G70 worth waiting?

Unknown-One said:
Could nVidia be (Gasp!) feeding us misinformation to get the hype up? :rolleyes:
Something tells me that this thing is going to much better than what its being made out to be by that 3DMark score :D

Yes thats an awesome strategy. Heres some leaked scores, they suck! Does that make your want to pre-order more?

Considering how slowly Nvidias driver team work we wont see a peak in any benchmarks until 6 months after launch. The NV40 gained about 1000 points from release to maturity in in 3dmark05.

However if its a refresh, which it may be, then the score falls pefectly inline with a small speed increase and pipe increase. Honostly, think about this a sec, in order to continue want for SLI under the Nvidia 6xxx series they infact DONT release a product that just completely stomps it, they release a nice update but no where near as strong as what was hyped. This will still leave quite a market for 6xxx if the price falls accordingly.

I havent seen anything on the G80, so if someone has some links. I'v actually seen nothing. Its a ghost core still. And as far as this "ultra" rumor garbage, its just that, a RUMOR, a site simply noted that the Ultra designation was still open if Nvidia chose to use it. Does not mean there is a hidden card. Wouldnt make sence if there was. Let everyone buy GTX then screw em by saying that wasnt the best. However a refresh, a few months down the line, would be a different story.

well it depends on your definition of refresh...

if more pipes and some pipeline tweaks are just a refresh...then everything ATi has made since the 9700 pro has been a refresh...

^eMpTy^ said:
...I seriously seriously seriously doubt that it'll be a repackaged NV45...

seriously
haha i was right it is a repackaged NV45 with more pipelines.

trudude said:

lol...for future reference...speculation at the inquirer != truth...

wait and see...

what a peice of shit, after all the !!!!!!sm hype on here. these things wont sell worth a fuck if they price gouge them.

Smart, very smart, business tactic to keep the 6 series moving. Lets see if the resellers are idiots as well as the consumers.

wickedcoolstuff18501248503461f.jpg

trudude said:

For the sake of argument...who cares? I mean, does it need to be anything more than that? From what I've read it does add some new features CineFX 4.0 or whatever nvidia calls it, and some other stuff. But even that aside, it will have the same standard features as the R520 because, that's right, the 6800 series already has the features that the R520 is only now implementing.

Dr. X said:
For the sake of argument...who cares? I mean, does it need to be anything more than that? From what I've read it does add some new features CineFX 4.0 or whatever nvidia calls it, and some other stuff. But even that aside, it will have the same standard features as the R520 because, that's right, the 6800 series already has the features that the R520 is only now implementing.

Not only that but I don't recall Nvidia claiming that it was anything different (although I would like to know wtf is up with the name change and all the stupid "prepare yourself" hype) . The same people who have been praising R300 refreshes for the last three years are the ones criticizing a possible NV40 refresh now, notwithstanding that the competition's next generation part is now trying to achieve feature parity. It's surreal.....

I wonder if these same people remember how the 9800XT doubled the performance of the 9700PRO - linky

also, those dumb 3dmark scores were from a "G70"

reminder:
the 6800 ultra, gt, non-ultra, and LE are all the same NV40

mrhemmy said:
also, those dumb 3dmark scores were from a "G70"

reminder:
the 6800 ultra, gt, non-ultra, and LE are all the same NV40

Well the screenshots did say GTX which is supposed to be the flagship card.

^eMpTy^ said:
I have not seen a SINGLE rumor ANYWHERE suggesting 16 pipelines on R520.

Adding pipelines isn't the only way to improve performance...it's just the easiest...why would they overclock the crap out of their cores to get 20% more performance when they could just double the number of pipelines and get double the performance at the same clock speed and have better yields?

Haha, that just made me laugh. You know piplenes are a physical part of the GPU right? They could simply flash the BIOS of a card to get its clock speed up

imo, by 50 bux drop or less maybe more. I don't think there will be huge price drop on these video cards.

mrhemmy said:
Haha, that just made me laugh. You know piplenes are a physical part of the GPU right? They could simply flash the BIOS of a card to get its clock speed up

Judging on his posting history on these forums, I'd wager he knows more than just a *little* bit about video card manufacturing and GPU architecture. Maybe your suggestion of making next-generation cards faster by simply upping clock speeds says something too...

-SEAL

To keep the thread on topic...

I cant believe they're attempting a single slot cooling on a 301M transistor 110nm chip. Thats just rediculous. Im almost sure ATI will go dual slot for their high end.

Personally i could care less but i do think dual slot cooling is better. Obviously for overclocking but anything that exhausts the air out of a case is welcomed. Less chance of the fan hitting max RPM and being more noise friendly. So many people bring it up for some reason as a negative then everyone goes out and gets a Silencer anyway...

Still no G80 linkage?

BigDaddy85 said:
any comment on R520 single card and how bout R520's crossfire? I am sure it will whoop 7800 GTX SLI for good i hope lol. The issue is the price. :p

Unless of course, you are a Linux user. In that case, even if Crossfire did work, you'd have the combined performance of a... TNT2.

ATI FIX YOUR DRIVERS - they SUCK!

FanATIc said:
Yes thats an awesome strategy. Heres some leaked scores, they suck! Does that make your want to pre-order more?

Considering how slowly Nvidias driver team work we wont see a peak in any benchmarks until 6 months after launch. The NV40 gained about 1000 points from release to maturity in in 3dmark05.

However if its a refresh, which it may be, then the score falls pefectly inline with a small speed increase and pipe increase. Honostly, think about this a sec, in order to continue want for SLI under the Nvidia 6xxx series they infact DONT release a product that just completely stomps it, they release a nice update but no where near as strong as what was hyped. This will still leave quite a market for 6xxx if the price falls accordingly.

I havent seen anything on the G80, so if someone has some links. I'v actually seen nothing. Its a ghost core still. And as far as this "ultra" rumor garbage, its just that, a RUMOR, a site simply noted that the Ultra designation was still open if Nvidia chose to use it. Does not mean there is a hidden card. Wouldnt make sence if there was. Let everyone buy GTX then screw em by saying that wasnt the best. However a refresh, a few months down the line, would be a different story.

First and foremost nVidia is out to beat ATi...they wouldn't make a slower card than they could just to keep selling older cards...but that is another good reason to release the GTX now and the Ultra later...

And there's more than just "the Ultra name is still unused" to the rumor...I saw in a couple of places that the Ultra was going to use XDR and have a 1600Mhz memory clock...so who knows...

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that retail availability of R520 won't be till several months after the G70 launch...in which case it would make sense to release a "refresh" to compete with R520...

But in all seriousness...the more I think about it...the more I realize precisely how in the dark we all are this time around...NV and ATI are getting sneakier and sneakier...so who knows what they have planned...

FanATIc said:
To keep the thread on topic...

I cant believe they're attempting a single slot cooling on a 301M transistor 110nm chip. Thats just rediculous. Im almost sure ATI will go dual slot for their high end.

Personally i could care less but i do think dual slot cooling is better. Obviously for overclocking but anything that exhausts the air out of a case is welcomed. Less chance of the fan hitting max RPM and being more noise friendly. So many people bring it up for some reason as a negative then everyone goes out and gets a Silencer anyway...

Still no G80 linkage?

It's only running at 430Mhz...and that's a rather healthy single slot heatsink...and remember the Ultra will have a dual slot...

^eMpTy^ said:
I saw in a couple of places that the Ultra was going to use XDR and have a 1600Mhz memory clock...so who knows...

Links? For that to be true the Ultra and GTX would be significantly different chips and would probably use different driver optimizations. A memory controller is not a trivial component.

trinibwoy said:
Links? For that to be true the Ultra and GTX would be significantly different chips and would probably use different driver optimizations. A memory controller is not a trivial component.

Links as requested:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20041228125957.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7534

I think it's a distinct possibility...I dunno how much faster it would make G70...but that falls inline with the idea of an undisclosed "ultra" and a few months to make the chip and sell it as a refresh...

*shrug*

CMAN said:
7 days..........
Lol I couldnt help thinking of the film the Ring, when you said that :)

Something bad will happen..... your money will die in 7 days if you purchase this card :p

^eMpTy^ said:
Links as requested:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20041228125957.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7534

I think it's a distinct possibility...I dunno how much faster it would make G70...but that falls inline with the idea of an undisclosed "ultra" and a few months to make the chip and sell it as a refresh...

*shrug*

Ah. That would be interesting assuming that source is legit. But it's yet another random guy posting on a forum. I really have no idea what Nvidia is doing. That guy's claim that G70 is a new architecture aligned with RSX fits in with what Nvidia has been saying. But then that would mean NV40 was a one generation fling? They would really throw away all that R&D? The XDR support seems far-fetched at the moment as well considering the rumoured $599 MSRP on the GTX. An Ultra with XDR would call for a cool $750 for sure.

Although, they might not hesitate to chuck the NV40 if RSX proved to be quite a beast and was easily adapted to the PC space....next week can't come soon enough!

DaRkF0g said:
Lol I couldnt help thinking of the film the Ring, when you said that :)

Something bad will happen..... your money will die in 7 days if you purchase this card :p
ahahah relax it just a movie dude :p

trinibwoy said:
Ah. That would be interesting assuming that source is legit. But it's yet another random guy posting on a forum. I really have no idea what Nvidia is doing. That guy's claim that G70 is a new architecture aligned with RSX fits in with what Nvidia has been saying. But then that would mean NV40 was a one generation fling? They would really throw away all that R&D? The XDR support seems far-fetched at the moment as well considering the rumoured $599 MSRP on the GTX. An Ultra with XDR would call for a cool $750 for sure.

Although, they might not hesitate to chuck the NV40 if RSX proved to be quite a beast and was easily adapted to the PC space....next week can't come soon enough!

That would line up with the rumors of them ditching NV47 and NV48 in favor of NV50 AKA G70...

I wish they would just launch the thing already...I"m tired of wondering...

Back