Full 4k/60Hz HTPC

Phyltre

Limp Gawd
Am I reading correctly that there is not yet an easy way to do single-cable 4k/60FPS into a home theater environment? I have pre-ordered one of the new Sony 4K XBR sets and was hoping to have a solution set up by whenever it arrives in June, but I don't think DP is an option since I don't think either the AVR or TV would have it. Currently I have a laptop connected to the existing TV via HDMI...it sounds a little silly on its face that even a beefy desktop won't work for the new TV. Is there such a thing as a DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter, and if so, would it carry audio properly?

You are correct, there is no way to hit 60Hz @ 4K on these sets currently.

It is extremely annoying that GPU tech is lagging behind :( Not even the $3000 Titan Z has an HDMI 2.0 port. I'd love to get 60 Hz on my 4K Samsung TV.

Vendors sure do seem to be slow with new connectors and formats lately. It's taken USB 3.0 years to even start getting widespread and my S5 turns off cellular data when used in USB3 mode, so it's not even worth it. I bought my first USB3 devices back in 2010!

Guess I'll be relying on upsampling for awhile. I just think that's its absolutely hilarious, given how far behind TVs have been in relation to computers, that my new TV is going to have a connector I genuinely can't get for a computer yet.

I'm just hearing uncomfortable silence from all the people who, for the last ten years, have been going "PSHSHH 120Hz on a TV?! That's fake frame interpolation! TVs can't even handle what these computers can do!" Of course, I'm included in that somewhat. And it's true that DP can handle 4k/60. Although, being perfectly honest, good luck getting that running with a cable length of more than 6 feet. I had to rearrange my desk to bring the tower in closer just to be able to keep my monitor from bugging out and losing connection. And no, it wasn't just the cable, I tried THREE different brands of 10-12 foot cable and none of them would do 4k at 60Hz.

Last edited:
Seiki has announced TVs for Q1 2015 that will have DP 1.3 built in, but so far no movement on either a DP-HDMI 2.0 adapter, receivers that will have DP 1.3, or graphics cards with HDMI 2.0.

My Yamaha receiver and Sony TV continue to have no solutions on the horizon that I am aware of.

The RX-A3040 receiver (with actual HDMI 2.0 support) has now entered into general availability, still no sign of a card or adapter that will get me HDMI 2.0 to my TV from a computer. :(

There are quite a few receivers coming out in the next few months with HDMI 2.0. I have my eye on the Marantz SR7009. I am hoping that will be worth keeping for a good 5-6 years at least.

I wish some video cards or motherboards would start utilizing Displayport 1.3 or HDMI 2.0 for 4K but I am holding out to see what Dolby Vision tech brings to TV's in the next 8 - 10 months before I start down my upgrade journey.

Anyone else feel like we have been in a holding pattern for the past year??

So, as the planet now knows, the GTX 970/980 series and compatible TVs/Receivers makes the dream possible. I can confirm that my setup is (at least reporting) 4K/60Hz/4:4:4.

Currently I am running HDMI straight from the HTPC to the TV and relying on the ARC circuit for audio to hit the receiver. Is it worth trying to pass the signal through the receiver rather than straight to the TV? Or is ARC generally good enough these days to ignore that?

So, as the planet now knows, the GTX 970/980 series and compatible TVs/Receivers makes the dream possible. I can confirm that my setup is (at least reporting) 4K/60Hz/4:4:4.

Currently I am running HDMI straight from the HTPC to the TV and relying on the ARC circuit for audio to hit the receiver. Is it worth trying to pass the signal through the receiver rather than straight to the TV? Or is ARC generally good enough these days to ignore that?

ARC is just fine. You should only plug in to your receiver if it also supports HDMI 2.0, which not all do.

Guess I'll be relying on upsampling for awhile. I just think that's its absolutely hilarious, given how far behind TVs have been in relation to computers, that my new TV is going to have a connector I genuinely can't get for a computer yet.
That's mostly because the PC already has multiple display interfaces that are superior to HDMI 2.0.

I'm just hearing uncomfortable silence from all the people who, for the last ten years, have been going "PSHSHH 120Hz on a TV?! That's fake frame interpolation! TVs can't even handle what these computers can do!"
That's still a very real problem. Just got a brand no 50" 3D TV, and it refuses to accept an input signal over 60Hz.

The panel itself runs at 240Hz, and optionally generates "tween" frames internally (with significant delay added). Still far from proper 120Hz support, though :(

Back