GA-G33M-DS2R for E2200?

jembo

n00b
Hi, I'm thinking of buying the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R mobo- would anyone recommend it? I'm returning an ASUS P5K-VM because of unreliability.

Has the 1:1 ratio issue been settled with a bios upgrade yet?

Is there much difference between the G33 and G35 chipsets in overclocking, if at all.

I have an E2200 @ 2.2gHz I understand it can be overclocked nicely.
A Gainward 8600GT 512m DDR3.
2x1g Corsair 667 cas4.
Copper flower CPU heatsink.

Will I have any problems? What do you suggest?

No.
No.
No.
P5E-VM HDMI, if you don't mind spending more money. Might as well get the black PCB while you're at it.

Why Leman?

I know the ASUS P5E-VM is sexy black but aren't I paying for graphic power I don't need? Plus I've seen the same problems with reliability with this board that I've got with that P5K-VM, namely no POST 90% of the time just fans spinning.

If I'm not mistaken the E2200 is a 800fsb cpu (I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong). The DS2R still has no 1:1 ratio fix for overclocking 800fsb cpu. You'd have to use a 2.66:1 ratio or something like that from what I have heard. Most people around here are going with the P5K-VM or the P5E-VM HDMI these days until something better comes out.

Edit: ABIT and Gigabyte have some new ones in the works but we havent heard when they'll release yet.

I have to say that I didn't notice a 1:1 fix for the P5K-VM either. Yes, E2200 is 800fsb but I understood that 1:1 business is about DDR2 800 ram not 667.

Are the new boards from ABIT and Gigabyte G35s? That's still graphic power I don't need, isn't it?.

Thanks for replying btw. I can't keep the retailer waiting too long for a decision unless ABIT or Gigabyte ship new boards over to Australia in the next fortnight. From what I can read on these forums the GA-G33M-DS2R has a great reputation for reliability and for ASUS it's a bit of a case of once bitten...

Have you also looked at the ASUS P5E-VM DO and the GA G33M-S2H models? Just throwing out some other models I can think of off the top of my head. Word is that the P5E-VM HDMI overclocks higher than them too.

The newer mobos I mentioned from ABIT and Gigabyte are supposedly G35 mobos based off the P35 chipset. No idea when more will release. A couple pics were posted a little while back but thats all I really know of them so far. You probably dont want to wait for them. It could be months before we see them in stores.

Edit: There's also the GA G33M-S2 model. I think the S2H has HDMI and the S2 doesnt. Not sure what other differences there are. Just google them for reviews and see what you come up with.

I have to say that I didn't notice a 1:1 fix for the P5K-VM either. Yes, E2200 is 800fsb but I understood that 1:1 business is about DDR2 800 ram not 667.

Are the new boards from ABIT and Gigabyte G35s? That's still graphic power I don't need, isn't it?.

The 1:1 issue is not so much about memory but about the fact that the Gigabyte board doesn't have a 1:1 option at all, and most likely never will. As far as I know, both Asus boards (P5K and P5E) have always had 1:1 for 800FSB board.

If you go with the Gigabyte G33 board, you're going to need DDR2-1066 to achieve the same overclock you'd achieve with DDR2-800 on the Asus board. With the E2200's higher multiplier, it's a much smaller issue (I guess you can do 10x300/300x2.66 with DDR2-800), but either way, not having a 1:1 multiplier is going to limit your potential overclock, unless you have really high clocking RAM.

As far as graphic power you don't need, I say don't worry about what you don't need, and worry instead about what you're getting. I have a P5E-VM HDMI and it's been great with my E4500 (2MB cache version of E2200 essentially). It's been very stable in my experience and I run at 10x300 all day with no issues posting, rebooting, freezing, etc. It's a great board and is currently the mATX board of choice right now IMO.

If you're looking at more of a budget board, the G31M-S2L is $66 shipped at newegg and is a decent little OCer. Just picked one up to play with it. I had the DS2R, but only used 1066mhz bus CPU's with it.

I'm really glad I found this forum, thanks for your comments.

So you're saying that the P5E-VM HDMI will outclock the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R mobo using a E2200 and DDR2 667?

Oh yeah, the E2200 has 11x multiplier- not that I'm really sure what that means, please excuse my noobishness. I'll have to visit Wikipedia or some such.

I'm really glad I found this forum, thanks for your comments.

So you're saying that the P5E-VM HDMI will outclock the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R mobo using a E2200 and DDR2 667?

In this case, your overclock is going to be limited by the 2.66 multiplier on the Gigabyte board. With DDR-2667 (333mhz), the maximum (theoretical) overclock you could achieve is 2.7ghz (11x250). With the Asus board, your maximum theoretical overclock would be 3.6ghz (11x333). Basically, the Gigabyte will hit the DDR2-667 limit at a lower front side bus than the Asus would because of the higher multiplier.

Note that these calculations are based off the assumption that your RAM absolutely will not go above DDR2-667. You may be able to push it much further than that depending on what RAM chips are in those Corsair sticks, but for ease of overclocking, the Asus board makes that an irrelevant issue with a 1:1 multipler in your case. With a 1:1 multiplier, you could do an easy 3ghz at DDR2-600 (10x300), probably with little voltage increase.

jembo said:
Oh yeah, the E2200 has 11x multiplier- not that I'm really sure what that means, please excuse my noobishness. I'll have to visit Wikipedia or some such.

CPU speed is calculated from the multiplier x front side bus (FSB).

The E2200's 2.2 ghz speed comes from an 11x multiplier and a 200 FSB speed. 11x200 = 2200mhz. This basically means you can use a lower FSB speed to a moderately high overclock. For example, an E4300 has a 9x multiplier. To get 3.6ghz on an E4300, the quickest way would be 9x400. But on an E2200/E4500, you can do 11x333 and get that same 3.6ghz overclock. The advantage in this is that if you ram cannot reach 400mhz (DDR2-800), or whatever your desired FSB is, you can still achieve a higher overclock. And in the case of the Penryn CPU's that are reaching 4ghz, having a high multiplier (10x for example) would allow you to use cheap DDR2-800 RAM for 4ghz.

Hope this doesn't confuse you too much, but it's important stuff that you need to know for overclocking.

A bit off topic here, but how much worse is the P5K-VM compared to the P5E-VM counterpart in terms of overclockability? I know there are generally more issues with the 'k as in double boots.etc but can these be solved with bios updates or the likes?

@ dyesan :ha ha "double boots" seems a polite way of putting it-especially in my case, once it's going it seems fine, just takes 10-30 mins of resetting/switching-on-and -off, to get there though. I'm primarily building a media centre with the capacity to play games in 720p. It needs to be able to schedule record HDTV. For your information, I'm running the latest bios 0803 build march25/08, which I notice isn't even available on their site yet- I got it from ASUS : " Cooper Xie <[email protected]> ", a tech assigned to my case. Email him/her for it, ask for "P5K-VM-ASUS-0803.rar". It hasn't made any difference to my problem though.

@ TWO515TY: Yesterday when I was staring at the figures and thinking about all I had read on the forums I had one of those "Ah-ha!" moments where it all fell into place. And then I came here and you had left such a succinct answer I was blown away, I get it. Thanks very much for going to the trouble TWO515TY, I really appreciate it. Of course I jumped to it and, well, here are the results, they're a bit weird...

After I got the thing running. CPU-Z reports the changes to the twinX Corsair 667, 1:1 divider 4-4-4-12, BUT NOT any of the other frequencys . No fsb change, no nothing. I'd changed the fsb to 333hz. There HAS been a reported change in CPU-Z to Vcore from idling at 1.19V to 1.41V and under load from 1.29V to 1.384 (a drop)! I used OCCT for the stressing it came back stable.Using CoreTemp and the CPU copper flower fan set to 2/3 speed I got readings of (Tj Max is 85C):

Before OC
At idle, core#0- 30C, core#1-29C. (Vcore 1.19V)
Under load, core#0- 50C, core#1-48C. (Vcore 1.29V)

After OC
At idle, core#0- 33C, core#1-32C. (Vcore 1.41V)
Under load, core#0- 58C, core#1-58C. (Vcore 1.384V)

Honestly, I can't tell if there's been a real fsb change or not. Just the according automatic voltage change done in bios. What do you guys think? Am I running some background program from ASUS preventing fsb change?

My thoughts are to get a refund and wait till the new boards come out, I'm getting keen on the idea of raid anyway, I do like ASUS. I'm sure I'm not alone on here in desiring a mATX without the manditory onboard graphics cluttering up a high-end chipset (X38, X48 anyone?), yes?

Cheers.

What kind of overclock are you trying to achieve? With an FSB of 333, your overclock will be 3.6ghz if you don't drop the multiplier, which is going to need a lot of Vcore. What did CPU-Z report your clock speed as?

I'd recommend you do a simply 3.0ghz overclock and step it up from there if you want to go higher.

Try these settings:

CPU multiplier: 10
FSB: 300
CPU Voltage: 1.35
Northbridge: +0.1v. If you have stability issues, try raising it to 0.2
PCIe Frequency - make sure you keep this at 100 mhz.

I think there's a setting for FSB termination voltage, but I can't remember off the top of my head what a good setting for it is, you will want to increase the voltage on it just a little bit.

Play around with those numbers and see what you get.

Well, that's just it! I don't get any change in the clock speed or in the fsb numbers.

CPU-Z still reports CPU at 200, fsb at 800, clock at 2200mhz, ram at 200 4-4-4-12- no matter how I set the fsb in bios

That doesn't make sense...does it cold boot (boot with power and fans spinning but no POST)? Are you saving your settings after applying them? (Hit F10 after making your changes) Did you make sure to drop the multiplier to 10x?

If that what cold boot means, yes. 95% of the time. With no OC too. Of course I'm saving my settings. Ok, I'll try the multiplyer at 10.

Yea, if you didn't drop the multiplier, it's doing 11x300 or 333, whatever you set it at. At that range (3.3-3.6 ghz), your chip is either not going to clock that high, or is going to need a significant voltage increase before it'll post at that speed. I know this happened to me a couple times when I first messed with my overclock. It would cold boot, then I'd increase the FSB without dropping the multiplier, so it was trying to boot at 3.3ghz instead of 3.0ghz. Once I went back and dropped my multiplier, I didn't have any cold boot issues.

Then, after it cold boots, it reverts back to stock settings, which is why CPU-Z reports no change in clockspeed/FSB speed.

Now if it cold boots with no modification (meaning you manually reverted back to stock settings), then you may have a faulty board IMO. You shouldn't be getting any cold boots at stock speeds. What kind of graphics card do you have? Did you update to the latest bios?

I've wrote an email to gigabyte.

My question:
I need know if I can select the ratio 1:1 for the FSB:RAM with this motherboard and a Celeron 420. I want buy this motherboard but I read that only the cpu FSB1066 and FSB1333 can select this ratio (1:1) in the bios (the Celeron is a FSB800).
Can you say me if I can use this motherboard with this cpu???
Thanks a lot!
David

The response:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kindly mail and supporting GIGABYTE.
About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, we are sorry that due to hardware, GA-G33M-DS2R does not support ratio 1:1 BIOS

Regards TWO515TY.

I have a Gainward 8600GT 512m DDR3 silentfx:
http://www.gainward.com/product/product_detail.php?products_id=137
It has a good reputation.

I'm running the latest bios 0803 build march25/08, which I notice isn't even available on their site yet- I got it from ASUS : " Cooper Xie <[email protected]> ", a tech assigned to my case. Email him/her for it, ask for "P5K-VM-ASUS-0803.rar". It hasn't made any difference to my problem though.

The ram, the optical drive and the HDD have all been tested in my other comp. The problem still occurs with the onboard graphics. OPPC suggests the cpu is ok. I even replaced the PSU. I've seen the problem repeatedly on the ASUS forums with the P5K-VM and I've seen posts of it happening to the P5E-VM HDMI board...

Hmmm, i think I'll invest in some value 1066 cas5 ram anyway. That should give me some head room if I go with the GIGABYTE.

Back