FYI: New AMD AGESA Microcode in the Wild & New UEFI

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I am getting back information this morning from motherboard builders that new AMD AGESA microcode has been released and we are now seeing UEFI/BIOS files appearing on manufacturers' websites. So if you are a Ryzen owner, I would highly suggest checking for new UEFI today and getting that flashed appropriately. Hopefully this will address some of the RAM compatibility issues we have seen. And as always, we suggest flashing the UEFI from inside the UEFI, not inside your OS. Also keep in mind that these newer UEFI do not always flash like older BIOS. I suggest flashing UEFI from a USB flash drive. Leave the flash drive in the system and leave it alone until you see the system back to the desktop, or back in the UEFI with instructions on what to do. The trick here is to NOT remove the new UEFI files until you are 100% sure the system is finished with the files. It is not unusual for this to take a "long time" with these newer UEFI systems, and it is very likely that you will encounter some reboots during this process. I mention this as I know many of you have been putting off new system builds for quite some time, and while UEFI is certainly more robust than the old-time BIOS, it does things a bit differently than you might be used to. Good luck!

AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture (AGESA), is a bootstrap protocol by which system devices on AMD64-architecture mainboards are initialized. The AGESA software in the BIOS of such mainboards is responsible for the initialization of the processor cores, memory, and the HyperTransport controller.

Can someone do a few before and after benchmarks? I would like to see if this makes a difference in anything outside of compatibilities.

If it enables higher RAM clocks, higher CPU overclocks due to better stability, then yes.

If it enables higher RAM clocks, higher CPU overclocks due to better stability, then yes.
Really?

giphy.gif

I am fairly sure his question was directly related to IPC.

IPC would be unaffected IMO. Ability to raise the RAM clock will enable higher performance as shown on many benchmarks.

Then what would be the point of faster RAM then?

It was shown with higher speed RAM that the gaming performance has increased. I don't really care about canned benchmarks. Gaming performance is the most critical subject here anyways.

If you are contesting me, then you tell us what this will or 'could' do. Because asking me in the form of a question is just showing sarcasm. If faster RAM doesn't improve Ryzen on any metric, well, then what is the point of this upgrade?

Edit: I know many users are stuck at 2133mhz DDR4 due to memory incompatibility. Is this what you are telling us, much higher memory compatibility?

It was shown with higher speed RAM that the gaming performance has increased. I don't really care about canned benchmarks. Gaming performance is the most critical subject here anyways.

The same applies to Intel chips. What Kyle is getting at is that you won't be seeing any Ryzen performance increase, what you might see is a slight total system performance increase that would apply to any system when increasing RAM speed. So benchmarking won't change the disparity of Ryzen vs Intel, at all.

Edit: I know many users are stuck at 2133mhz DDR4 due to memory incompatibility. Is this what you are telling us, much higher memory compatibility?
I cannot comment to every single motherboard and stick of RAM on the planet. However, new UEFIs should be out today and beyond and I would suggest our readers might want to give these a look as we are hoping to see better memory compatibility. And yes, if memory clocks are higher, we should see better performance, but I would not expect to see changes in IPC.

If you are contesting me, then you tell us what this will or 'could' do. Because asking me in the form of a question is just showing sarcasm. If faster RAM doesn't improve Ryzen on any metric, well, then what is the point of this upgrade?

I think Kyle was being sarcastic lol

Unless you're using an Asus Prime...
Code:
Version 0504
PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0504
Enhance memory compatibility.
2017/02/28

Unless you're using an Asus Prime...
Code:
Version 0504
PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0504
Enhance memory compatibility.
2017/02/28
BIOSs need to be updated first before you get the non-beta versions. Microcode has to be programmed in for each board.

I think Kyle was being sarcastic lol
I was being fully sarcastic. Breaking news: Higher clocks, higher performance. Yep.

The point of the post before someone decided to let us know that breaking news, is that there is new microcode out there and it might very well help you out with a new Ryzen build. But please, let's pull this post off topic into one of the other Ryzen IPC threads already going on. :rolleyes:

Reactions: NKD
like this
Kyle, any idea if this would help with voltage and temp. detection?
Oops, front page borked

Last edited:
BIOSs need to be updated first before you get the non-beta versions. Microcode has to be programmed in for each board.

That's the issue. No BIOS updates for 3 weeks and counting. I have a feeling Asus is just going to say FU to all the early adopters and release Rev. 2.0, abandoning this board completely.

That's the issue. No BIOS updates for 3 weeks and counting. I have a feeling Asus is just going to say FU to all the early adopters and release Rev. 2.0, abandoning this board completely.

I understand how you feel since I own two of the same motherboard. However, as long as our boards are stable and fast, we just need to be patient. (Of course, I have been checked every single day for a new bios, just in case. :) ) My ram at home runs at 2666 although it is 2800 ram. However, my ram in the other computer is running at 2133 but it is capable of 3000. That is what I need a new bios for in my second computer.

In my main computer, I have a 1700X and want or need more accurate temp readings. Yes, I know I could subtract 20C but still......

Thank you, I kept forgetting that I had already tried that a few days ago. I should have provided the link for others though, sorry about that. I went back to 0504 because the 1700 showed increased temps and the ram still did not work above 2133. At home, the ram I am using at 2666 on 0504 would not work with the 0505 above 2133, so I switched back here as well. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

ASUS is probably paying a lot more attention to the Crosshair 6 Hero due to the fact they sent out the boards with bios that will brick them (turn them into a brick) . I am sure with plenty of RMA work ahead of them as well. I am glad I got on the train on this one -> totally fun being in the mixed.

Back