G70 worth waiting?

im gonna base my buying decision on crappy benchmark software, with unverified and unofficial results, from an unknown source, for a card that hasnot been released yet

BigDaddy85 said:
any comment on R520 single card and how bout R520's crossfire? I am sure it will whoop 7800 GTX SLI for good i hope lol. The issue is the price. :p

rumor has it that the 7800 gtx is actually not the high end card, so that nVidia can have an ace in the hole over ATI (which may be one possibility why the R520 is no where in site).

So the timeline and performance might just be

7800GTX < ATIR520 < 7800Ultra

Watching the competition is fascinating to me. Wish I worked for one of them.

If nVidia is really doing that, then this will be the silliest battle in GPU history. I can only hope that they get sillyer (sillier?) from here on out.

Steel Chicken said:
im gonna base my buying decision on crappy benchmark software, with unverified and unofficial results, from an unknown source, for a card that hasnot been released yet

Me too!!

trinibwoy said:
That Preview is quoting MSRP. No way in hell the street price of the Ultra was $499 at launch.

Exactly, we are quoting MSRP saying $599 for G70. Can you imagine what people are going to pay for a G70 at launch??!!
I wasn't one of the morons who paid $650-$800 for one of those cards. I waited a few weeks and bought one from eVGA for $499. I spend a lot on my PC but there is no way that I would spend $599 for this card, and I sure as heck don't pay over MSRP. I'll wait for R520.

etekberg said:
rumor has it that the 7800 gtx is actually not the high end card, so that nVidia can have an ace in the hole over ATI (which may be one possibility why the R520 is no where in site).

So the timeline and performance might just be

7800GTX < ATIR520 < 7800Ultra

Watching the competition is fascinating to me. Wish I worked for one of them.
Ultra mmm hope R520 still owns Nvidia's 7800 Ultra. Wait, i thought Nvidia won't introduce Ultra version so they consider GTX as Ultra. I have seen that on the article somewhere. Well correct me if I am wrong bout this.

mohammedtaha said:
What I heard was that the GTX is the Ultra version.
from nvidia flavor thread.

BigDaddy85 said:
Ultra mmm hope R520 still owns Nvidia's 7800 Ultra. Wait, i thought Nvidia won't introduce Ultra version so they consider GTX as Ultra. I have seen that on the article somewhere. Well correct me if I am wrong bout this.

from nvidia flavored thread.

Well if thats the case I suppose GTX - is maybe the Ultra version but they may have a 7800Ultra - which in the 6series would be a Ultra Extreme? So LOL I just confused myself.

Anyways getting to the Point I remember reading Nvidia has a higher clocked 7800 in its arsenal ready to *try to bring down the r520.. :D

Keyword here is *TRY ;)

Since when did these rumors of nvidia having a 7800ultra surface?

Seems to me like the nvidia fan-boys got scared of the supposed 32 pipes of the supposedly faster R520 and decided to up and invent a new nvidia product.

I was under the impression that the GTX was the ultra, nvidia just changed the naming scheme.

This rumored 7800ultra is no match for the XI800 XT Platinum Tritium Uranium Edition card that I heard ATi is coming out with!!! (sarcasm for those who are too dense to fully grasp it)

Erasmus354 said:

Seems to me like the nvidia fan-boys got scared of the supposed 32 pipes of the supposedly faster R520 and decided to up and invent a new nvidia product.

I was under the impression that the GTX was the ultra, nvidia just changed the naming scheme.

This rumored 7800ultra is no match for the XI800 XT Platinum Tritium Uranium Edition card that I heard ATi is coming out with!!! (sarcasm for those who are too dense to fully grasp it)

Hey I'm no !!!!!! im just a mindless consumer with a credit card wanting the latest and greatest.. :p

SgtSweatySac said:
This needs to be said again, and again, and again.

We don't play benchmarks.

I do, and I can tell you, Nature in 3DMark 2001 is HELLA FUN. Fishing with the old man is probably the most memorable experience in the history of gaming for me :cool:

Erasmus354 said:

There were some rumblings during Computex. I think it was Xbit that threw out that bit of speculation.

robberbaron said:
I do, and I can tell you, Nature in 3DMark 2001 is HELLA FUN. Fishing with the old man is probably the most memorable experience in the history of gaming for me :cool:

Well, the old man's fun and all, but that sword-wielding chick from 2003 is a vixen in the sack! Just gotta watch out when those two ogres start double-teaming her.

/sick sick bastard.

BigDaddy85 said:

from nvidia flavor thread.

Making fast cards with high pipeline counts isn't hard.

Making them in appreciable quantities at a decent price...that's the true test. I have no doubt R520 will end up faster...but I seriously doubt they will available in quantity before the end of the year.

A guy I spoke to who is currently under NDA concerning the G70 said sarcastically if I want to go the G70 route I should consider taking out a 2nd mortgage on my house. LOL

Our discussion was in regards to an SLI setup.

For those of you planning to snatch one of these up upon release, if we go by the MSRP (which is absolutely bullshit in e-tail), the price performance ratio for those extra 3d marks is as follows:

if MSRP is 499, then assuming a base score of 6000 (average for a x800xt system or so), you are paying approximately 29.5 cents per additional 3d mark.

If MSRP is 399, then the price drops to only 23.5 cents per additional 3d mark.

To all of you who plan on buying one within the first week of availibilty, congratulations; now go donate some fucking money to charity you rich assholes.

Now, now... buying the hottest computer components infuses money into the development of new technologies, all for the good of mankind. :D

I bought my 9800Pro 2 weeks before the x800's and 6800's came out. I was thinking about picking up a 6800GT but after reading this thread to hell with that.

Isn't G70 supposed to officially be released with specs and all that in like a week or two ?
I'm sure we'll see some reviews by July. Personally I would wait. I'd never buy a card this close to the next generation coming out.

since i have 9800 pro 128 mb flashed to XT, I am happy with it on my sys. Actually, I am plannin to build R520 crossfire edition or R540's in next few months. ;)

So tell me, if you get a higher 3dmark score, do you think you are better than me?

I would get a new video card based on the games you play, and if they run fast enough for you. Not some #. And not even based off the newest games that are out their. I still have a 9700Pro and its still runs EVERYTHING i play, Perfectly. I havent even though about playing doom3 at all. Its not in my intrests. But when Quake 4 comes out, I know I will get it. Because I <3 Quake. And Then I will upgrade my card.

pandora's box said:
im still waiting for a game to stress my 6800GT...
3dmark05 does stress ur video card. Doom 3 @ Ultra high setting with 1600x1200 is another way to stress ur video card, same with farcry too. HL2 and CS:S seem like it stress the cpu more than video card. O well enjoy ur 6800 GT for next 3 or 4 yrs hopefully lol. :D

BigDaddy85 said:
since i have 9800 pro 128 mb flashed to XT, I am happy with it on my sys. Actually, I am plannin to build R520 crossfire edition or R540's in next few months. ;)

Anyone who made it through HL2 and D3 without upgrading a 9800Pro will probably have little use for CrossFire R520s...

Lemme ask this question...

Are we even sure that the 7800GTX is NVIDIA's next gen card? I would argue that this is simply a refresher card like the X850XT PE and ATi knows this and that is why they are holding back.

yeah sound like its a refresher card to me.... only 7k in 3dmark 05, thats not 2x the score they boast on a next gen card. then again its pretty far above a refresher card too. maybe its just an pre-gen card ;) I guess we will know soon enough...

The games are over , at least for Nvidia. This new card is the equivalent of when the first Geforce was announced.

Prepare to be astounded..........Roflmao :D

trudude said:
Lemme ask this question...

Are we even sure that the 7800GTX is NVIDIA's next gen card? I would argue that this is simply a refresher card like the X850XT PE and ATi knows this and that is why they are holding back.

Good lord.

ATi is holding back for one reason and one reason alone. It's not strategy, it's not marketing genius, it's their 32 pipe core on a brand new process blowing up in their face.

And G70 is NOT a refresh. The x850xtpe is almost identical to an x800xtpe. G70 will have 8 more pipelines compared to a 6800 Ultra. That fact alone puts it in next generation territory.

Now how much a technological improvement it will be is anyone's guess...but it's definitely not just a refresh like the x850s were.

BigDaddy85 said:
3dmark05 does stress ur video card. Doom 3 @ Ultra high setting with 1600x1200 is another way to stress ur video card, same with farcry too. HL2 and CS:S seem like it stress the cpu more than video card. O well enjoy ur 6800 GT for next 3 or 4 yrs hopefully lol. :D

well i have a lcd that supports max res of 1280x1024 so 1600x1200 is not an option here. and im glad (wallets glad too). oh and i dont play 3dmark05.

Now Brent you know that 99% of the people on these forums have no idea what your refrence is. LOL

GREAT SCOTT!!

Brent_Justice said:

Read their financials.

They acknowledged that their 4th quarter revenues are going to be negatively affected by the delay of their next generation gpu.

In this biz you don't get much more solid evidence than that.

Brent_Justice said:
He and his ilk dont need proof, they have magic precognitive glasses sent to them by whichever camps they are fans of. Jeez. Dont you know anything, Brent?

In any case, we dont know WHAT that card is listed for that 3dmark score.
To top it off, 3dmark05 may not be able to show the next gen cards power off. Run 3dmark 2000 on a gf4 ti 4200, 9500pro and a 6800gt, and you are likely to get similar results between the three, despite their vast performance differences in games.

Back