with them actually caring about open source software or linux itself. It is all about money, and Gabe is extremely scared that his company is going to lose the foothold they have with digital distribution because of the Windows store. That is the ONLY reason. If it weren't, he would have started this crusade many years ago. No, he waited until a worthy competitor came out to care.

Bingo. And there's nothing wrong with this but ultimately this is the reason. It's certainly not because the market is screaming for a Linux gaming PC, at least not current Steam users who pretty much have rejected Linux to this point.

Another thing that caught my attention was that flu!d, you say that Linux has comparable applications that are more than enough than those that Windows users have. Some are, yes, but some are vastly lacking. Microsoft Office has set the standard for office software, and the other suites are playing catch up. Libre Office is nowhere near where Office is, and if you try to open Word, Excel, or just about anything created in Office it really distorts the formatting. The business world has no time to muddle through and fix this, so they use what works. Sure, if everyone in the business used Libre Office, it wouldn't be a problem, but there are very little businesses out there that are going to use software with no support, and for the majority of open source software, there is no support beyond the community. That is simply not acceptable. I am not saying this can't change, but the way things have been up until now, they haven't, and open source has been around for a long time. I just don't see this changing.

GCC is a buggy pile, and they break things regularly with each release. GDB is horrible at debugging (maybe an overstatement, but compared to the alternative, it is horrible). API's for the kernel, toolchain, and environment are constantly breaking. There are a lot of different system inits available such as OpenRC, Upstart, SysInit, SystemV, etc... Which to code for? There are really no standards that any distros choose to follow, because they all think theirs is better. Distros can't even decide on a common window manager anymore! These are just some of the reasons developers choose to develop in Windows and for Windows. There are standards, and there is usually a lot of documentation when it changes and why it changes, not just because the devs thought it should. This is a strength in open source in some ways, but when it comes to developing and supporting software in Linux, it is a nightmare.

As an end user, I can understand your argument, but please do some research before you start providing reasons that you think it is better. Linux is great for servers, supercomputers, appliances, robotics, and most industrial type automation. It is even good for the desktop, but not in the ways you are describing. 90% of the time Windows just works, and it works with almost all hardware out there (excluding specialized hardware with specific tasks, such as robotic arms and the like).

When I used ubuntu, I told it to install my nvidia drivers like it asked me to. Sure, this seems easy and nice I thought, until it didn't work. Then, it took quite a bit of lib updating, lib removing, etc... to even get the drivers to work, and then I find out they are about 5 versions behind the ones I needed. I eventually just went and got the proper drivers from the nvidia site and installed them manually, but would a new user be able to do all of that? No. I don't care what you say, the answer is still no. It required quite a bit of command line navigation and file moving, manipulation, and linking. Why ask me to install the drivers if it wasn't actually going to do it? Ubuntu was supposed to be easy! I found it quite the opposite, and it was very limiting since I am used to Gentoo. A normal user would have given up after it failed the first time. Then I had to get my wireless card to work, and gave up, because guess what, Ubuntu (and every other distro out there) used a different conf file setup and it was a pain to get it working (I did all of this while wired to the router btw).

I love linux, but it still has a long way to go to be desktop viable.

My one and only point, and this is pretty much the crux of it, is that I believe that it would be nice to see Linux become a viable gaming alternative to Windows. I would like to see the day where I can buy COD, for example, to play natively on my Ubuntu PC as well as my Windows PC.

If you're happy gaming under Windows, good for you, congratulations, I also game under Windows and for a cobbled together OS it works very well.

And I've yet to have a formatting issue with Libre Office.

Whether it will ever happen, whether it is viable for Linux to become a competitor to the socially accepted Windows Desktop is just speculation - But if someone is trying to create a distribution platform for Linux based gaming titles, it's difficult to argue that such a move is nessecarily a bad thing for the gaming community.

I couldn't give a rats arse about Steambox, not the slightest hoot.

Well great you lust for Linux could set PC gaming back another 5 years.

It's pretty irrelevant what Gabe says, when he starts releasing multiple games per year then his opinion may become relevant.

Also, LOL Linux.

GCC is a buggy pile, and they break things regularly with each release. GDB is horrible at debugging (maybe an overstatement, but compared to the alternative, it is horrible). API's for the kernel, toolchain, and environment are constantly breaking. [...]

So much FUD! Love it!

So there's going to be three announcements from Valve next week? Here are my predictions:

1. Steambox details (release date, pricing)
2. Partnership with Google (Android based OS, Google branding on console)
3. Half Life 3 timed exclusive for the new platform

So there's going to be three announcements from Valve next week? Here are my predictions:

1. Steambox details (release date, pricing)
2. Partnership with Google (Android based OS, Google branding on console)
3. Half Life 3 timed exclusive for the new platform

If they were going to partner with Google (which I doubt, since they are competitors in the Software App store market) wouldn't they go with Chrome rather than Android (since it is more robust for the PC environment)? I would expect them to continue their Ubuntu Linux partnership rather than starting a risky Google one ... I tend to agree on the first and third items though

If they were going to partner with Google (which I doubt, since they are competitors in the Software App store market) wouldn't they go with Chrome rather than Android (since it is more robust for the PC environment)? I would expect them to continue their Ubuntu Linux partnership rather than starting a risky Google one ... I tend to agree on the first and third items though

I think I have to agree here. IF they partnered with Google, Chrome OS would make a lot more sense than Android, for several reasons. Most importantly, it's an OS designed to be used on a PC with a mouse and keyboard. Android is not, and would have to be heavily modified to work as a proper desktop solution (and would probably still have a lot of cumbersome issues given that every android app out there is designed for touch).

I still don't see Chrome as being a logical OS either though, considering everything is web based. A browser based Steam client seams illogical, as would browser based gaming. To make it non-browser based I assume would again require a heavily modified OS, thereby defeating the purpose of using Chrome in the first place.

I think it would be most sensible to work with one of the more popular Linux solutions (Ubuntu or Mint?) and just put a Steam coat of paint on it. Everything will work as it should with little modification this way.

The Google comment was a bit tongue in cheek on my part. However, Google was showing interest in a Android based console a few months back, and they've got a lot of capital (which is something Valve will need a lot of if they want to really get into the livingroom console wars).

The Google comment was a bit tongue in cheek on my part. However, Google was showing interest in a Android based console a few months back, and they've got a lot of capital (which is something Valve will need a lot of if they want to really get into the livingroom console wars).

Google and Apple both would likely want to launch a console using their own mobile App stores some time this year or next ... it is unlikely Google would want to align with Valve on this since they are competitors ... Google already has a Chrome store and would likely pursue putting more PC software on it rather than helping a competitor profit in an emerging market or expand into the mobile app arena ;)

LOL...look at all the MS fan boys trashing something that hasn't even been released yet. The underlying OS doesn't mean jack shit on a gaming console. If they release good games for the value on a reasonable priced console gamers will give it a shot. If it still flops then you whiners can start shitting on it again.

LOL...look at all the MS fan boys trashing something that hasn't even been released yet. The underlying OS doesn't mean jack shit on a gaming console. If they release good games for the value on a reasonable priced console gamers will give it a shot. If it still flops then you whiners can start shitting on it again.

I think it is less about MS fan status and more about PC elitist status ... PC gamers are generally higher end consumers than console gamers ... we buy more hardware and software and we are dedicated to our pastime longer ... I want to make PC gaming even more elite not less ... we do that by making higher end exclusives for the PC that use functionality that consoles can never provide rather than courting the lower end gamer crowd that use consoles currently ... I am not opposed to Linux, only to the Steambox itself ... making PC gaming more accessible to the masses is likely to hurt PC gaming by watering it down, not help it by making it even more elite and exclusive ... PC gaming is a Mercedes or Jaguar currently (do we really want to turn it into a Kia or Honda like Console gaming) ... now if they introduce a true PC Steambox with high end processor/graphics/RAM/Storage at $999 or higher (the bare minimum for a reasonable quality rig with i7, SLI, 8GB+ RAM, and SSD storage) then I will take back my complaints and concerns ;)

and mine...

1. bag of double cheeseburgers
2. bucket of chicken
3. all you can eat pizza buffet

Gabe is so predictable.

and mine...

1. bag of double cheeseburgers
2. bucket of chicken
3. all you can eat pizza buffet

Gabe is so predictable.

It's funny how your signature perfectly describes you.

But please, carry on blindly hating on Valve and Gabe Newell because he dislikes your beloved Windows 8.

Last edited:
So much FUD! Love it!

Actually it isn't fud. When your distro relies on a stable toolchain and compiler the way that gentoo does, the changes matter a lot. I remember when GCC 4 came out, and completely broke everything. It took distros over a year to even be able to use it, because of all the bad compilations. GCC 4 just need a lot more work. GCC 3 was stable, and I understand that things need to be innovated, but at least wait until you get something half way stable to release it. I also remember the kernel abi completely changing and it taking the video card manufacturers several months to just get a driver out because the change was sudden with no warning. Innovation is needed, but so is advanced warning and documentation.

For my cross platform projects, I always compile in GCC and VS. That way, I get to see which compiler lets what by, and the differences. And GDB is really horrible compared to the VS debugger, most developers will tell you the same.

But off topic.

Flu!d, I want linux to become viable, I was just responding on a lot of misinformation in this thread. It would be awesome if I could use linux to game, do office stuff, and develop. I do use it to develop a little, but honestly (mostly preference and superior tools) I would rather work in VS. It could be viable for office things too if everyone in my office used Libre, not MS Office. My mangled documents come from creating in MS Office and opening in Libre Office. It is truly a nightmare trying to straighten everything up. And the gaming? They need more AAA titles, but that won't make everyone switch overnight. A company would have to put out a killer title, say the caliber of Battlefield exclusively on Linux to get even 25% of Windows users to switch over, and that will never happen because it would be suicide. The first time the new user has problems and has to open a command line (and it will happen), they switch back, frustrated.

You say Windows is a cobbled together OS, well, what is Linux? It uses a Linux kernel, GNU userland, several different init systems, and most of it is supported by the community. This is a strength and also a weakness when it comes to everyday use and businesses developing for Linux. For it to become viable, it needs some standards. I wish it would happen, but I honestly don't think the community will allow it to happen because everyone thinks their software does the job better and won't agree on anything.

Your argument was that you think it is great to have options. Well, I do to, but without all the drama and misinformation. Ubuntu has a proprietary "app" store also. Why did Valve flock there? Because Gabe doesn't view that as a threat (yet) as Linux does not have the desktop market share. Lets pretend that Linux gets huge and Gabe gets what he wants. Valve officially supports Ubuntu, but when Linux gets big, is he going to run from there also because of their proprietary store? Gabe is being hypocritical and childish because MS wants 30% of their store sales that he wouldn't even have to use if he wants to continue his business model. Canonical takes a cut of their store also. It is like he is running with no destination or purpose.

Last edited:
Actually it isn't fud. When your distro relies on a stable toolchain and compiler the way that gentoo does, the changes matter a lot.

This is too much fun! What the hell does this have to do with anything?! Never mind... it's just random griping. You're stringing together what sounds like coherent thoughts, but it doesn't form any sort of relevant argument, it's just nonsense.

"Something based on linux could never work because there were once bugs in a compiler when it went from one major version to the next, and we all know that doesn't happen anywhere else, and Linus -- known for being a nazi when it comes to not breaking user-space, is continually breaking.. oh wait... I mean.. stable... ABI... need... no.."

The rest of that post is just more confused gibberish.

Gabe is being hypocritical and childish because MS wants 30% of their store sales that he wouldn't even have to use if he wants to continue his business model.

Try to keep up, he's preparing for the future, that's what leaders do.

-funroll-loops.

This is too much fun! ...[ more complaining ]...

-funroll-loops.

So, belittling me for using Gentoo? Wow, I must need to use whatever distro you think is best. That will probably make me happier?

I was just posting examples. It was in response to Flu!d stating that most software on Linux is superior to its Windows counterparts and that porting games was "just compiling it for a new system". My point was that a lot of this happens regularly, but hey, what do I know, I only use and develop on both ecosystems. But, honestly, if I am wrong, please correct me because I am always up for learning something new, even if I am completely wrong. No sarcasm, just tell me, don't try to belittle me for not agreeing with you. I like to use and test new software, and GCC doesn't seem to like to work for about a year after an update or a new version is released. There is a reason the distros lag several versions behind in this area. You seem intelligent from your other posts and I am sure I could learn a lot from you, so please, post information and not pokes.

Yes, Gabe claims he is preparing for the future, and that is great! He just doesn't need to state that it is because Windows is becoming a closed ecosystem, because he is trading one for another if he is going to only support Ubuntu. I would love competition for desktop gaming, and running games in Linux is great! Of course, finding libs that aren't included by default (such as 32 bit libs on a 64 bit system) isn't easy, and only requires a web search and a hope that someone else has had that problem and posted the fix. Steam should really step it up and integrate the package manager into the game install to do this for the user. The less problems the end user has installing and opening, the more people will want to try it.

Linux has come a long way, and it continues to grow, and maybe Valve can make the final push to get it into the gaming area. But until we have some standardization, it won't last long.

But please, carry on blindly hating on Valve and Gabe Newell because he dislikes your beloved Windows 8.

I love Steam and think it is one of the best things to happen to PC gaming in the last decade ... but don't the PC crowd abuse the Apple crowd for idealizing Steve Jobs ... Gabe Newell is one of the technical leaders in the PC arena but he is not the only one and we certainly don't need to blindly follow his every idea without at least questioning it (which is all most of us are doing) :cool:

Ballmer tried that with Windows 8 and look what happened with that.

Yeah, second most used OS for Steam that just blew past Linux like is didn't exist, which it barely does among Steam users. And this isn't hating on Linux, it's just the state of Steam currently. Hating on Windows 8 ISN'T enough for desktop Linux to do well as a gaming platform.

Yeah, second most used OS for Steam that just blew past Linux like is didn't exist, which it barely does among Steam users. And this isn't hating on Linux, it's just the state of Steam currently. Hating on Windows 8 ISN'T enough for desktop Linux to do well as a gaming platform.

Wasn't hating on Widows 8 and not only talking about Steam....just stating facts. #dealwithit

...and only requires a web search and a hope that someone else has had that problem and posted the fix...
Yeah, this has been a large portion of my experience with Linux. Try and install something, doesn't work, try to install a certain package to achieve what I was previously doing on Windows easily, doesn't work...

...go on Google and pray someone else has had the exact same problem with the exact same package on the exact same distribution and on occasion even the exact same version of that distribution. If not, I'll have a lot of time wasting to do trying to figure it out myself and quite possibly never achieve what I was trying to achieve anyway.

I know things are improving, but if you want to get by with Linux and drop Windows and use your computer for anything other than web browsing, you have to be prepared for a lot more fucking around.

I do think flu!d underestimates the difficulty in porting programs from Windows to Linux, because if it were that simple, surely a lot of the Windows programs I use would have been ported to Linux, especially given that in my field of work there are a lot of Linux users (if the general population is 1 in 60 using Linux, in my work it's probably closer to 1 in 2 or 1 in 3).

Porting games is not difficult if you're building specifically for eventual cross-platform porting. It's very easy for id to port their games, as they build atop OpenGL and their own cross-platform input and audio systems, but for others, it tends to be significantly more difficult.

The easiest game engine to make is the one you make for a single platform. Crossing platforms entails an entirely different and more complex approach.

Be careful with that statement...Ballmer tried that with Windows 8 and look what happened with that.

Ballmer was never a leader, much less a technical one. He was and will always be a loud sales man.

I hear Linux is the future of OS for so long now....
Not that Linux is bad, it sure isnt, it is great.
But Windows is great too and it dominate the domestic PC market... Linux will only grow for good when WIndows isnt great.

I know... WIndows 8 have metro. But Windows 8 is Windows 7 with metro and tweaked. It is much mroe simple for a long time Windows user (as most are) to bring start back then Install and get used with Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc..

I think its "rad and cool" now days to go aguinst windows i guess

Not that Linux is bad, it sure isnt, it is great.
But Windows is great too and it dominate the domestic PC market... Linux will only grow for good when WIndows isnt great.

I know... WIndows 8 have metro. But Windows 8 is Windows 7 with metro and tweaked. It is much mroe simple for a long time Windows user (as most are) to bring start back then Install and get used with Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc..

I think its "rad and cool" now days to go aguinst windows i guess

If you think Valve's Steambox plans are about trying to make Linux "the future of OS" you are confused.

All these straw man arguments against - if not just outright misinterpretations of - the basic idea that Valve would like to make Steam available on multiple OS platforms are a little baffling. Its not a wild concept.

Last edited:
I think it is less about MS fan status and more about PC elitist status ... PC gamers are generally higher end consumers than console gamers ... we buy more hardware and software and we are dedicated to our pastime longer ... I want to make PC gaming even more elite not less ... we do that by making higher end exclusives for the PC that use functionality that consoles can never provide rather than courting the lower end gamer crowd that use consoles currently ... I am not opposed to Linux, only to the Steambox itself ... making PC gaming more accessible to the masses is likely to hurt PC gaming by watering it down, not help it by making it even more elite and exclusive ... PC gaming is a Mercedes or Jaguar currently (do we really want to turn it into a Kia or Honda like Console gaming) ... now if they introduce a true PC Steambox with high end processor/graphics/RAM/Storage at $999 or higher (the bare minimum for a reasonable quality rig with i7, SLI, 8GB+ RAM, and SSD storage) then I will take back my complaints and concerns ;)

I see what you're saying here but I think there are much bigger headwinds to deal with first. If we look at the latest Steam hardware survey results, it appears only about one-third of the users are gaming in 1080 resolution or higher and 15% are using Intel graphics. (And I didn't have the heart to count up all the low-end GPUs from NVIDIA and AMD, but I'd bet it adds up to a majority.) At one point Valve claimed 25% of its users were stuck on DirectX 9. This isn't reflected in the survey results so maybe they were only referring to China at the time.

Either way, before all yous start complaining about how Linux is going to water down the PC gaming experience, I would say go out there and clean up your laptop gamers first. This Steambox is probably going to be significantly better than what your average PC gamer is using right now, if anything. In fact by the looks of it the current console gamers are probably using more sophisticated hardware than your average PC Steam gamer.

Though to answer your last part... I think Gabe already said that they intend to have three levels, a low-end, a mid-end, and a high-end. Whether or not Valve will release one in each category, or just focus on one and ask their partners to fill in the rest, I'm not sure. Though some people are speculating that the low-end box is just going to be for cloud gaming (something like OnLive or maybe a stream from one's desktop PC like Shield, etc.).

I don't see why you need an i7 + SLI for a 1080p display... which is what a TV is.

Linux is the present. It already dominates in smartphones, tablets, super computers, embedded devices, and servers.

MS is failing in every new field, and are only getting by because of Windows and Office lock-in on the desktop.

I don't see why you need an i7 + SLI for a 1080p display... which is what a TV is.

Because TVs are about to make the jump to 4K ... and as I said I don't want a system to plug into a TV ... we need to figure out how to get people gaming at 1600P or 1440P or 3 or more monitors ... making it easier to game on TVs doesn't do that ;)

Because TVs are about to make the jump to 4K ... and as I said I don't want a system to plug into a TV ... we need to figure out how to get people gaming at 1600P or 1440P or 3 or more monitors ... making it easier to game on TVs doesn't do that ;)

Why would Valve try to sell a living room console for TVs that nobody has? And for those who do have 4K TVs... anybody is going to be free to make their own "Steambox".

Why would Valve try to sell a living room console for TVs that nobody has? And for those who do have 4K TVs... anybody is going to be free to make their own "Steambox".

He's about 2 years early on that prediction, and that's if 4K Tv''s are cheap enough for the average consumer even then, which I doubt.

I very much dislike Windows 8. If you had bothered to read any of my posts on the subject before making such a dumb claim, you'd see I've made that point consistently clear.

What doesn't help really is the retarded FUD swirling around Win8. It's selling quite well in consumer spaces, and has been shooting up the Steam hardware survey rankings quickly. Both of those things disturb me because any impetus for MS to fix the main problems (i.e. relatively few devices running Win8 are touch screen tablets, and even on tablets there are no reasons to imitate underpowered ARM tablet/handheld UI paradigms) won't come from consumer feedback, I'm hoping the massive resistance from business users (which are closing in on 75% of Windows sales) will make MS reconsider this Metro mess.

But still, on point, Gabe's irrational hate for Windows 8 is very much misplaced. A bag of cheeseburgers should calm him down. He might share if you ask nicely. :D

Both of those things disturb me because any impetus for MS to fix the main problems (i.e. relatively few devices running Win8 are touch screen tablets, and even on tablets there are no reasons to imitate underpowered ARM tablet/handheld UI paradigms) won't come from consumer feedback, I'm hoping the massive resistance from business users (which are closing in on 75% of Windows sales) will make MS reconsider this Metro mess.

Why wouldn't Microsoft want to imitate tablet paradigms on a tablet? Battery life is king on tablets, the less power apps use the better. As for business users accounting for close to75% of Windows sales, that doesn't seem to add up. Windows 8 is actually gaining market share and 7 is has been pretty much flat according to the net traffic counters. You've quoted numbers citing super low adoption rates of 8 in business and if we were to assume those numbers are correct then shouldn't 7 be showing growth greater than 8? Assuming that 75% of all Windows sales are business and that business are not adopting 8 much but 7 overwhelming.

Of course as XP nears the end of support I would expect that 7 might show some growth but I'd be surprised to see sustained growth of 7 over 8.

Linux is the present. It already dominates in smartphones, tablets, super computers, embedded devices, and servers.

MS is failing in every new field, and are only getting by because of Windows and Office lock-in on the desktop.

Fail argument. Which version of Linux is dominating? Until Linux solidifies and streamlines itself it will never be usable for the majority of desktop and business users which is why Windows is the dominant leader.

You also have to remember that many business are still running Vista or XP. Windows 7 still lags behind those in the business world. The majority of those users are just above basic computer literacy and only know enough to use their programs or to get by.

Stop and think about the majority of tech users trying to adopt Windows 8. Windows 8 is a fairly easy OS to use and navigate but to hear the majority of "tech" users you would think it is a labyrinth that takes a mythological Greek hero to navigate.

Now think of a barely computer literate user trying to navigate a Linux distro. The reality of it is, Linux is not ready for adoption at this time. Give it a generation or two and some refinement and Linux will be where Windows was back in 95. Mint and Ubuntu are both excellent beginner distros but neither or ready for full time adoption.

Using Linux on your android smartphone or ipad doesn't count as using it as an everyday OS and it is an argument that gets really trite. Whatever the Steambox uses is going to be a very simplified version and will be streamlined similar to using your ipad or android tablet or phone.

He's about 2 years early on that prediction, and that's if 4K Tv''s are cheap enough for the average consumer even then, which I doubt.

4k TVs are already cheap enough for the average consumer. $1300 for a 50 inch

Then how come it has hardly any game support for big PC titles? See the problem with your argument. Even if you are a Linux fanboy you should be rooting for a windows based steambox from valve. Because the chances of getting traction behind Linux dev are directly tied to PC gaming performance. Not that the better AAA titles that shipped for Linux did so in the days when MS head a death grip on everything.

Fail argument. Which version of Linux is dominating? Until Linux solidifies and streamlines itself it will never be usable for the majority of desktop and business users which is why Windows is the dominant leader.

For the "majority of desktop users" it is already more than competent and usable. Hell, even Chrome OS is more than usable for them... and you really can't do anything on Chrome OS other than check e-mail and run webapps.

Then how come it has hardly any game support for big PC titles? See the problem with your argument. Even if you are a Linux fanboy you should be rooting for a windows based steambox from valve. Because the chances of getting traction behind Linux dev are directly tied to PC gaming performance. Not that the better AAA titles that shipped for Linux did so in the days when MS head a death grip on everything.

I'm not following how a Windows-based Steambox console -- assuming Valve could even legally wing that proposition -- aids Linux in any way.

I'm not following how a Windows-based Steambox console -- assuming Valve could even legally wing that proposition -- aids Linux in any way.

Because it increases exposure to PC gaming at a delicate time in our history when we really need it. During a major console refresh, at a time when desktop and modifiable PCs are in sharp decline. The point is simple. Valve Steambox has to be a good experience for its first intro to the world. If its not it will be tainted with a bad reputation it may never fix. The first time tons of reviewers and people experience all the games they are missing they will talk about that point.

You don't have to look any further than Linux netbooks to see what a massive disaster that was. Pretty much put the nail in the Linux coffin for the next 10 years.

Valves first jump into device territory needs to be done well with a clear advantage. Valve only has a very few clear advantages over huge players like MS and SONY who have massive resources to pour into hardware, software and advertising and even sustaining billions in losses if needed. Those advantages are a hand full of games that they might release with the balls to keep as steambox exclusives. L4D, and HL3 are pretty much it. CS is to fragmented now. And the big one is a simply the massive windows based PC gaming library. Being able to hit the ground running with over 2000 damn games would be a huge advantage. They could advertise the hell out of that. Simply match specs on the PS4/Xbone sell for $5-600 and let people know all the games that are available. If they go Linux they botch that whole thing now they can say oh cool we have about 200 games most is just indie, and bad graphics or old junk, and if they go Linux and make HL3 a Linux exclusive they are going to piss off 90% of their users.

I don't know it seems to me like a pretty clear decision. Way to much risk now to bet the farm on a Linux steam box. If they go windows they can make a name for themselves in the console market for average consumers and the tech dumb. Then they can make a second iteration later after they have established familiarity with the brand and product that is a Linux device and push the windows devices off on to OEM partners. You need real power in order to forge the game industry. I only see Linux zealots in here losing a grip on reality hoping once again like with the netbook craze they will have their day, but they aren't thinking about the flip side of the coin, this could back fire and that could teach everyone a big lesson just like netbooks did.

Last edited:
Back