G2400WD top too dark?

avrora

n00b
Hi folks,

I've recently bought benq G2400WD, overall i'm very impressed with it, except the top of the monitor being darker has been bothering me a lot.

Can someone tell me if this is typical for this monitor or do I have a bad one?
Posting an example.

benqdarktop.jpg

This is typical of all TN technology, so I don't think your monitor is defective judging by this photo. 24" and larger screens show this effect the most.

The best viewing angle for TN is having your eyes level with the top third of the screen. If it's something that is a big bother to you then I'd recommend finding a monitor using the other panel types like IPS or S-PVA. They are significantly more expensive though.

as 10e said, this is due to the limited viewing angles of TN panels. If you look directly (at a 90 degree angle) at the top part and then lower your eyes and look straight at the bottom part you'll see that it looks the same .

Welcome to the world of TN panels. That is the very reason why I ditched cheap TN panel monitors, it was very distracting in gaming. Even when you line your eyes with top area so it would show proper brightness, then the bottom gets washed out. You can never get vertically even brightness with TN monitors, atleast with big ones anyway.

I have the same screen model and that looks a bit excessive to me. If you can link to the picture you used and the screen settings I can try to do a comparison with mine.

I have the same screen model and that looks a bit excessive to me. If you can link to the picture you used and the screen settings I can try to do a comparison with mine.
I have to agree with you, especially since it looks like the photo is taken directly in front, and not from below.

Whats the backlight bleed like on your screen avrora?

can someone with a same screen do a test picture for comparison?

the images i used for the test is in my previous post. tnx

My G2400WD has the same pattern of darkness near the top but I don't think it is quite that bad. I find if I angle the monitor just slightly down from perpendicular to my eyes, it looks more evenly lit.

can someone with a same screen do a test picture for comparison?

the images i used for the test is in my previous post. tnx

I've been away from my computer the last few days but I'll try it soon. Can you post your exact brightness settings in the meantime? I've noticed that the viewing angle get's worse with low brightness settings, atleast if you adjust them through the graphic card.

I think you got a defective one, I used to own a G2400W and now I have 2693HM, from what I see the on my 2693HM(the test pic) and what I recall from the days I used 2400W I can tell you for 100% sure my G2400W would not be half as bad.

This was surprising, I took a photo and my screen looks almost identical to yours. In my opinion it isn't anywhere near as bad in reality as in the photo so I was a bit shocked when I looked at the LCD on the camera when taking the picture. I guess it has something to do with how our vision seem to compress objective brightness differences into far smaller subjective differences.

http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh361/Upset_Nerd/G2400WD.jpg

Back