• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GA-x48-DQ6 + e8400 Poor Overclocking

Kopi

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
153
I had my e8400 on a P5K Premium for the last 6 months at 500x8 at the following settings.

CPU 1.352v
CPU PLL 1.5v
CPU GTL 0.63%
NB GTL 0.61%
NB 1.4v
CPU VTT 1.1v
Memory 1.9v @1000mhz 5-5-5-12 2T

I received a nice Gigabyte x48-DQ6 in hopes of pushing for 525x8 for 4.2ghz for a better 24/7 overclock than the previous board. I've tried just about everything to get this board stable and can barely get it stable above 500fsb in the first place.

I've dropped the multiplier to 6x and found that 500fsb is partially stable with the following settings:

FSB Overvolt +0.2v (1.3v)
MCH Overvolt +0.225 (1.475v)
CPU voltage 1.375v + load line = ~1.35 in windows
CPU Clock Skew 50ps

Still won't be 100% stable, only good for about 15 minutes in Orthos.

I can't figure out why this board isn't even performing on par with my P5K premium, I figured this could probably out do that board. Could anybody with previous experience with the board lend a hand? I've included some BIOS pictures!

IMG_0213.jpg


IMG_0214.jpg


IMG_0208.jpg
 
Last edited:
1st of all, why you dont use 9x multiplier? I m currently running E8400 on my x48-DS4 @ 450x9 = 4050 MHz.

Settings are.
CPU Host Frequency = 450 MHz
Multiplier = 9x
CPU = 1.275v ( mine is E0 stepping, C0 stepping may require higher vcore, no need to disable EIST, C1E etc, just keep them enable ).
FSB Overvolt = 0.15v
Loadline calibration = Auto ( doesnt make any diff. if u enable or disable it )
MCH Overvoltage = Auto

everything else looking fine with your settings. just make sure your RAM can handle those timings @ 1000 MHz, My 2 GB ballistix 800 MHz runs stable @ 1100 MHz but when I insert more 2 GB, then it even cant run at 1000 MHz. 4 single sticks really bottlenecks overclocking.

p.s. I had to upgrade BIOS in order to support E8400 CPU, before upgrade BIOS , mobo was able to handle CPU but was showing wrong multiplier configuration. this is just to let u know some more.
 
I could very well run the 9x multiplier at 467 for my desired 4.2ghz.

But my old board, sitting about 2 feet away, will do 500x8 and perhaps 525x8. Which is alot snappier and responsive than running a lower FSB.
 
I have just tested my E8400 @ 510x 8 = 4080 MHz,

FSB overvolt = 0.20 v

tested with prime95 for an hour, got no problem so far , played CSS, dawn of war 2 for many hours and so far I havent encountered any problem. your DQ6 can go high with FSB not sure whts wrong there!
 
I noticed the GTL reference controls differ with #1 being auto and #2 normal. Was this something you found was needed or an oversight ?


Nothin to do with OCing but I recommend you enable TM2 and set the cpu warning temp around 80C.
 
I would try setting the System Memory mulitplier to "2.00D". My machine is more stable at this setting. Not sure if it will make a difference in your situation, but something to try.
 
Back
Top