G3258 overclock question

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got G3258 on an eVGA z97 FTW board. Currently sitting at 4.1Ghz. I bumped the voltage up to 1.250. Is this to much? Should I lower it a little? I haven't done any formal benchmarking (stress testing) just yet but, even at that i feel my voltage might be a little to high.

You should not have to increase the voltage at all. I have mine sitting at 4.3 with no voltage increase.

You should not have to increase the voltage at all. I have mine sitting at 4.3 with no voltage increase.

I got a BSOD playin RO2 after bumpin it to 4.1. So i figured i'd give it a bump in voltage. Its been fine since. I'll have play around with it this evening, might see how far it'll go keeping it under 1.3v.

Might just have a voltage hungry chip. Should do around 4.4-4.5Ghz on 1.3V. I've played with several of them and never had one that was stable at 4.3Ghz on stock voltage. Usually I'd get 4.2Ghz on stock and have to bump it .1V to go above that.

You can juice those things all you want.
They don't have AVX instructions so they don't get hot or anything.
I'd run it as high as possible if it was me.

Might just have a voltage hungry chip. Should do around 4.4-4.5Ghz on 1.3V. I've played with several of them and never had one that was stable at 4.3Ghz on stock voltage. Usually I'd get 4.2Ghz on stock and have to bump it .1V to go above that.

Whats the break down voltage on them? From reading I've gathered that over 1.3 is kinda in the yellow area but nothing over 1.4 for long term. I'd like to get a long life out of this thing.

Whats the break down voltage on them? From reading I've gathered that over 1.3 is kinda in the yellow area but nothing over 1.4 for long term. I'd like to get a long life out of this thing.

I probably wouldn't run it over 1.3. But I don't think I'd worry about 1.3 with good cooling.

Not all chips are equal. Built my brother a rig with G3258 that does 4.2 with nothing extra and is perfectly stable.

Just built a rig for the old lady and it will BSOD at 4.2 in Borderlands 2.

Both using the same model motherboard, different RAM though.

Ugh sorry for the necro.

Out of the 3 I have had only 1 would do this and it wouldn't go over 4.4ghz without going over 1.26v so YMMV

Out of the 2 I have in front of my only one would even get to 4.1ghz stable on stock voltage for me :(

I got my G3258 to 4.5 with 1.29v
Mine is bad. I'm at 4.6 @ 1.385v
Mine are [email protected] and my other is 4.4@ 1.234

Not all chips are equal. Built my brother a rig with G3258 that does 4.2 with nothing extra and is perfectly stable.

Just built a rig for the old lady and it will BSOD at 4.2 in Borderlands 2.

Both using the same model motherboard, different RAM though.

Ugh sorry for the necro.

I had the same issue with 2 on the exact same model board with exact same ram. Only thing that changed was the power supply. I also had one that would BSOD at stock settings but overclocked great.

I was able to get my G3258 to 4.8 GHz with an OK air-cooler on an AsRock Z87E-ITX, here's my write-up: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-overclocking-thread.265/#post-4469

Basically I ended up with the following:

40x100 at 1.010V --- Input Voltage at 1.700V --- ~45°C (4.0 GHz - 25% overclock)
42x100 at 1.100V --- Input Voltage at 1.900V --- ~49°C (4.2 GHz - 31% overclock)
45x100 at 1.200V --- Input Voltage at 1.900V --- ~57°C (4.5 GHz - 41% overclock)
47x100 at 1.300V --- Input Voltage at 1.900V --- ~68°C (4.7 GHz - 47% overclock)
48x100 at 1.375V --- Input Voltage at 2.150V --- ~90°C (4.8 GHz - 50% overclock)

I still need to see how much lower I can get the voltage for 4.5 GHz and lower, but I'm still very happy I was able to achieve a 50% overclock on this CPU without any fancy gear.

Back