g502 lightspeed

I'm not a fan of the G502. I used one when the new shape came out a few years back. I threw mine out a while back and moved to the G Pro. I MUCH prefer the G Pro, and it's cheaper anyways.

I'm not a fan of the G502. I used one when the new shape came out a few years back. I threw mine out a while back and moved to the G Pro. I MUCH prefer the G Pro, and it's cheaper anyways.

I don't exactly love the shape of the G502, but the G Pro is super sparse. Just 2 shoulder buttons and a single top button. I have to have more functions than that. If they made one with 4 shoulder buttons that would be pretty cool.

I don't exactly love the shape of the G502, but the G Pro is super sparse. Just 2 shoulder buttons and a single top button. I have to have more functions than that. If they made one with 4 shoulder buttons that would be pretty cool.

I never used more than the primary two on the side on the G502 as it was, so it wasn't a loss for me. I can't think of many games besides older school MMO's where you need all those buttons anyways.

I far prefer the shape of the G Pro as I claw my mice. The G502 is just too bulky for that.

Finally, the metal scroll wheel on the G502 (And what used to be the G500 as well) all always fall apart on me over the course of a couple years. They just start corroding and falling apart. Also, the middle click action I absolutely hate on the G502 due to having the wheel that moves side to side. This makes using mouse button three basically require more effort than should be required. The G Pro has none of these issues.

The G502 is the case of something just having too much extra 'stuff' which detracts from it when you are actually using it, and if I needed a mouse with a million buttons for MMO usage i'd just get the G600 which has all those buttons.

It doesn't look like it, but I really recommend folks look past the novelty of all the 'extra' that the G502 has and try the G Pro. If you've used a G5/500 you know what you are getting with the G502. The Pro, while seemingly simple, is far superior mouse due to being better designed across the board IMO.

Last edited:
I'm my case, I like mapping as many functions as possible to my right hand. Some of it probably comes from a lifetime of using pads/sticks, too. Movement for the left hand, buttons on the right. I typically have fire, jump, "use," sprint, aim, grenades, swap weapons (wheel) and melee all mapped to my mouse.
I don't like having too much on my left side beyond movement, crouch, and occasional functions like inventory, healing, or some kind of super move. Especially in a sea of similar keys. That's also the knock on the MMO mouse. There's a fine line between lots of buttons and too many. Pinpointing a single function in a sea of 12 identical thumb buttons during a firefight just isn't gonna happen for me.

I still consider the G700 to be the perfect mouse as far as design goes. 4 shoulder buttons and 3 forefinger buttons. Unfortunately it has tracking issues and the left click degrades with time. The 502 is the closest modern thing they make to it, so here we are.

Last edited:
...and one full month later I'm still at 37% battery life. That's off of a single charge the day I got it and heavy usage.

I like the weight system but I hate the side buttons on my G502 if they were more rounded I would like it insted of flat angled on top.
I was using a Deathadder for the past two years but I switched to a G502 because I raised my chair and my desk is more flat so having less of a hump in the back of the mouse helped.
Like with how the G502 has plus my Carpal tunnel is gone.

I gave serious thought to getting the wireless G502 (already have a G502 Hero), it sounds fantastic.
But I use my PC on the sofa, keyboard on knee/cushion, mouse on cushion or seat.
A bit too often I lose sight where the mouse went and end up trailing the wire to find it.
With a wireless mouse I might never find it again lol!

Mine finally dropped below 10%, 6 weeks and 3 full games beginning to end later. Whatever battery tech (and tracking tech for that matter) they're using in this thing is unmatched.

I'm happy with my G502 Lightspeed even though the price was utterly ridiculous. This is the first wireless mouse that I can use in high-speed FPS games and my game has lifted dramatically. This is the best mouse I ever have and I originally had the original G502 Proteus Core. One day I will pony up for the PowerPlay mat.

Back