Future Mark Game

i'm in the beta and no one seems to be playing it. interesting concept but seems very meh for me. plus it is the first dx10 only game so only those with vista/ 7 can play it, so dunno how well they expect it to sell.

Well... looking at how 7 sell have outdone even Harry Potter, the market is getting bigger.

But is is limited, still.

Since this is from a company which has only ever released benchmark software, I'll be shocked if this game is anything more than pretty graphics and mediocre multiplayer.

Since this is from a company which has only ever released benchmark software, I'll be shocked if this game is anything more than pretty graphics and mediocre multiplayer.

You mean like Crysis:p

Yeah... if the graphics are good enough, however, it will have a fan base right off of that.

Same thoughts here. Looks like it could be wicked fun, probly won't pre-order though.

It's only $18 on steam. I might grab it. FutureMark has always been great at the eye candy. It would be interesting to see if they can craft a decent gameplay experience as well.

It's only $18 on steam. I might grab it. FutureMark has always been great at the eye candy. It would be interesting to see if they can craft a decent gameplay experience as well.

I look forward to your hi-res shots of this game for the screen shot thread :O

Can you shoot bullets in space?

Assuming that the things they were doing in that video are possible, it is reasonable to assume that humanity could have designed self-oxidizing gun powder, or some other oxygen-free means of propulsion.

I was in on the beta test and it sucked. The gameplay was so shallow its not even funny. The graphics weren't that great either. Crysis has better graphics. The videos you see from Futuremark have to be touched up because even with the settings maxed out, it looked pretty bad.

It's a neat concept... but they totally didn't do anything with it..

Looks bad tbh. I'm intrigued because it's futuremark but it really doesn't show any gameplay.

This game reminds me of Ender's Game, the book by Orson Scott Card (check it out if you haven't read it). I may pick it up on Steam, after I get sick of TF2.

This game reminds me of Ender's Game, the book by Orson Scott Card (check it out if you haven't read it). I may pick it up on Steam, after I get sick of TF2.

you'll play it for 10 minutes and go right back to TF2 and then make a post complaining how bad it is.

It didn't really look all that great to me... I would expect a game from futuremark to be graphically amazing.

The beta was quite fun at times. The graphics are great but are demanding. With my system (see signature) I got 20 to 30 FPS at 1680x1050, medium settings with high textures. The zero-g gameplay is pretty unique and makes for some interesting moments.

Designing a gun that fires in space is not that hard. Figuring out a way to counteract the reaction force created each time a bullet is fired would be the tricky part.

Not really an issue. Even though you are in zero g, your body has MUCH more mass than the bullet and gun....it would add some small movement to you that would accrue over time but you won't exactly get launched backwards from a few bullets....that only happens in movies :) and isn't even close to reality.

The controls seem too "floaty" :)

I also think it all looks really unrealistic, but I've never seen people scoot around in space like that, so maybe it's perfectly realistic?

Does the viewpoint change automatically based on the situation? 3rd person for exploration, 1st person for shooting? That's a neat idea I haven't seen before (although, I'd be surprised if it hasn't been done before, I just don't play alot of games)

Not really an issue. Even though you are in zero g, your body has MUCH more mass than the bullet and gun....it would add some small movement to you that would accrue over time but you won't exactly get launched backwards from a few bullets....that only happens in movies :) and isn't even close to reality.

It would be a significant problem, while the bullet may weight practically nothing compared to the person firing it, its being accelerated to a extremly high velocity. Rifle bullets routinely have muzzle energies above 2000ft/lbs. While this may not be enough to send someone flying like they do in the movies, its going to impart a not insignificant velocity on a person in microgravity. Not to mention the crazy tumble because of the off axis application of this force.

Looks like it might be interesting if the "flying" combat is a significant part of the gameplay. Would definatly try out a demo if one becomes available.

I really like the looks of this game. For that price, I picked it up instantly. This is the best "shooter with a gimmick" I've seen in a while.

It would be a significant problem, while the bullet may weight practically nothing compared to the person firing it, its being accelerated to a extremly high velocity. Rifle bullets routinely have muzzle energies above 2000ft/lbs. While this may not be enough to send someone flying like they do in the movies, its going to impart a not insignificant velocity on a person in microgravity. Not to mention the crazy tumble because of the off axis application of this force.

Looks like it might be interesting if the "flying" combat is a significant part of the gameplay. Would definatly try out a demo if one becomes available.

They do have EVA suits with thrusters.

I was in on the beta test and it sucked. The gameplay was so shallow its not even funny. The graphics weren't that great either. Crysis has better graphics. The videos you see from Futuremark have to be touched up because even with the settings maxed out, it looked pretty bad.

It's a neat concept... but they totally didn't do anything with it..

I too was in the Beta. Well said. I even sent a comment saying as it stands, this game isn't worth $20 and will be short lived. There is only so much they could do with it. And I wasn't just being a "troll" to them, just an honest Beta tester's opinion. :)

Ready to play at 10AM PST tomorrow. :)

You and the other four people. Seriously man, the first couple of hours the game was packed. After that, I had a hell of a time "Beta Testing" when servers only had 4 people on them. Thats if you were lucky to get 4.

Back