• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

G.Skill vs OCZ

YARDofSTUF

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 19, 2001
Messages
1,469
System this is for is in my sig.

I'm looking at PC4000 from either

OCZ timings are 3 4 3 8, Gskill is 3 4 4 8

OCZ Voltage is 2.75 and Gskill is 2.6-2.8

I'm 50/50 on who to go with, what I dont like is the variable voltage on Gskill, how reliable is it?

Both links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227066

or also this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227219


Just can't make up my mind on what to go with.
 
I have the PC4000 from OCZ (Gold GX XTC)

Not sure if G-Skill come with a lifetime warranty but thats 1/2 the reason I went with OCZ. I had some OCZ PC3200 that I never had probs with. Plus they have very gd support.

Sure some ppl will have comments about G-Skill as I believe these are very popular also
 
Definatly G.Skill. Both sets have the same chips under the hood (UCCC). Its pretty hit or miss, getting anywhere from 250-290 depending on how good a set you get, but thats just the luck of the draw. My Mushkin sticks with UCCC do 280 stable and boot at 290. G.Skill is cheaper, and IHMO is the better brand to support. They make some of the best memory that money can buy, and at great prices. Not to mention the guys over there are very friendly. If you ever need warrenty service, they are awesome to work with. You don't get half wits sitting behind a computer sending off pre-typed emails (not sure exactly how OCZ handles things, just guessing), but G.Skill you talk to technicians who talk on the same level of expertise as you. Being that they are the underdog, i'd rather see them get my money. They need it more than OCZ does ;)
 
OCZ support is as good as I've found. The OCZ guys who run the support forums over at Bleeding Edge are very helpfull and supply bios settings etc.

The timings are almost the same for both you quote so maybe it's down to price.

Plus the GX XTC has some sexy heatspreaders...... :rolleyes:
 
Both great sticks... it was a tossup for me! :)
 
good choice on the Gskill, also, they arent warenteed to 2.65-2.8v, thats all they need to run stock speeds of pc4000. and they have a lifetime warentee 2nd to none. if you sell those sticks, the next buyer gets the warentee.
 
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
good choice on the Gskill, also, they arent warenteed to 2.65-2.8v

So then all sticks are good for the rated speed at some voltage between 2.65-2.8? or at all voltages between that?

I've heard GSkill likes low volts, thats a good thing!
 
YARDofSTUF said:
So then all sticks are good for the rated speed at some voltage between 2.65-2.8? or at all voltages between that?

I've heard GSkill likes low volts, thats a good thing!

well, the sticks are guarenteed to do ddr500 3-4-4-8 with 2.65-2.8v anywhere in between those voltages they will run ddr500 3-4-4-8.
 
I like my Gskill (look in sig)...wish they were faster but thats OK...right now they are doing 262mhz @ 3-4-4-8-1T with 2.65v, they CANNOT go any faster no matter what i try. I got they luck of getting only a mildly overclockable chip set. Which is OK b/c my CPU is only able to overclock to 2.750ghz and my computer is right at the limit. 262mhz x 10.5 = 2751mhz. Now if you have a something that can do more you may be hampered by a bad set of Gskill that wont overclock much. I seem like one of the few to get this low of overclocking capability. Theres the facts concerning my set of Gskill's. BTW the black heat spreader is very attractive.
 
AndoOKC1 said:
I like my Gskill (look in sig)...wish they were faster but thats OK...right now they are doing 262mhz @ 3-4-4-8-1T with 2.65v, they CANNOT go any faster no matter what i try. I got they luck of getting only a mildly overclockable chip set. Which is OK b/c my CPU is only able to overclock to 2.750ghz and my computer is right at the limit. 262mhz x 10.5 = 2751mhz. Now if you have a something that can do more you may be hampered by a bad set of Gskill that wont overclock much. I seem like one of the few to get this low of overclocking capability. Theres the facts concerning my set of Gskill's. BTW the black heat spreader is very attractive.

your 1/2 multi is making your ram speed all funky, its running at ddr500 with that 262x10.5. it puts it on a weird divider even if you set it to 1:1.
 
YARDofSTUF said:
Its not here right now though. I saw the thread, didnt see it forsale at any of my trusted places online, so I went back to the OCZ or GSkill tug of war.

I am having the same problem! OCZ or G.Skill......... Have you decided on one yet?
 
metallicafan said:
Link

It has good timings and it also fairly cheap for 2GB. :)

It's DDR400 and is only $7 less than the G.Skill after rebate. In my opinion, the G.Skill is a much better buy.
 
Running 250 3 4 4 8 @2.6v no problems.

Damn its good to be back at the 2GB mark!

Gotta do a memtest and see how high these will go.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
let us know man. :D:D


No memtest yet, but I'm at 260mhz 3 4 4 8

Its passed my NFS U2 test and seems to be passing the folding one too.

Still at 2.6v

Well teh 2.6 setting, shows up in bios as 2.7, not sure if its off or if the DFI board just gives it extra juice.



EDIT: Holy crap! I can use the 10x multi without freezing at POST now!

EDIT2: 250x11, 2.75ghz is looking good, if it stays folding stable, I have a new sweet spot.
 
Back
Top