FTP Help. PM me, I'll pay you!

Checking account: 1234567
Routing Number: 8910111213

Send money immediately....

Seriously just ask your question. Or is it a private/personal question?

ok I'm having a heck of an issue. Here is the deal. I have a server set up for FTP. I can access and log into the FTP server on my network, but cannot log into it from teh outside net. My ISP does not block port 21 and I have port forwarding set up in my router to point to the server running the FTP services. What am I missing? I'm behind a Win2K3 server that is my internet gateway.

So here is my set up. My Win2K3 Server has my public IP of 199.199.129.82, from there it hands out IP addresses to my network. My Win2K3 server is also my internal DHCP server, it's scope is 10.0.0.10 - 10.0.0.254. I'm currently behind a router that is getting 10.0.0.47, but the router is also set up as a DHCP server and is handing out IP addresses of 192.168.X.XXX.

Thoughts on my possible issue?

If you are trying to access your FTP server behind your firewall from a computer behind the same firewall sometimes routers will just prevent it from happening. Have a friend try it if this is the case.

Are you running the FTP server on the gateway server? I've had issues with port forwarding on Windows 2k3 as a gateway, so I would try just having the FTP server on the gateway server.

Post your FTP connection log. Sometimes you have to forward additional ports (passive mode).

If you are trying to access your FTP server behind your firewall from a computer behind the same firewall sometimes routers will just prevent it from happening. Have a friend try it if this is the case.

I have tried this. The friend cannot connect, but I can.

Are you running the FTP server on the gateway server? I've had issues with port forwarding on Windows 2k3 as a gateway, so I would try just having the FTP server on the gateway server.

I've tried running the FTP Server on the Gateway machine, still same issue.

Most of the time you will need to configure passive mode. Do what he said... ;)

I have passive mode configured with the passive mode ports forwarded as well.

try a port other then 21. a high range port like

55555 or something.

can people ping your external IP address?

try a port other then 21. a high range port like

55555 or something.

can people ping your external IP address?

What FTP server software are you using?

Here is another issue. No one can ping my IP address. I obviously can, but my "public" IP that I'm getting from my ISP is not able to be pinged. I'm using Surv U FTP Server.

My IP address needs to be able to be pinged correct?

Nope, it doesn't need to be pingable. Case in point - mine isn't.

I don't know about Serv-U, but are you redirecting your passive IP to your public IP? I have to do that with my FTP server.

Isnt he double NAT'ing ?

So your Internet connection goes like this...

Internet -> [in] Win2k3 [out]-> [in] router [out]-> computers

199.199.129.82 -> 10.0.0.10 -> 10.0.0.47 -> 192.168.x.x

you have port forwarding enabled on the router...do you have routing enabled and configured on the Win2k3 machine as well?
Im guessing the connection isnt making it through the Win2k3 machine.....

(wouldnt it be easier to have it Internet->Router (not doing DHCP) ->server (doing DHCP) -> computers)

Isnt he double NAT'ing ?

So your Internet connection goes like this...

Internet -> [in] Win2k3 [out]-> [in] router [out]-> computers

199.199.129.82 -> 10.0.0.10 -> 10.0.0.47 -> 192.168.x.x

you have port forwarding enabled on the router...do you have routing enabled and configured on the Win2k3 machine as well?
Im guessing the connection isnt making it through the Win2k3 machine.....

(wouldnt it be easier to have it Internet->Router (not doing DHCP) ->server (doing DHCP) -> computers)

I'm going 199.199.129.82 -> 10.0.0.1-> 10.0.0.47 (router is getting this IP) -> 192.168.1.1 then to my computers, correct.

I think what my issue is that I need to set up a static route on my Win2k3 server basically pointing all traffic on 21 over to 10.0.0.47 (router IP coming from Win2k3 server) and then from there I have port forwarding set up on the router.

Question is, what does the static route on the Win2k3 server need to look like?

No idea....but double NAT'ing makes things alot harder...why not just use the router as a gateway device with a static IP..then have the 2003 server give out DNS, DHCP and Gateway/subnet info

|---------------server doing dhcp
Internet --- router ---|
|---------------computer 1
|---------------computer 2

No idea....but double NAT'ing makes things alot harder...why not just use the router as a gateway device with a static IP..then have the 2003 server give out DNS, DHCP and Gateway/subnet info

Internet --- router ---|
|---------------computer 3

Internet --- router ---|

Well. Technically it's only single Nat'ing, It's a unique situation.

Back