GA-X58-USB3 + I7 970

PersonalJ

[H]ard|Gawd
I just went ahead and ordered a GA-X58-USB3 and it has shipped from Newegg. Gigabyte advertises it works with the 32nm hexacore processors. However, their cpu compatibility list only shows the 980x and not the 970. Are gulftown CPUs compatible with all x58 motherboards?

I found a hexus review using this mobo and my CPU http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=26177&page=3 but does anyone here have any experience with this combination? I called Gigabyte and the gentleman I spoke to informed me that someone from Taiwan would give me a call in two days with the information I was looking for.

Last edited:
970 works in my X58A-UD3R. If it doesn't work in that board then it could probably have it's microcode updated from my board or another X58 board that supports it. But I imagine it'll work.

970 works in my X58A-UD3R. If it doesn't work in that board then it could probably have it's microcode updated from my board or another X58 board that supports it. But I imagine it'll work.

Your X58A-UD3R shows that the 970 is supported after the F6 update which was on 8/24/10. The GA-X58-USB3 has an update on the same day with similar notes that it enhances cpu compatibility. I wouldn't be surprised if they simply didn't document the changes on their website. The board will still POST if it doesn't have the microcode, right?

This is probably old news but I wouldn't mess with those v3 beta bios's. They have recalled some and strange things happen. That have a v3 final now that seems pretty stable but I wouldn't ever recommend running beta bios for an important system.

Back