FX 8350 apparently still inspiring new builds

duronboy

Gawd
8350.png

Did old FX boards have fTPM? I wouldn't have thought so, but maybe I am misremembering.

Did old FX boards have fTPM? I wouldn't have thought so, but maybe I am misremembering.
Couldn't you buy add in tpm modules?

Vishera CPUs were and still are much better than their reputation suggests. Although it looks like they only included the minimum necessary fans

Couldn't you buy add in tpm modules?

Vishera CPUs were and still are much better than their reputation suggests. Although it looks like they only included the minimum necessary fans
I'm not sure if you could what far back. Some modules are board mounted, not in a dip socket.

As far as the chip being good, I don't really disagree. They were ok, speed wise, but the power required was ridiculous.

Seems to have a reputation for being a ten-year-old chip. Benchmarks and performance per watt don't seem to disagree! lol

As far as the chip being good, I don't really disagree. They were ok, speed wise, but the power required was ridiculous.
The 63xx and 83xx weren't really that bad. 95w and 125w. Intel used less power at the time, but I wouldn't say those numbers were rediculous. The 9xxxs however, they were the definition of rediculous.

The 63xx and 83xx weren't really that bad. 95w and 125w. Intel used less power at the time, but I wouldn't say those numbers were rediculous. The 9xxxs however, they were the definition of rediculous.
I got a 9590 years ago from a thrift store and I didn't run it for long. It was HOT.

Whoever installed the OS probably just used one of the 30 different bypass methods when they installed it, at which point system requirements are no different than Windows 8 or 10.

Another thing to keep in mind is that older AMD CPUs have "aged better", since there have been a lot more vulnerabilities discovered on older Intel chips and their performance has gone down with each new mitigation. In some cases, older generations of CPUs where Intel used to have a clear lead are now neck-and-neck with their AMD counterparts from the same era.

To be fair, my FX 4100 still runs at 4.4 GHz, and is still powering my second work PC, dual booting to CentOS Linux and Windows 10 Enterprise. It's 11+ years old now, and still going strong.

It's still doing a nice job of calculating protein structures in CYANA 2.1 on the Linux partition, while even still being usable for some gaming paired with its GTX 660, even with good eye candy turned up.

That being said, it's certainly obsolete, along with the rest of the FX series, and anyone building something new could easily do much better with even the entry level Ryzen's or i3 12th gen CPU's. I wouldn't waste any more time upgrading it, and when 2025 rolls around with Win 10 being EOL, it's going to become a permanent Linux system, just not CentOS, since they went to that awful stream...

I just checked YT and someone did a comparison between the 8350 and a 3770 (non-K) and the 3770 was still edging out the 8350 in most games. So yeah, still not that good even after all the security patches. Video was 1 year old.

They don't. Looking at the board it's an Asus M5A97 or M5A99 variant. They have a TPM module header on the motherboard you can purchase an add on TPM module for. This person being some ding dong that is selling this pile of garbage on Craigslist is probably using a bypass method. Why spend money on something when you're simply unloading a turd on some unsuspecting person for profit.

Last edited:
I still have an FX-8320e system but haven't turned it on in a couple years. My old esxi test box. I've thought about parting it out and selling but I honestly didn't think it would be worth the tens of dollars I might get for it. The FX are fine for desktop/office use and are plenty snappy with an SSD. But for gaming, my Phenom II was better.

This listing I think is a bunch of old parts in a new case... and good luck getting $500 for that. The 1050ti is barely adequate for 1080p low/720p high. And no mention of ram or ssd sizes. And Win 11... just WHY

I also just glanced at my mobo manual (asrock 970) and there is no mention of a tpm header and I don't see it on the diagrams. So unlikely this guy's has one either.

See above, in bold.

Its called crapitalism

This was my point. No one should be buying an AM3 system today especially for $500. For that same price I'm selling a ryzen 5 2600 machine with a GTX 1080 and it has some profit baked into that price. Which of the two makes more sense for $500?

His point is it might not be a profit if the person has to buy and solder on a TPM module.

There is a ton of profit in someone selling this machine for $500. My point is they're knowingly selling a pile of shit, targeting people who don't know to avoid buying AM3 today, and rather than doing something right, they're bypassing it because it cuts into their profit margins.

I still have an FX-8320e system but haven't turned it on in a couple years. My old esxi test box. I've thought about parting it out and selling but I honestly didn't think it would be worth the tens of dollars I might get for it. The FX are fine for desktop/office use and are plenty snappy with an SSD. But for gaming, my Phenom II was better.

This listing I think is a bunch of old parts in a new case... and good luck getting $500 for that. The 1050ti is barely adequate for 1080p low/720p high. And no mention of ram or ssd sizes. And Win 11... just WHY

I also just glanced at my mobo manual (asrock 970) and there is no mention of a tpm header and I don't see it on the diagrams. So unlikely this guy's has one either.

Agreed for the most part. Getting some money out of it is better than just letting it sit in your closet and become worthless though.

Asus boards have had a TPM header on them for a while AM3 / 1150. ASRock added them much later.

No one should be buying an AM3 system today especially for $500.
I dunno, it's almost old enough to be retro, but the case and GPU selection don't really jive with that possible theme. Still, probably good advice.

I can't really say I have a problem with the listing from some of the standpoints I'm perceiving in this thread. The only technical claim they're making is the specs, which anyone can look up on passmark to see how they fare against contemporary offerings. They are calling it a "gaming" pc, but uh, it does have a discrete GPU. There are worse values out there for gaming. Holy crap are there worse.

This PC was very likely sold by an individual running a very small business, based on this being on a classified site and the goofy cliche marketing speak. But if this makes you want to start running to the factories and reclaiming the means of production, or whatever, just take a look at Amazon. Do a search for "gaming pc" with a price between 475 and 500. GT 1030s and GTX 650s galore. Some of those might have a better CPU, but who cares if you're gaming you have a Vega 3 iGPU and that's it.

Reactions: travm
like this
I dunno, it's almost old enough to be retro
This really is a thing, i'm not sure FX is quite there yet, but I sold my 7870's a few years ago. One guy was a kid, first gaming GPU. The other guy had been scouring the web looking for the most powerful video card he could find that had windows XP drivers.

Back