G70 worth waiting?

Just wait for someone like HardOCP to actually get ahold of the card and let them benchmark it...and then wait a little longer to see what the benchmarks are from someone who owns a card that isn't a Sample product.

I would wait just because the release of the G70 may start to push down prices on the current generation products. That way if you decide not to go with a new gen card, you could still get a better price on the 6xxx series products.

This also assumes availability within the time frame that everyone keeps claiming for the new gen card(s).

Brent_Justice said:
I wouldn't base my purchasing decision on a 3DMark score.

Yet so many people do :/

I upgrade for games only, 3dmark can suck a big one! And from the look of the future line-up for PC games, I dont think any game is going to justify the G70. If PC game developers could only learn how to friggin' optimize, we wouldn't need to upgrade every year.

I am looking for a card that can run my naitive resolution of 1920x1200 with all eye candy up full and smooth as a babies ass. The G70 will do that with ease

jacuzz1 said:
I am looking for a card that can run my naitive resolution of 1920x1200 with all eye candy up full and smooth as a babies ass. The G70 will do that with ease

But will it be worth the $600 you will undoubtably have to pay for it?

No one knows if it will. Currently thats just an idea formed off of Rumors and speculation.

Isn't that the same price the Ultra and PE debuted at? What are you guys so shocked by?

ehZn said:
But will it be worth the $600 you will undoubtably have to pay for it?

It will not cost $600. The new "6800GT" will run around $450 and be more powerfull than an Ultra.My crystal ball tells me this card is the one you have heard the 3d mark score on.

The new "Ultra" (32 pipe) will hit 10k with ease and cost $599 Let see if my ESP is correct in the comming weeks and months

jacuzz1 said:
It will not cost $600. The new "6800GT" will run around $450 and be more powerfull than an Ultra.My crystal ball tells me this card is the one you have heard the 3d mark score on.

The new "Ultra" (32 pipe) will hit 10k with ease and cost $599 Let see if my ESP is correct in the comming weeks and months
Can I have some of that crack you are on? Seems to be working wonders on your imagination. :D

R1ckCa1n said:
Can I have some of that crack you are on? Seems to be working wonders on your imagination. :D

I do , however enjoy the speculative times preceding a product launch. I find it to be great sport attempting to nail down what may occur and then finding out how close I am to being correct.

I do agree that I do posses a vivid imagination that on occasion, proves to be quite an asset.

Umm...it didn't score 7800 3dmarks. That was some stupid rumor made up by the inquirer.

Well whatever happens , I am enjoying the build up to launch.

Dr. X said:
Umm...it didn't score 7800 3dmarks. That was some stupid rumor made up by the inquirer.

Yeah the latest score is like 7703 or something similiar pretty close... in 05 :eek:

I think the score is legit but it's just limited by something other than fillrate. Assuming 3dmark05 was fillrate limited at 1024x768 then a hypothetical 24-pipe 430Mhz NV40 would score near 9000. So unless a G70 pipe is weaker than an NV40 pipe then people are obviously looking in the wrong place for answers....

trinibwoy said:
I think the score is legit but it's just limited by something other than fillrate. Assuming 3dmark05 was fillrate limited at 1024x768 then a hypothetical 24-pipe 430Mhz NV40 would score near 9000. So unless a G70 pipe is weaker than an NV40 pipe then people are obviously looking in the wrong place for answers....
So you're saying there's a geometry processing issue with the new core over the last one?

Well, not really issue, but rather that its a relatively small increase in geometry performance if any. I bet better drives will fix this.

robberbaron said:
I bet better drives will fix this.

I agree, how long has nVidia developed drivers for 6800 at the moment and how is the performance gain from first drivers for 6800 series?

I'm dying to get my hands on the 8800GTX! I'll kick the crap out of the G70 no problem, 64 pipes! Wow!

</crack>

robberbaron said:
So you're saying there's a geometry processing issue with the new core over the last one?

Well, not really issue, but rather that its a relatively small increase in geometry performance if any. I bet better drives will fix this.

or maybe 3dmark just isn't a good program to test a cards performance in games ;)

maybe you'll *gasp* actually have to look at game performance to see how well it plays games compared to the last generation

robberbaron said:

Well given the current rumoured specs G70 only has two more vertex shaders than NV40 - that is a 33% increase. I took a score of ~ 5700 from the latest review I could find - here . Now 33% on top of that is, voila!! - ~ 7600. Now add in some efficiency improvements and the higher clock speed and we can see that if 3dmark05 is highly vertex limited at that low resolution then 7600-7800 is expected (Actually it should be more since 30Mhz is a significant bump but what the heck). Can't wait for higher resolution and real game results!

This is all just speculation fueled by some comments at B3D but it fits so I like it :)

trinibwoy said:
Isn't that the same price the Ultra and PE debuted at? What are you guys so shocked by?

No, the Ultra was $499. The very rare Ultra Extreme was $599.

From [H]ard OCP Preview

"The Bottom Line

Here is what we know as of right now. The GeForce 6800Ultra will be priced at $499, contain 16 pipelines, require two Molex power connectors and in a two slot design clocked at 400/550. The GeForce 6800 will be priced at $299, contain 12 pipelines, require one Molex power connector, in a one slot design and clocks are yet to be decided."

trinibwoy said:
Well given the current rumoured specs G70 only has two more vertex shaders than NV40 - that is a 33% increase. I took a score of ~ 5700 from the latest review I could find - here . Now 33% on top of that is, voila!! - ~ 7600. Now add in some efficiency improvements and the higher clock speed and we can see that if 3dmark05 is highly vertex limited at that low resolution then 7600-7800 is expected (Actually it should be more since 30Mhz is a significant bump but what the heck). Can't wait for higher resolution and real game results!

This is all just speculation fueled by some comments at B3D but it fits so I like it :)

I knew I had read that before!!!! :D

wickedld9 said:
No, the Ultra was $499. The very rare Ultra Extreme was $599.

From [H]ard OCP Preview

"The Bottom Line

Here is what we know as of right now. The GeForce 6800Ultra will be priced at $499, contain 16 pipelines, require two Molex power connectors and in a two slot design clocked at 400/550. The GeForce 6800 will be priced at $299, contain 12 pipelines, require one Molex power connector, in a one slot design and clocks are yet to be decided."

That Preview is quoting MSRP. No way in hell the street price of the Ultra was $499 at launch.

any comment on R520 single card and how bout R520's crossfire? I am sure it will whoop 7800 GTX SLI for good i hope lol. The issue is the price. :p

BigDaddy85 said:
any comment on R520 single card and how bout R520's crossfire? I am sure it will whoop 7800 GTX SLI for good i hope lol. The issue is the price...

...and availability

Back