G-SYNC Do-It-Yourself Kit Now Available

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA's website has the G-SYNC Do-It-Yourself kit listed now for $199 plus $9.50 shipping. For those of you that haven't seen it yet, here's the DIY instructional video we posted on Monday.

For a limited time, we are making a G-SYNC Do-It-Yourself Kit available. If you have an ASUS VG248QE monitor, you can purchase the kit and mod your monitor. Assuming you are proficient with modding, this solution might be right for you. The installation process should take approximately 30 minutes.

I'm all for team green, and this new tech, but that price... damn.... Can only imagine what the premium for monitors with this tech will be. Not impressed with this roll out so far.

Exactly. $200 and must mod a monitor worth about 20 minutes (minimum) of careful work. I'll wait to see how much the monitors cost with G-Sync already inside. They must be close to releasing by now, and will probably be pretty expensive at first. I'm hoping around mid-year they will have been out for a while and come down in price. Even gamers like myself who spend on high end equipment will most likely think this is too much. I agree that $100 would be reasonable for this do-it-yourself kit. $200 is way too much in my opinion.

I'm all for team green, and this new tech, but that price... damn.... Can only imagine what the premium for monitors with this tech will be. Not impressed with this roll out so far.
You realize this is basically like buying small-production-run prototype hardware, right?

When this is mass-produced and already built into monitors, it's going to cost a lot less :p

shame its only available for certain monitors only, hopefully they will develop it further to include other manufactured monitors. New tech with new tech price. I'll wait till its more reasonable.

AND despite the fact that its a totally option only and only being done for one monitor in DIY and its going to be $99 when it releases preinstalled on G-sync enabled monitor...

Its amazing and a total game changer for PC gamers.

$100 yes. $200 fuck no.
Maybe give it a few months for nvidia to feed monitor companies their boards and those monitor companies to ramp up production of built in monitors with g-sync. It's a 200 dollar custom board by asus for only 1 asus monitor to give it g-sync. In other words it's just a large premium for people who want to get a feature really early.

Probably one of the biggest improvements to "gameplay experience" in a long time. Probably as much as what the 8800GTX did to Oblivion.

Note: I did not say FPS'ing canned benchmarks.
Yeah a buddy of mine did the mod and the gameplay that comes out of it is smooth, all without the lag of things like triple buffering. I'm picking up one of those monitors since i have a compatible gpu for it, but probably not till a couple months down the road where the price of it falls and it come integrated into the monitors.

I was honestly REALLY hoping for a $150 roundabout, $200 + shipping :/ Makes me a little sad and I think I will wait on G-Sync until price drops a bit to throw it in my own VG248QE.

It's expensive... but I would probably do it... IF the card had HDMI and not just a display port. What's up with that? I hope the monitors will have the full set of ports and not just display port.

It's already $200. It would be more with an HDMI port due to licensing costs/royalties.

It's expensive... but I would probably do it... IF the card had HDMI and not just a display port. What's up with that? I hope the monitors will have the full set of ports and not just display port.
? Why would the mod to the monitor remove HDMI from the gpu. DP only is for the monitor. G-sync only supports DP though. And there is little point to spending a premium for a G-sync monitor and not use G-sync. Afaik there isn't a reasonable detriment to DP for gaming reasons that you'd want to use HDMI over it.

I think that I may see more benefit from spending an additional $200 on a radeon.

? Why would the mod to the monitor remove HDMI from the gpu. DP only is for the monitor. G-sync only supports DP though. And there is little point to spending a premium for a G-sync monitor and not use G-sync. Afaik there isn't a reasonable detriment to DP for gaming reasons that you'd want to use HDMI over it.

I use my monitor for my PS3 and Wii U as well. I'm all for using display port, but I still need HDMI on my monitor.

I think that I may see more benefit from spending an additional $200 on a radeon.

Higher frame rates , yep , but still jerky stuttery gameplay.

You really can not explain the benefit of G-sync in action online in a forum. You simply have to see it. Certain games with loads of stuttering due to programming really shine (Metro Last Light , Tomb Raider and BF4 big time).

It might be out of reach for many right now but this IS the tech you must have as a gamer. my ASUS monitor may not have the best picture quality or options (now that its DP only) but when I play games on it .. I wouldn't trade the experience for a 4k monitor. It takes away dealing with v-sync altogether. Even when its not 60 fps it still keeps things in check.

When I buy my next monitor it WILL have G-sync built in. I refuse to buy any new monitor that doesn't come equipped with it. Its that much of a must have feature now.

I can only imagine when these monitors start doing lightboost + g-sync how smooth that picture will be.

Higher frame rates , yep , but still jerky stuttery gameplay.

You really can not explain the benefit of G-sync in action online in a forum. You simply have to see it. Certain games with loads of stuttering due to programming really shine (Metro Last Light , Tomb Raider and BF4 big time).

It might be out of reach for many right now but this IS the tech you must have as a gamer. my ASUS monitor may not have the best picture quality or options (now that its DP only) but when I play games on it .. I wouldn't trade the experience for a 4k monitor. It takes away dealing with v-sync altogether. Even when its not 60 fps it still keeps things in check.

When I buy my next monitor it WILL have G-sync built in. I refuse to buy any new monitor that doesn't come equipped with it. Its that much of a must have feature now.

I can only imagine when these monitors start doing lightboost + g-sync how smooth that picture will be.

If this is the tech you must have as a gamer, who are all the people who want the oculus rift tech like myself? Pretend gamers?

One of my sons has the ASUS VG248QE monitor and I don't know if you guys are aware but this is a 3D monitor which 3D only works through Dual-link DVI-D with Nvidia 3D Vision 2 glasses.

I am interested in this mod but I will have to know if it retains its 3D capability or not with which ever output it has. I've heard its HDMI only and here everyone seems to think its DP only. $200.00 to for Gsync, self install and killing 3D is a lot to ask from a customer.

Maybe [H] can get to the bottom of this?

Just watched the video on the mod and it looks like the G-sync device only leaves a display port. Also just verified that 3D does work in Display Port on the monitor so I would imagine the mod still enables 3D.

Yeah a buddy of mine did the mod and the gameplay that comes out of it is smooth, all without the lag of things like triple buffering. I'm picking up one of those monitors since i have a compatible gpu for it, but probably not till a couple months down the road where the price of it falls and it come integrated into the monitors.
+1. I got my VG248QE yesterday (w/o Gsync) for $265 shipped. Lightboost 120hz is very very nice. I probably won't ever use the 144hz feature.

But it's too soon to plop down another $200. Maybe in a year or so.

Call me when I can do this to my TV. Would love GSync on my custom steam box but I'm never going back to a tiny screen.

One of my sons has the ASUS VG248QE monitor and I don't know if you guys are aware but this is a 3D monitor which 3D only works through Dual-link DVI-D with Nvidia 3D Vision 2 glasses.

I am interested in this mod but I will have to know if it retains its 3D capability or not with which ever output it has. I've heard its HDMI only and here everyone seems to think its DP only. $200.00 to for Gsync, self install and killing 3D is a lot to ask from a customer.

Maybe [H] can get to the bottom of this?

We've been using Lightboost without 3D being enabled for quite some time.

The VG248QE is obviously capable of 3D assuming you buy the IR emitter and 3D glasses since the monitor does NOT come with an IR emitter built into it, however, killing 3D is certainly not asking a lot from the customers IMO, as NVIDIA is moving towards a better general gaming experience. If you've only played with the 3D features of the monitor and never tried out Lightboost in 2D mode in FPS games, quite frankly I'd say you are missing out on a lot the monitor can offer. Lightboost in conjunction with G-Sync should simply be splendid.

You can read more on it over at Blur Busters

Call me when I can do this to my TV. Would love GSync on my custom steam box but I'm never going back to a tiny screen.
TV are a poor choice for gaming without lag, TVs tend to run a bunch of post processing and little way to turn that off, esp if you're using a plsama. The whole point of G-sync is that it's adaptive Vsync without the lag of buffering as it runs in sync with your monitor.

TV are a poor choice for gaming without lag, TVs tend to run a bunch of post processing and little way to turn that off, esp if you're using a plsama. The whole point of G-sync is that it's adaptive Vsync without the lag of buffering as it runs in sync with your monitor.

I haven't noticed any lag. Is that the same kind of lag I'm getting with my wireless mouse, i.e. awful no-no for "hardcore gamers" but in reality pretty much inperceptible?

If this is the tech you must have as a gamer, who are all the people who want the oculus rift tech like myself? Pretend gamers?

What? You seriously getting offended that I recommended all PC gamers take advantage of this technology? Lol

Anyway I'm not sure how the Oculus plans to handle v-sync issues but I do imagine if it isn't handled that it will take you out of the experience. Having a full 360 degree view then suddenly half the world is out of sync because of some heavy action during that moment would be even more jarring then a regular monitor/tv display.

Again if you haven't seen G-sync in action its pretty hard to explain why its so good. Its not something you can really describe to someone else , hell its even hard to show in a video.

I'm of the personal belief that once you see it you'll be impressed and considering its only a $99 upgrade in the near future I think its absolutely worth it.

however, killing 3D is certainly not asking a lot from the customers IMO, as NVIDIA is moving towards a better general gaming experience.

It's not being killed, DP supports 3D

I haven't noticed any lag. Is that the same kind of lag I'm getting with my wireless mouse, i.e. awful no-no for "hardcore gamers" but in reality pretty much inperceptible?
If you're playing with a wireless mouse and a TV, no one can take you as a gamer seriously...

Oh its real. TV's are always worse in terms of input latency and while it varies from TV to TV the best I've ever seen is around 8ms and I happen to own that TV (Samsung A650 40 inch). But the vast majority of recent TV releases have heavy post processing and the lowest I've seen of recent models is around 25-30ms which is right at the limit of what most of us can perceive in terms of input latency.

Then again we all process information at different speeds so while I'm sensitive to input latency you may not be.

If you're playing with a wireless mouse and a TV, no one can take you as a gamer seriously...

I'm a grown man with a career. I don't need anyone to take my video game hobby seriously. I play games to enjoy myself.

Back