• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Future Car Computing Borrows Tech From Coolest Gaming PCs

Please don't be RGB lighting.

Please don't be RGB lighting.

Please don't be RGB lighting.
123344072_749248765630907_6055061054413136723_n.jpg
 
The vast majority of vehicles are already liquid-cooled, so I can kinda see the logic in this, but I seriously have to ask why they need so much processing power that just having a passively-cooled ECU wouldn't suffice.

Note that I have far more concern about reliability in vehicles, and I have had moments before like belts snapping and rupturing radiator hoses, leading to loss of coolant and risk of overheating had I not gotten to a parking lot in time. Sure was a fun walk in the summer heat to get a radiator hose and some coolant from an auto parts store, then a walk back to install those parts and continue driving home... not.

Now imagine if I also had to worry about my ECU overheating from coolant loss on top of the engine itself potentially overheating to head gasket failure levels if not addressed immediately...
 
The future is already here.

Cars have their own networks that allow everything to communicate with everything.

CarNet is real.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUkFsuilVD0&t=6s

The CAN bus has existed since the 1980s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

That video seems to be just an example of Ford making a poor design decision to include a expensive electronic component in what should be a simple taillight housing (compounded by a mechanical failure/leak). 🤷‍♂️

The vast majority of vehicles are already liquid-cooled, so I can kinda see the logic in this, but I seriously have to ask why they need so much processing power that just having a passively-cooled ECU wouldn't suffice.

Note that I have far more concern about reliability in vehicles, and I have had moments before like belts snapping and rupturing radiator hoses, leading to loss of coolant and risk of overheating had I not gotten to a parking lot in time. Sure was a fun walk in the summer heat to get a radiator hose and some coolant from an auto parts store, then a walk back to install those parts and continue driving home... not.

Now imagine if I also had to worry about my ECU overheating from coolant loss on top of the engine itself potentially overheating to head gasket failure levels if not addressed immediately...
Tons of processing power is going into autonomous driving (who wants cloud-latency issues at 100mph?), as well as all of the 5G+ cellular antennas, and [hopefully] V2V comms that will keep us safe at those speeds. I would also speculate that the increasing use of aero is closing off some areas where previously passive/blow-by-cooled components were/are housed, necessitating more active cooling methods.

Of course, there are no belts to break in an electric water pump, which these would invariably be. And replacing such a pump should be easier (as long as Ford's not engineering it...) than the pump on, say, my brother's 5.3L, which has him considering buying a new truck altogether, given the labor/hassle. 💰

Please don't be RGB lighting.

Please don't be RGB lighting.

Please don't be RGB lighting.
Pimp My Ride predates RGB by many, many sol-cycles. :atongue:

-bZj
 
Tons of processing power is going into autonomous driving (who wants cloud-latency issues at 100mph?), as well as all of the 5G+ cellular antennas, and [hopefully] V2V comms that will keep us safe at those speeds. I would also speculate that the increasing use of aero is closing off some areas where previously passive/blow-by-cooled components were/are housed, necessitating more active cooling methods.

Of course, there are no belts to break in an electric water pump, which these would invariably be. And replacing such a pump should be easier (as long as Ford's not engineering it...) than the pump on, say, my brother's 5.3L, which has him considering buying a new truck altogether, given the labor/hassle. 💰
Autonomous driving would definitely be incentive to have all the processing power possible, though I don't foresee myself having such a vehicle any time soon, both for cost reasons and generally preferring to be the one in control of where I'm going.

My current GX 470 is about as electrically complex as I'd want a vehicle to be, if not a bit moreso because I still have to replace the laughably outdated factory navigation system with a non-nav HVAC control panel and standard double-DIN head units, but it's still a vehicle with no networking whatsoever outside of the CAN bus - no chance of people remotely hacking this thing, no real need for firmware updates that require me to park it on level ground (yes, this is somehow a thing on recent vehicles), just turn the key and go wherever you want. It's modern enough for OBD2 to tell me when something is wrong, and old enough that I don't need dealer-level scan tools for stupid things like reprogramming a battery management controller or worrying about VIN-coded computer modules.

Its water pump is timing belt-driven, and they're usually replaced together every 90K miles - a bit annoying every now and then, but the 2UZ's already had a few proven million-mile examples, as well as the 1UZ it's based on. Just have to be willing to maintain it, hopefully on your own because it's a $1,200+ job at a shop due to the labor hours despite being only $300-ish in parts.

Alas, modern vehicles aren't usually designed with maintenance in mind, just enough longevity to get you past the typical three-year lease period, then trade it in for another - keep paying forever, so to speak. I'm not on board with that - I need something that isn't a rolling example of why right-to-repair legislation needs to exist, especially on a platform that is designed to be taken off-road into remote areas that most roadside assistance trucks can't even get to.
 
Just wait it gets better US congress is in the process of mandating cars come with IR and a few other internal sensors that determine if a driver is asleep or drunk at the wheel. If they fall asleep it needs to take control find a safe place to pull over and dial 911, if they are drunk refuse to start or shift into gear and then inform police non emergency.

I love my 09 B2300 fleet edition, it’s as dumb as a vehicle could get.
 
Last edited:
The CAN bus has existed since the 1980s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

That video seems to be just an example of Ford making a poor design decision to include a expensive electronic component in what should be a simple taillight housing (compounded by a mechanical failure/leak). 🤷‍♂️


Tons of processing power is going into autonomous driving (who wants cloud-latency issues at 100mph?), as well as all of the 5G+ cellular antennas, and [hopefully] V2V comms that will keep us safe at those speeds. I would also speculate that the increasing use of aero is closing off some areas where previously passive/blow-by-cooled components were/are housed, necessitating more active cooling methods.

Of course, there are no belts to break in an electric water pump, which these would invariably be. And replacing such a pump should be easier (as long as Ford's not engineering it...) than the pump on, say, my brother's 5.3L, which has him considering buying a new truck altogether, given the labor/hassle. 💰


Pimp My Ride predates RGB by many, many sol-cycles. :atongue:

-bZj

AI autopilot doesn't need high end PC hardware. Open pilot just uses a phone. https://comma.ai/shop/comma-3x
 
This was a very logical progression. I believe Tesla already has liquid cooled parts (outside of the battery) and I’m sure others do as well.
 
Please don't be RGB lighting.

Please don't be RGB lighting.

Please don't be RGB lighting.
My 2013 Ford C-Max has RGB lighting. Yeah it'a dumb, but I bought it because it got me into the carpool lane and didn't look like a robot and it was cheap (off-lease), not a lot of vehicles fit that criteria, so I also got RGB lighting and a comedically large turning circle.
 
AI autopilot doesn't need high end PC hardware. Open pilot just uses a phone. https://comma.ai/shop/comma-3x
Neat concept, even better that the OS is FOSS/libre - there's way too much proprietary crap in an average car and there seems to only be more and more. Its a pity that it seems only for relatively recent vehicles, though- last 5 year or so depending on model, according to their compatibility page. There are a couple of early/mid 2000's vehicles I'd like to see upgraded with a device like that.
 
AI autopilot doesn't need high end PC hardware. Open pilot just uses a phone. https://comma.ai/shop/comma-3x
I am a Tesla alum, and a supporter of autonomous vehicles... and that thing scares the hell out of me! We have so many steps that need to be taken to get to a good self-driving place (V2V-comms, separate lanes, etc.), that I wouldn't want my cell phone plugging into my car to take over. Loco.

But I support the hustle. 🧑‍🏭 HACK THE PLANET!

This was a very logical progression. I believe Tesla already has liquid cooled parts (outside of the battery) and I’m sure others do as well.
While I was there, nothing outside the running gear was liquid cooled (charger, motor(s), battery). Could be different now, of course. This Continental story is like still years down the road, I think.

-bZj
 
I am a Tesla alum, and a supporter of autonomous vehicles... and that thing scares the hell out of me! We have so many steps that need to be taken to get to a good self-driving place (V2V-comms, separate lanes, etc.), that I wouldn't want my cell phone plugging into my car to take over. Loco.

But I support the hustle. 🧑‍🏭 HACK THE PLANET!


While I was there, nothing outside the running gear was liquid cooled (charger, motor(s), battery). Could be different now, of course. This Continental story is like still years down the road, I think.

-bZj

I mean, it's not your actual phone, it's dedicated hardware, although if you really wanted you could modify the open source code to use your actual phone.

It's safer than the Tesla autopilot because there is camera making sure your eyes look at the road. Actually forcing you to pay attention and not use one of the many tricks you see people doing in Teslas.


But anyways, it would make cars much easier to maintain and upgrade if they just did all the complicated stuff on your phone or a phone like device you can easily swap out. And we already are seeing that to an extent with android auto and apple car play. If real full self driving actually does become a thing your phone will be the only interface to the vehicle and all the climate control, etc. will just know you like it 69 degrees and whatever. I could also see in the far future where battery tech becomes good enough your "phone" is also the power source of the vehicle. But by then we probably won't be carrying phones around it will be part of our body or something.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Down8
like this
Just wait it gets better US congress is in the process of mandating cars come with IR and a few other internal sensors that determine if a driver is asleep or drunk at the wheel. If they fall asleep it needs to take control find a safe place to pull over and dial 911, if they are drunk refuse to start or shift into gear and then inform police non emergency.

I love my 09 B2300 fleet edition, it’s as dumb as a vehicle could get.
I partially dont hate this. The original idea was everyone would have a breathalizer and i hated the thought of extra steps involved, but the amount of drunk drivers on the road is terrifying anymore. In my younger days ive gone through a dui check point drunk as hell and they had no idea.

But the politicians that push this better have it as well.

I do know it will introduce more problems, maybe hot summer day you are a little flushed and it thinks you are drunk, no one will clean the surface of the sensor so either it is programmed to not start if it cant see or always start in which case it self defeats cover it with tape kinda thing.

i dunno, i know something needs done about them but not sure what. But considering in my last car a camry the ABS module had a hiccup and it caused all the lights on the dashboard to just randomly blink, so maybe car makers are not the right people to implement this kinda technology lol.
 
Please don't be RGB lighting.

Please don't be RGB lighting.

Please don't be RGB lighting.
That was my first thought as well when I saw the topic title. I thought: Oh god they are adding RGB lights to cars.

The future is already here.

Cars have their own networks that allow everything to communicate with everything.

CarNet is real.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUkFsuilVD0&t=6s

Car networks are nothing new CANBUS has been around since the 90s. My first car from 1997 already had the system to tell if a bulb was out, even told me which one. That doesn't mean water getting into the headlight should burn out everything. It is simply bad design from who else than Ford?
 
I am a Tesla alum, and a supporter of autonomous vehicles... and that thing scares the hell out of me! We have so many steps that need to be taken to get to a good self-driving place (V2V-comms, separate lanes, etc.), that I wouldn't want my cell phone plugging into my car to take over. Loco.

But I support the hustle. 🧑‍🏭 HACK THE PLANET!


While I was there, nothing outside the running gear was liquid cooled (charger, motor(s), battery). Could be different now, of course. This Continental story is like still years down the road, I think.

-bZj
I had to go back and double check but it looks like HW3 and maybe even HW4 are both liquid cooled.
 
It's safer than the Tesla autopilot because there is camera making sure your eyes look at the road. Actually forcing you to pay attention and not use one of the many tricks you see people doing in Teslas.


But anyways, it would make cars much easier to maintain and upgrade if they just did all the complicated stuff on your phone or a phone like device you can easily swap out. And we already are seeing that to an extent with android auto and apple car play. If real full self driving actually does become a thing your phone will be the only interface to the vehicle and all the climate control, etc. will just know you like it 69 degrees and whatever. I could also see in the far future where battery tech becomes good enough your "phone" is also the power source of the vehicle. But by then we probably won't be carrying phones around it will be part of our body or something.
https://www.google.com/search?q=does+tesla+have+a+driver+facing+camera

Tesla's (and many other cars) have interior cameras for the same purpose. The temperature-thing is nice, like Nest that follows you in any car. However, most of these "tech-forward" vehicles are adding screens for interaction, not taking them away (reducing the interface to your phone). Re: energy, it'll all be wireless, so neither the phone nor the car will have much of a power source. (The better to keep you locked in & traceable/chargeable.... ;) )

I partially dont hate this. The original idea was everyone would have a breathalizer and i hated the thought of extra steps involved, but the amount of drunk drivers on the road is terrifying anymore.
...
i dunno, i know something needs done about them but not sure what. But considering in my last car a camry the ABS module had a hiccup and it caused all the lights on the dashboard to just randomly blink, so maybe car makers are not the right people to implement this kinda technology lol.
Screenshot 2023-09-25 223807.png


DUI incidents look net-down, with a recent bump/wobble, likely attributable to pandemic issues. Though the newest data being noticeably above trend is something to monitor. (Disclaimer: these are quick & dirty stats pulled from Google, so possibly erroneous.)

I had to go back and double check but it looks like HW3 and maybe even HW4 are both liquid cooled.
That is pretty cool. Makes sense with all the self-driving they're doing these days (we had just launched the original self-driving hardware when I left.

-bZj
 
Back
Top