G45 chipset... good or bad?

What G45 boards would people recommend? Ive heard good things about the Intel DG45ID.

What G45 boards would people recommend? Ive heard good things about the Intel DG45ID.
well from what Ive heard:

-intel boards both mITX/mATX = only 1.8v ram works, and some boards have a weird noise present

- gigabyte mATX = no PCI-e x16 only PCI-e x4 2.0

- asus p5q-em = bad sata placement when using a large gfx card

i have one problem here myself right now with the ASUS P5Q-EM
it seems like i cant find the right driver or something...
i m having some problem playing some games ( low graphics one )
but it seems like i get very very low FPS when there are shit load of things in the screen...
i mean come on! itz X4500HD... itz gotta be better than the X3100 right?
because my frd who uses a macbook is actually having no problem to play the same game...
so i wonder if anyone know which driver should i use? i m running vista 64bit

@dexx
u stuck with an intel processor? and r u planning to add a gfx card in it? and what is ur main purpose with this build?

i mean come on! itz X4500HD... itz gotta be better than the X3100 right?
because my frd who uses a macbook is actually having no problem to play the same game...

Is your friend playing at the exact same resolution and settings as you are?

Also, just look for the latest graphics drivers on Intel's website. If you can't find them there, get them from Asus.

Also, the X4500HD is only 133Mhz faster and has two more shaders than the X3100. So performance is roughly the same actually.

ahh! sounds like worth a try to download it from ASUS first before i going all crazy again!
ya we played the same resolution and same settings just dunno why he has such smooth graphic hahah
and it is only a low graphic game that we play for fun once in awhile hahah
well i didnt expect a big difference from x3100 but i didnt expect it to be worse than x3100
but i guess itz a driver thing then!
thanks danny!

umm.. just checked with ASUS website they actually have an older version than the one i got from intel =/
could it be other problem instead? or maybe the old driver would actually be better?

Hmm, wonder what the problem is then? I was PMing CrimandEvil and I too am going to be running the DG45ID Micro ATX with a C2D e4500 and 2 gig of DDR2. I need to actually master ffdshow to maximize my quality and CPU usage for it.

Good luck with your build and I hope you figure it out. Without actually seeing it I can't begin to guess as to your problems.

On board video keeps coming up as not HDCP compliant on my DG45ID so I am using an 8800gt till I get it figured out (Clean install of Vista32 with all updated drivers and SP1)

I'm hoping AnyDVD HD will fix that for me! Love owning my discs, hate companies telling me what I can and can't do with my legally purchased stuff.

i guess more testing and trying with different drivers
before the most desperate move...
format the whole thing and go back to XP Home 32bit... which i dun really want :(

I bit on the P5Q-EM G45 and upgraded from my P5E-VM HDMI G35. After owning it for several days, some of my impresssions thus far:

- Undervolting works! Running at .89V @ 2.0GHz on my Q9300 to minimize heat and reduce noise. Before I could only run at a min of 1.08V on my P5E-VM HDMI mobo.

- Speedfan doesn't work! However, Asus Q-Fan seems to be doing a commendable job keeping fan rpm, and thus noise down.

- G45 works great in BD playback of MPEG2 / H.264-AVC, much better than G35. However, VC-1 playback is showing some slight hiccup. Hopefully Intel addresses this in later drivers.

Thus far, the upgrade was worth it imho, but I'm really considering the upcoming nVidia 9300/9400 solutions as there BD playback should be solid out of the chute.

I have that board. I don't play any discs on it. Just mkv's and avi's. So no copy protection. Audio works perfectly. I have no problems with it. HA works so i'm happy.

I have 2.2ghz C2D in it and I record 2 HD shows at once and can playback one at the same time. Doesn't even max out the CPU or the ram, of which I have 2gb.

Just thought I'd chime in. My media server is now doing double duty as an HD HTPC since I got a new TV and it gets by. Its a FX-55 o/c'd to around 2.8 or 2.9 and it can play back 1080p just fine using CoreAVC. So don't count single core out completely.

However its not perfect, I've had one x264 rip that couldn't play back with out stuttering (out of about 100). I do plan to upgrade to a 5050e when they're out if i can get the cash together. I really want to use Vista MCE but with a FX-55 and 512mb ram it isn't pretty.

My point is completely null and void if your talking about playing back ACTUAL Bluray media... I'm sure the full bandwidth would choke it out, but if you talking about rips... it works great.

Back