Full Self-Driving Hardware On All Teslas

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tesla showed off the full self-driving capabilities of its cars in this video. Other than turning in the wrong lane (2:27) and not being able to negotiate lane boundaries (3:05), the car did a pretty good job driving itself around.

Impressive.

Though I do have a CDL class A license, I'd trust this car over most drivers, especially in Los Angeles.

This sort of technology is going to put a lot of professional drivers out of business. But I can only assume that the streets with be over all more safe. Until Johnny Cab comes around.

599566-8b1b042c3604a5014790b8b65e217607.jpg

So for this to actually work, the GPS actually has to be accurate AND the lines have to be visible on the street?

So what happens when you have road construction where there aren't lines or you are on a crappy road where they need to repaint the line or you are somewhere where the GPS hasn't a clue about anything?

Does it make the person in the driver's seat take over in these situations?

Still impressive, but I don't see a huge adoption of this sort of thing anytime soon as a lot of other stuff would probably need to change first.

The self driving tech nvidia demo'd can go anywhere, don't think it needs gps.

That car will fail driving around Chicago-land especially trying to get on and off the expressways.

So for this to actually work, the GPS actually has to be accurate AND the lines have to be visible on the street?

So what happens when you have road construction where there aren't lines or you are on a crappy road where they need to repaint the line or you are somewhere where the GPS hasn't a clue about anything?

Does it make the person in the driver's seat take over in these situations?

Still impressive, but I don't see a huge adoption of this sort of thing anytime soon as a lot of other stuff would probably need to change first.

Cases like that are why it still has a steering wheel and can still be controlled by a person. Just because autonomous vehicles can't handle absolutely every situation perfectly right out of the gate is no reason not to pursue them. If the technology is "good enough" to get 90% of the population safely from their door to their place of work under 90% of normal road conditions I think people will happily adopt it. I don't see the type of autonomous cars that Google wants (no control surfaces for the occupants of the vehicle) being acceptable for some time to come. I applaud Tesla for being so aggressive with the technology but they need to put an equal amount of aggressiveness into educating people how to properly use the features.

The self driving tech nvidia demo'd can go anywhere, don't think it needs gps.
But Nvidia's self driving technology requires DriveWorks, which only works on Nvidia cars. It will also sometimes display creepy skeletons on the screen for no reason.

Cases like that are why it still has a steering wheel and can still be controlled by a person. Just because autonomous vehicles can't handle absolutely every situation perfectly right out of the gate is no reason not to pursue them. If the technology is "good enough" to get 90% of the population safely from their door to their place of work under 90% of normal road conditions I think people will happily adopt it. I don't see the type of autonomous cars that Google wants (no control surfaces for the occupants of the vehicle) being acceptable for some time to come. I applaud Tesla for being so aggressive with the technology but they need to put an equal amount of aggressiveness into educating people how to properly use the features.

But what happens when the owners of the "self-driving" cars need the owner to take over when the owner will by the time these are a big thing will have almost no driving experience whatsoever?

If something like this becomes big, I see us needing something like a required percentage of the driving being done by the owner in order to keep their skills up so they don't act like new, incompetent, driver every single time they have to take over for the car.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
But what happens when the owners of the "self-driving" cars need the owner to take over when the owner will by the time these are a big thing will have almost no driving experience whatsoever?

If something like this becomes big, I see us needing something like a required percentage of the driving being done by the owner in order to keep their skills up so they don't act like new, incompetent, driver every single time they have to take over for the car.

By the time self driving cars get that big pretty much all of the common big issues will be worked out, making it work 99.9% of the time. The remaining 0.1% will most likely have the person dictate where they want the car to go, and it goes there. Those situations will also be situations without other cars, so no one would be bothered by someone trying to figure out how to manuever the car.

Considering how bad a fairly large portion of drivers are(at least in my area), I'd say 50% of them already have no skills and act like incompetent new drivers every single time they're on the road. If drivers license testing(and periodic re-testing) requirements were actually worth a damn(and they aren't in California), I doubt 1/3 of the people on the road currently could retain their DL without some serious time spent in training/drivers-ed classes.

I think of it a lot like spell check. Better than 90% of the time, it seems to work for me. The other 10% I just consider a fatality and move on. Without spell check, I'm probably about 50% to 60% fatalities.

In 10 years Tesla's autopilot or one like it will be the standard by which human drivers are judged and not the other way around. You'll have to score at least 75% as good as a Tesla to get a full driver's license, or else you'll be required to have autopilot on to travel at more than 20 MPH.

That demo was super impressive. I enjoy driving sometimes, but I can see myself using this feature on those frustratingly slow commutes.

The complete lack of jump cuts makes me 100% assured they didn't cherry pick when it worked well.

What's the point, you still have to keep your hands next to the wheel, and he looked pretty uptight thinking about nannying the car the whole time. Oh, when is it going to flip out and run a light! Crap, it didn't brake when I would have braked! Better check my blindspot!

Anyway, it's cool. I'm sure as time goes on people will learn to let cars drive us. But nothin is drivin me, I drive my damn self. I've always had a manual though, and some power behind it, so I enjoy driving.

I agree to a point, but how much of the population has to drive in bad road conditions 8 months out of the year? It's really a whole lot of the country for a whole lot of every year. These cars can't handle ice, snow, rain, etc. So how much value are you really getting acrossed these parts of the country? I'm just saying. If you live in San Diego I can see this as a great development, Minneapolis, Denver, Seatle and Boston, not so much.

That demo was super impressive. I enjoy driving sometimes, but I can see myself using this feature on those frustratingly slow commutes.

I don't know, you still have to hold your hands near the wheel etc. At least manipulating the controls gives you something to do. Seems like it would be even more boring if you are actually going to pay any attention at all to what the car is doing.

By the time self driving cars get that big pretty much all of the common big issues will be worked out, making it work 99.9% of the time. The remaining 0.1% will most likely have the person dictate where they want the car to go, and it goes there. Those situations will also be situations without other cars, so no one would be bothered by someone trying to figure out how to manuever the car.

Simple speech commands still don't work most of the time on a cell phone or computer... so what is going to change in such a huge way that a car will be able to interpret " AHHHHHHHH $&$%*(&^(&$^^ semi #(&#^%^#( " and know what to do? Plus even if it does get it right, it is going to still be a lot quicker for the person to control than the computer to interpret and then control.

Scariest part IMO is leaving that driveway at the beginning of the video, an obvious "blindish" spot to the left, with a car parked on the street, I wonder how it knew it was clear.

That said I recognize exactly where he's going, the freeway exit is the same one I take when I go to Fry's in Palo Alto :D

Considering how bad a fairly large portion of drivers are(at least in my area), I'd say 50% of them already have no skills and act like incompetent new drivers every single time they're on the road. If drivers license testing(and periodic re-testing) requirements were actually worth a damn(and they aren't in California), I doubt 1/3 of the people on the road currently could retain their DL without some serious time spent in training/drivers-ed classes.

I am 100% in agreement that the DL requirements should be about 100x higher than they are in the US. Regular retesting should be a requirement as well.

It would cut down on the idiots on the road significantly.

When you can take a 5 minute drive around the block and pay about $25 to get your license, something is seriously wrong.

Simple speech commands still don't work most of the time on a cell phone or computer... so what is going to change in such a huge way that a car will be able to interpret " AHHHHHHHH $&$%*(&^(&$^^ semi #(&#^%^#( " and know what to do? Plus even if it does get it right, it is going to still be a lot quicker for the person to control than the computer to interpret and then control.

I was imagining more of a screen that shows where the car is and what is around, and the person traces the path that he/she wants the car to take on the screen.

I cant wait. I live close to work but I would not mind at all getting "chauffeured" to work every day. Bring it on Tesla, cant wait for my model 3.

I cant wait. I live close to work but I would not mind at all getting "chauffeured" to work every day. Bring it on Tesla, cant wait for my model 3.

I still don't know.

Anyone else get a bad feeling from that video, like "what the fuck is this car going to do next?" feeling?

Look, I think I would be OK if I didn't have to pay attention to what the car is doing and what's going on. But sitting there watching everything without doing anything seems nail biting to me, like riding in the front seat with your uncle driving and he's an aggressive someofbitch and you are just along for the ride. That's sort of the feeling I got. I know the video was sped up a little to keep it from being boring but when I actually try and put myself in that driver's seat it looks like it would be either boring as hell or scarier than hell.

What I don't get is an enjoyable driving experience and I am wondering if all of this is just one of those things that sounds good and turns out bad.

Maybe when it reaches the point I don't have to pay attention I can loose myself in other things, until I am not so sure.

Self driving cars can't happen soon enough. Driving would go from the most dangerous form of transportation to the safest... but only assuming it was mandatory.

Self driving cars can't happen soon enough. Driving would go from the most dangerous form of transportation to the safest... but only assuming it was mandatory.

Not soon enough might be a very long time in the future. They are rushing this thing way too much. It's not the media who's going to be killing people, it's the people who are pushing too hard for this while ignoring blatantly obvious obstacles. It's been two days since I posted that these cars can't navigate hazardous road conditions. I know a driver can take over or just drive himself but as was pointed out earlier, driving is a perishable skill.

Back