Future crossfire question

Corban227

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
956
probably in about 7 months or so im going to get a second 5870 (hopefully eyefinity crossfire will be supported then)

would a corsair 650W power supply be good enough for these cards?
core is i5 and not planning on over clocking a lot (maybe just bump core up to 3GHz)
 
probably, but it depends on how much other junk you've got in the case and what else you're adding
 
That would be nearing the limit for the 650W, even without a bunch of junk. I'd definitely suggest something to provide more headroom, at least a 750W or 850W, depending on the "other junk" bob mentioned. The Seasonic 850W modular is on sale for $140... great deal.
 
hmm thx guys,

do you think that buy the time im going to get the second card that they would have these powersupplies for cheaper?
 
hmm thx guys,

do you think that buy the time im going to get the second card that they would have these powersupplies for cheaper?

Maybe if there was a sale or something but more than likely no. PSU prices tends to stay level after their initial introduction. Outside of a sale, the prices for the Corsair 650TX would be around $90 to $100 several months from now, just like 8 months ago.

As for the Seasonic M12D 850W, get it now while it's $140. It's simply one of the best bang for the buck PSUs out now for $140.
 
I think it would be fairly dodgy to run that kit off even a good 650W PSU, I'd shoot for a good 850W or more for a bad PSU brand.
 
I think it would be fairly dodgy to run that kit off even a good 650W PSU, I'd shoot for a good 850W or more for a bad PSU brand.

I wouldn't buy a bad PSU brand even if it was rated for 1kW while I needed 500W. :p No point in wasting your money on unproven PSU's -- get the good stuff for peace of mind.
 
Back
Top