Fury - a sleeper hit prediction...

The Red

[H]ard|Gawd
So... my friends are playing this game like crack addicts and I have never even heard of it... I come over to their dorm and they wont even let me try it out... bastards. I know, I'm making a prediction and I havn't even got to play the game... but I saw how my friends reacted and this thing is addicting as hell with its reward and loot system. I didnt get to play but it was very fun to even just watch.

I predict this will be an enormous sleeper hit...

their main site is: http://www.unleashthefury.com/

The game was JUST released and some sites have first impressions, amongst them is a site I respect the most, Ten Ton Hammer... being outside of the IGN network its actually trustworthy. Their first impressions are here: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/13562

And they are positively glowing, and knowing the reviewer... this is not an understatement.

I'm going to buy it tomorrow @ retail after seeing my friends play their downloaded versions...

Does anyone else here play and maybe able to review it?

Its really a sin, its pulling me from Quake Wars which I love...

Boo MMOs.

Constructive post...

Anyways, I played the Fury beta for a bit about a month ago. I thought it had a lot of potential but the way it performed made it really hard to get into it. I heard they did a major overhaul on the game though and it's much better so I want to give it a try.

I would not call this a straight up MMO... its indescribable... its like it has the elements I like from

UT2k4 (multilayer action)

EQ (rare, effective and worthwhile distinctive itemization from armor to weapons and jewelry)

Dark Messiah (game setting, external textures, and landscaping)

UT3 (the graphics, minus the avatars leave a genuinine impression of serious skill and thought)

Vanguard (the crafting is interesting, but I only seen a limited amount of this as NPCs are the ones who craft FOR you based on the ingredients you find and your wants and needs)

Hellgate (the options of effective and balanced melee and ranged layouts)

BF2 (the feeling of massive warfare can be accomplished with 64 player warzones)

Quake Wars (appropriate pace that evolves with your layout and not forcing you into run-and-gun if you decide to become a non-assault class)

I can go on... the only thing i'm not 100% on is the crafting, i didnt pick it up while they were paying NPCs to make them armors that came up randomly good and bad, but it didnt cost a fortune to have the NPC try...

Wow... it sounds interesting to say the least from their site... I may pick this up to try :eek: !

NO. Uses the same system Dungeon Runners and Hellgate: London use. If you do subscribe, it's $10 a month. You get priorty log on queueing and VOIP. I think something else, too. But, as far as what kind of gear/abilities you get - there is no difference. Non-paying people are on the same footing as paying people competition wise.

It is a great game, been playing it through beta, and have the full version not that it is live. For those that had performance issues in beta, much of that has been fixed. It still helps to have a decent machine, but it runs great on the machine in my sig.

The combat is way more fast paced than your normal MMO. It has the strategy and moves of the normal MMO's, but combat moves at the speed of a FPS.

It is also different from a normal MMO in the fact that there is no level grind. You have to grind PvP to gain your skills, but there is also the option of purchasing all the skills with UAA.

i'm really interested in this game, i need something new to play after i canceled my hellgate preorder. i think i'll wait for some reviews first though.

actualy right now its a laggy mess as more and more people pour on to the only open server ... and they turned off the auction house after some monetary bugs :p .. and I keep crashing on exactly every other match and then it wont let me come back in..

opening the mail (where your item rewards come) takes forever, and so does retrieving anything out of it... so much server lag its crazy, but it probably has to do with such a high volume and my distance from the server...

Now that i've made my own character it is time for some serious critisizm... The biggest thing I would criticize is a MAJOR lack of customization for looks... your hair color just switches shades between blond and dark red, I mean seriously, you cant even get black hair. The only thing on your body you can physically customize is which head you'll be using.. 75% of the heads are asian, while the later 25% look like caricatures of "big-eyed" people (not anime big-eyed, but how the east exaggerates big-eyed westerners). You get to choose skin color, but no height, girth, facial features, extremedy dimensions... etc... You get to choose from haircuts where they ALL look bad, they even managed to screw up the bald look...

This is made up for by the fact that after a few days of playing you'll all just look like ghetto-samurais with miss-matching armor pieces and colors like you were in a gay pride parade...

So many things have changed in the last patch that you mind as well toss your paper manual. The game begins with an lacking tutorial and confusing instructions... but whats worse is you'll find they exaggerate simple instructions and simply dont list the complex ones... so it seems like they're treating you like a retard...

I want to be critical of the fact that weapon attacks are made with the hotbar, and you cant just click on an enemy to attack. The targeting system is confusing and player movement erratic.

The chat window is absolutely terribly small with no way to expand it that I found... people choose to chat in the [Help] channel because it makes their text yellow, instead of the general chat of white, which is annoying as all hell.

There are no instructions on how to repair any of your armor, or how to make groups or how to navigate through the instances. The LFG system is automated where it just puts you on a waiting list and you dont even see who you go in to play with... no way to be selective when deciding to play with players you know you cant tolerate...

These are my first impressions after about 6 hours of hands-on... this thing has a learning curve thats going to throw a lot of ppl...

Game play is engaging, but a little more complicated than it needs to be... you have to know hot-bar combos and what buffs you have and how you use them... it is grossly complicated from the get-go, and if you dont have your wits about you, you'll get your ass handed to you...

So it's another one of those "press 1 - 9, -/+" games?

yes, the hotbar works that way. you gain access to another hotbar by holding alt if you wish.

I have since figured out how to increase the chat window size, but it took forever to find a merchant to whom to sell my spoils to...

The sheer amount of people from beta that "pwn" new people is a little disturbing, but I expect it to get better eventually... just that right now, the gaps between the top 2 ppl in a match and the rest are frightening..

In all honesty, after playing for a longer while now, I'm starting to like the game a little less...

The chat window is absolutely terribly small with no way to expand it that I found... people choose to chat in the [Help] channel because it makes their text yellow, instead of the general chat of white, which is annoying as all hell.

Hold shift to resize your chat window. The instructions are horrible, you have to figure out many things on your own.

The lag is very bad in the main area, their severs can't handle the amount of people playing. Once you get into a warzone, there isn't much lag, at least for me.

I had the crashing problem, but just uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and it works fine now.

yes, the hotbar works that way. you gain access to another hotbar by holding alt if you wish.

I have since figured out how to increase the chat window size, but it took forever to find a merchant to whom to sell my spoils to...

The sheer amount of people from beta that "pwn" new people is a little disturbing, but I expect it to get better eventually... just that right now, the gaps between the top 2 ppl in a match and the rest are frightening..

In all honesty, after playing for a longer while now, I'm starting to like the game a little less...

Give the game some time. It is very overwealming at first, and you will get pwned often, but once you learn what you are doing, it is a lot of fun. There game is well balanced, so the most experienced and most organized teams will win.

So it's skill-based vice uber gear-based PVP?

Yes, it is skill based, the gear doesn't have that much effect on your play. It does help to have better gear, but nothing like wow. To get the better gear, all you have to do is have the artificiers make it for you. Works like a slot machine, put money in, hope good gear pops out.

Give the game some time. It is very overwealming at first, and you will get pwned often, but once you learn what you are doing, it is a lot of fun. There game is well balanced, so the most experienced and most organized teams will win.

The longer I'm playing, the less I'm liking the game now... it seems less strategy and more "whats the cheapest way I can kill that guy?" ... Like people who wait on 2 ppl who are dueling, while they are near death, the guys come in and wipe both out... or people who just run backwards and shoot the magic darts, or worse, shoot the darts at you while you're dueling someone else, causing you to lose... man, nothing makes me more angry...

If I end up doing a 180 on this title, its up for sale if anyone will be interested...

The longer I'm playing, the less I'm liking the game now... it seems less strategy and more "whats the cheapest way I can kill that guy?" ... Like people who wait on 2 ppl who are dueling, while they are near death, the guys come in and wipe both out... or people who just run backwards and shoot the magic darts, or worse, shoot the darts at you while you're dueling someone else, causing you to lose... man, nothing makes me more angry...

If I end up doing a 180 on this title, its up for sale if anyone will be interested...

Is it FFA? Or are you on teams? I can imagine guildwars would be the exact same if you weren't in a group/on teams/alliances.

Is it FFA? Or are you on teams? I can imagine guildwars would be the exact same if you weren't in a group/on teams/alliances.

You can play either, and it seems the same in both situations... there are so many abilities that it is far too difficult and too long to figure them all out unless you really dedicate the time... and unless you do that, dont expect to win over the people who know how to best exploit abilities from any of the 4 schools... this game is going to take a lot, A LOT of time to learn...

I was interested until I read the official forums. I might try it in a few months when the devs don't recommend "playing some good music" instead of enabling the sound in the game(aka it doesn't work).

Played the beta earlier this year, it was fun the first few weeks, but then I did not bother logging in anymore after that since the gameplay was extremely repetitive, while there were 3 different game modes but there's not much involved other than mash 1-9 keys until someone dies.

That is only in Bloodbath, I don't like that game much, it is ok. That kind of stuff doesn't happen in the other two gametypes.

There is a lot more to the game then mashing a few buttons, although you have to be quick on them. You have to decide which of the many skills you take to battle, you can take any skill in the game at any given time. You have to work well with your team and work up a good strategy. I have seen several good strategies in the game already. With the many skills to combine, stategies have been varying quite a lot, no FOTM. You also have to know what skills to use at what time.

I've had enough, my friends love it, but I cant seem to get into it... its the pure PvP thing, I play MMOs as a daily-frustration release and this is a game more for the hack-and-blast action-seeker MMO player... and Gamestop are bastards that dont do refunds on games... so, I'm selling my copy... I got good heatware under this name, and good e-bay under black_iria.

$45 shipped, also saves you shipping and/or tax + 3 days worth of grind on a Destroyer / Warden / Invoker combo if you choose to continue the free account instead of making a new toon.

I'm sending a msg to ppl in the thread that said they wanted to try it.

They fixed the lag issue. This was the biggest issue with the game so far. It is running great now.

They fixed the lag issue. This was the biggest issue with the game so far. It is running great now.

Yea, I noticed its gotten faster, but that does not change the fact that I cant enjoy myself while playing it... I dont have the patience to learn 10 decks worth of Magic the Gathering on the Unreal Tournament 3 engine being played at a UT3 pace... feels too much like work and does not fit my personality... atleast this game will be DX10... or is it already? .. I didnt catch when they said the patch will be out...

if you got a friend who wants a copy for cheaper than retail, just send em to me

Yea, I noticed its gotten faster, but that does not change the fact that I cant enjoy myself while playing it... I dont have the patience to learn 10 decks worth of Magic the Gathering on the Unreal Tournament 3 engine being played at a UT3 pace... feels too much like work and does not fit my personality... atleast this game will be DX10... or is it already? .. I didnt catch when they said the patch will be out...

if you got a friend who wants a copy for cheaper than retail, just send em to me

That is a good description of the game, and is exactly why I love it. If I find anyone that wants the game, I'll let you know.

sold to ruffz ... ya'll can stop peppering me with PMs now :)

I need to get my hands on a new mmo with PvE, and an end-game (raiding) ... can anyone drop me some hints on upcoming titles? I'd love if it involved FPS elements but not necessary.

(and no, I am already a Tabula Rasa beta tester)

back to my beloved QuakeWars... and waiting for the day Huxley is released :)

Has anyone picked this one up yet? I purchased/downloaded it last night and spent a few hours playing but was pretty overwhelmed.

I need to get my hands on a new mmo with PvE, and an end-game (raiding) ... can anyone drop me some hints on upcoming titles? I'd love if it involved FPS elements but not necessary.

they're a few months away, but warhammer online and age of conan will probably be epic. hellgate london is the only one with FPS elements i can think of, but after playing the beta all i have to say about that game is "do not want" ;)

Back