Future proofing is it real?

Vithar

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to as is getting the best CPU you can buy, mostly because that's the one part you can't upgrade, really a good idea just so you don't have to build a new computer a few years down the line? I mean the Core 2 Quad 9650 was one of the best CPUs of its time and now the Phenom 965 which is about as good as the 9650 is only a fraction of the 9650's price. This is just an example but I just want your guys opinion is future proofing really worth it?

There is no such thing as future proofing because development cycles for electronics are relatively short and we never know what's coming down the line. Sometimes you get a CPU with good staying power like the Q6600. Other times you don't. The Core 2 Duo 6850 Extreme Edition was an example of a CPU outclassed by another of the same price quickly. Yet sometimes upgrades like the Core i7 980X to Core i7 990X were so minimal they weren't really any better than the previous CPU in practical matters.

But your comments about CPUs not being upgradable doesn't make sense. They are socketed and usually are easily upgraded. The problem is that if you buy early, and wait too late in the product life cycle then it becomes a futile action.

By not upgradable I mean like now you can't buy an AMD 1100T because they are all out. If you get a core i3 now and next year you decide to get a core i5 that works with ur computer because you finally saved up well those core i5 might not be in stock anymore. That's what I mean by not upgradeable.

By not upgradable I mean like now you can't buy an AMD 1100T because they are all out. If you get a core i3 now and next year you decide to get a core i5 that works with ur computer because you finally saved up well those core i5 might not be in stock anymore. That's what I mean by not upgradeable.

No but something else might be in stock that does work.

Just because a chip is no longer carried by a retailer doesn't mean you can't get it....

The Buy/Sell Forum here is proof of that. Besides, how often do you see a CPU permantently go bad nowadays to not trust private sellers with decent reputation/Heatware?

Just because a chip is no longer carried by a retailer doesn't mean you can't get it....

The Buy/Sell Forum here is proof of that. Besides, how often do you see a CPU permantently go bad nowadays to not trust private sellers with decent reputation/Heatware?

Especially since the pins are no longer on the CPUs. And again newer options are usually out there and are compatible with the board you've already got unless you waited far too long to upgrade. Such as doing so well within the next product line's life cycle.

Just wanted to as is getting the best CPU you can buy, mostly because that's the one part you can't upgrade, really a good idea just so you don't have to build a new computer a few years down the line?
No. In addition to the reasons that Dan_D brought up, your future usage scenarios and needs may end up changing and therefore determining whether or not the hardware will adequately meet the needs. I've seen cases where a person no longer had time to play games and pretty much only browsed the net during his off-time. At that point, the $220 CPU and GPU they bought for gaming was a poor choice. In other cases, the $220 CPU they bought for gaming was insufficient for their needs as they become more heavily involved with virtualization or video editing/rendering. Not to mention cases where people are perfectly happy with the performance they're getting even though the CPU is old by today's standards.

So in other words, buy the parts that fits your need and immediate future needs. Don't buy parts for potential future usage.

all of the points are relevant in certain ways.

1. First, Danny has the sensible generic take on the situation. "buy the parts that fits your need and immediate future needs"

2. Try this analogy. Vacation Planning.
2.1 Some people must plan their vacation in extreme detail in advance. Sometimes it is a need, sometimes it is in their nature.
2.2 Some other people must have some major must-see vintage points on their vacation planning. After that they allow free time to explore local scene
2.3 On the other extreme is complete leisure travellers with no particular focus. By chance(say they feel a need for vacation) they ended up on a location and randomly choose to explore freely or else join local tour, or partial, no set guideline.
2.4 You also have backpackers, with some expectations, but with less resources, so they travel freely but arrive at certain combination. However, they frequently also have interesting routes and fun due to other circumstances not common for travellers on official guided tour.

3. There are probably many more types, you get the picture.

It is quite similar for computers...

Edit : examples. Per forum guideline of relating to topic.
A. Thus if you are the upgrade oriented people, there will be circumstances or reasoning you think up for your ownself that will ensure the upgrade circumstances is valid, even if other may view it differently.
A.1 For example, say you have a computer with a lot of special software. To change may require extremely involved process and costs. To some, the hassle is not worth the overhaul, so they may upgrade rather than move to new system.

Last edited:
Back