G80 to release in September?

For some reason I doubt it will be quite that early, that's only three months away, and nVidia needs to get QUAD-SLI out the door first.

Nonetheless, no unified shadders? That doesn't sound good, that's the BIG reason for DX10 I thought. Will ATI have unified shaders in R600?

Iniquiring minds want to know!

No way its coming in 3 months, companies like evga would lose money if they have cards coming out so quick that their users continues to stepup.

No unified shadders?????????

What the hell? Dammit I expect to pay big money so they had better come out with something special!! :mad:

Ockie said:
No way its coming in 3 months, companies like evga would lose money if they have cards coming out so quick that their users continues to stepup.

Exactly. But then Nvidia has no control on how EVGA wishes to run their business.

Nvidia just wants to show that whatever ATI does, they can do better.

StalkerZER0 said:
No unified shadders?????????

What the hell? Dammit I expect to pay big money so they had better come out with something special!! :mad:

Nvidia has always been more speed and less quality. ATI has been more quality and less speed for a while.

Just hope both companies can release quality cards at good prices.

This might be the point at which I switch over to ATi. Only time will tell though, have to see them both compared.

Well, the article states that september with a possible delay of november. If I am to trust the enquirer ( :rolleyes: ) and take into account the newness of the 7950x2s, I think it will be in november, which would give the 7950s a 6months period to enjoy their limelight. However, if the article is correct, then nvidia will again sacrifice quality for speed.
For me, it is a mute point as I will not upgrade for a while anyways. No time to game.

Child of Wonder said:
Maybe they should get G71 to work first.....

Exactly, with the cheap resistors being used on the cards and such, but i think that is more 3rd party problems and not NVIDIA, since NVIDIA isnt making the cards their GPU's go into...

That's true.

But that Nvidia and most 3rd party vendors have been silent is the most troubling.

I just had to RMA my eVGA 7900GT KO and if my replacement craps out, I'm getting a X1800 XT to hold me over until I'm ready to upgrade again in 6-12 months.

If Nvidia or some other company would just come out and say "X part is bad on the G71 and we are going to take all necessary steps to get working G71s in the hands of everyone who purchased one" then I would happily stay with Nvidia.

But these horror stories of RMAing again and again and again only to keep receiving a card that fails in a few days or weeks does not sound appealing.

Hopefully the G80 will not be plagued with this and will be a great card.

A company called Galaxy builts the cards for Nvidia. LIke how Sapphire builts cards for ATI.

September is not all that unlikely. considering that the last 'real new card' from nVidia is almost a year old now. The 7900 was a refresh from the 7800, which came out in July/ august 05.

Nope.. that's about on schedule...

R600 won't appear until the winter... in July we should see the R580+ to coinicide with the Conroe launch.
I think i've stated numerous times the launch dates and that it won't have unified shaders... again this is how it will pan out...

R600 > G80 > R580+

R580+ will be the first card with GDDR4 as well as some other minor tweaks.. mainly to the memory controller. G80 will introduce Branch Execution units (something the 7x00 is lacking, read the Folding post in the Video Card forum).

G80 will NOT be unified. It will be severly inferior to the R600 in terms of features and performance in DX10 titles and most heavy shader DX9 titles.. but it will shine in Texture dependant games. All in all it will be a close fight.. but with Crossfire going dongleless and the R600 ebing a multipurpose unified shader part... the one thing G80 has going for it is Quad SLI. (simple SLI will no longer be a win for nVIDIA over ATi).

This is of course putting the partisan video card politics aside. We kinda all knew this was coming once the x1K series was released and nVIDIA stated on numerous occasions that they wish to be cautious with unified shaders.

ElMoIsEviL said:
Nope.. that's about on schedule...

R600 won't appear until the winter... in July we should see the R580+ to coinicide with the Conroe launch.

Yeah because lets not forget, every company releases on th exact rumored date.

Companies don't usually leap infront of the other, they wait to maximize their earnings.

Ugggh I hate speculation threads for the reason that people take them as fact.

Ockie said:
Yeah because lets not forget, every company releases on th exact rumored date.

Companies don't usually leap infront of the other, they wait to maximize their earnings.
Conroe will arrive on time.. the higher end models will be a tad scarce.. Pentium D prices will fall to ease the pressure on Intel... AMD will also drop there prices by almost 50% for Athlon64 X2 parts.

Not every article is precise.. Inquirer is often wrong.. but what they just published I learned a month or so ago and have been posting about it in almost every video card post I've made.

If ATI does have a new chip coming out in a little over a month wouldnt we have heard more about it by now. Rumors, leaked specs, or even leaked photos, etc? It is hard for me to believe that they are launching a new card in a month and yet I havent heard anything about it. I guess I dont frequent the ATI specific forum though so maybe I dont know what Im talking about.

Just to add my 2 cents : I would doubt seeing any 8 series cards from nvidia till at least October.

metallicafan said:
If ATI does have a new chip coming out in a little over a month wouldnt we have heard more about it by now. Rumors, leaked specs, or even leaked photos, etc? It is hard for me to believe that they are launching a new card in a month and yet I havent heard anything about it. I guess I dont frequent the ATI specific forum though so maybe I dont know what Im talking about.

Just to add my 2 cents : I would doubt seeing any 8 series cards from nvidia till at least October.

There is rumor of a 1900 thats souped up a tad... but thats something to see.

My guess is that G80 will release in October just before Unreal Tournament 2007 releases.

Ockie said:
There is rumor of a 1900 thats souped up a tad... but thats something to see.

I heard about a month ago that ATI will have a new card X1950 not sure if it is true.

It is just and improved version of X1900. It will have the crap external doggle again.

So G80 wont even fully support all of Vista and Dirext X10s features, if thats the case what a waste of time that will be, why would anyone buy it. I hope this isnt the case.

Ockie said:

If I remember correctly, step-up can only be done once per purchased card. So basically, you can't step-up a stepped-up card. Even so, 3 months would be the borderline limit of the step-up program for people who just got the 7950's. It's really reserved for peeps that dropped some cash for the high end 3 months before another one comes out. It's also handy for people who bought something lower, and wanted an upgrade for less.

I'd be happy to see the G80 release in Q1 2007. That is ample amount of time for nVidia to get a quality card out the door and be ready for Vista aswell. If they release a card in September or before December, that would be stupid. Focus on quality, not quantity! The green team already has a good chunk of market share.

dR.Jester said:
I'd be happy to see the G80 release in Q1 2007. That is ample amount of time for nVidia to get a quality card out the door and be ready for Vista aswell. If they release a card in September or before December, that would be stupid. Focus on quality, not quantity! The green team already has a good chunk of market share.

Why the hell would you be happy to see its release in 2007? It was supposed to come out this month as a matter of fact. Then of course they had to reschedule. I don't want to see it coming out for vista because I WANT IT NOW DAMMIT!! While I'm still young.......ish.
Who the hell cares about vista anyway. Only if your a retard would you buy vista the year it comes out. That bug ridden resource hog will only slow games down and horrifyingly so.
MS should release DX10 apart from vista if they had any decency. But since they don't then thats not going to happen.
But all I care about is that the g80 card with 512mb of ram at least will run games at 2560x1600 with decent frame rates along with some of the eye candy turned on.

As it stands now the best cards out at the moment can only run games at 2560x1600 with decent framerates......as long as you turn down the eye candy to almost nothing. :(

I want my 30 inch lcd THIS YEAR not next. :(

Yoshiyuki Blade said:
If I remember correctly, step-up can only be done once per purchased card. So basically, you can't step-up a stepped-up card. Even so, 3 months would be the borderline limit of the step-up program for people who just got the 7950's. It's really reserved for peeps that dropped some cash for the high end 3 months before another one comes out. It's also handy for people who bought something lower, and wanted an upgrade for less.

Yes but if they have to basically give every person two cards for one price, it's not going to work out well for them.

Like the 7950's came out quick, every one with the 7900gtx was eligible for a setup, meaning that they sold everyone a 7900gtx and a 7950 for the price of $599.... which boils down to 300 a card... not much profits can be made from them.

Now if the same repeats with the 7950's to the G80's, that would be bad too where as ATI vendors can enjoy long profits from each design.

Thats baiscally what I was trying to say.

I want the G80's now too. Get these bunk 7900's outa here and bring in the DX10.

Marcdaddy said:
So G80 wont even fully support all of Vista and Dirext X10s features, if thats the case what a waste of time that will be, why would anyone buy it. I hope this isnt the case.

Unified shaders is not a requirement of DX10 compliance. In the past MS only specified the specifications for a shader version, then ATi and NV would design their own shaders, using different methods, to meet these specifications. This time MS has completely laid out all of the shader details, not just the specifications. This was done to make it easier for developers to not have to code for different shaders for ATi and NV.

StalkerZER0 said:
Why the hell would you be happy to see its release in 2007? It was supposed to come out this month as a matter of fact. Then of course they had to reschedule. I don't want to see it coming out for vista because I WANT IT NOW DAMMIT!! While I'm still young.......ish.
Who the hell cares about vista anyway. Only if your a retard would you buy vista the year it comes out. That bug ridden resource hog will only slow games down and horrifyingly so.
MS should release DX10 apart from vista if they had any decency. But since they don't then thats not going to happen.
But all I care about is that the g80 card with 512mb of ram at least will run games at 2560x1600 with decent frame rates along with some of the eye candy turned on.

As it stands now the best cards out at the moment can only run games at 2560x1600 with decent framerates......as long as you turn down the eye candy to almost nothing. :(

I want my 30 inch lcd THIS YEAR not next. :(

DX10 is not backwards compatible with XP or other earlier OS'. It will only run on Vista, so there is obviously no reason to release before or apart from Vista.

If Quad SLI drivers were already released then that would hold us until a true DirectX 10 card releases in Jan or Feb 2007.

However, G80 and ATI's new card will surely get alot of attention soon. This may hurt Geforce 7950GX2.

dR.Jester said:
no way. Release it in august or september, then buy your card in 2007 when vista comes out.

You will be paying MUCH less by then, and there will be plenty of data in overclocking, speed, heat, etc. to help you make an informed decision. Not to mention an earlier initial release will mean a sooner revision model.

sooner is better

Un4given said:
DX10 is not backwards compatible with XP or other earlier OS'. It will only run on Vista, so there is obviously no reason to release before or apart from Vista.

omg please don't make me vomit!! :rolleyes:
MS made dx10 able to only to run on vista........just to make it only on vista. They want people to upgrade. Don't tell me they can't come out with a dx10 version that will be able to run on xp pleaseeeeeee! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EVGA isn't getting paid 1 card for 2 it's actually a smart decision beause it gets them a lot more customers they never had. Then you look at it like this. You get the card back from the customer you take that card and do 1 of 2 things with it. Refurbish it and sell it to retailers/etailers or Refurbish it and use it for RMA cards. Now you put less stress on your production line to make more product because they didn't need to make extra's for RMA overstock. So you pretty much downsized the cost of your Tech Support department by a whole bunch.

G80 will be released as close to Vista as possible, if Vista is delayed so will G80. They wont release a DX10 based card without an appropriate OS to go with it period regardless of what rumors/ATI say's. My guess late november/december at the earliest to coincide with xmas sales/upgrades, 2-3 months before Vista people will be preparing with hardware upgrades.

metallicafan said:

If ATI had a new card coming out in a month then they would have announced it last month and have had 3dmark benchs spammed on the Inq.

Fawkes said:
If ATI had a new card coming out in a month then they would have announced it last month and have had 3dmark benchs spammed on the Inq.

Exactly my point. ;) Glad someone besides me realizes this. :)

Back