FTP backup input, please!

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
Hello,
at work, we have a FTP server to service files we distribute to our clients.

We only have one FTP server (a Dell R310, iirc)., that is hosted locally in our lab (in Florida, using Brighthouse Business ISP).

In the event of a failure, we need a backup solution.

I thought of buying another R310, but they don't come cheap, and our CEO would like something cheaper...

Would a decent NAS do? One with FTP server built in, preferably?

We'll be using this to backup and host files anywhere from 10KB (license files) to 1GB+ (large files... I only mantain the hardware!!).

The backup is only to be used for 3-4 days (I think) max, in case if the primary server fails, and we need to go out any buy a new one. The backup serevr will be on an entirely different address.

I am partial to windows server setups, consumer NAS solutions, anything!

It needs to:

backup files automatically from another server (using any method)
host as a FTP server
have multiple user accounts, with folder permissions.

We have the server setup so each user only has their own folder.

I'm wondering if this can be done below 300usd?

Please let me know of other suggestions! :)

Thank you,
-Jeremy

Last edited:
Where is your website hosted? They normally give several FTP accounts for you to use. How large are the files you transfer?

Where is your website hosted? They normally give several FTP accounts for you to use. How large are the files you transfer?

I'll add that info into the OP, thank you! :)

We only have one FTP server (a Dell R310, iirc)., that is hosted locally in our lab (in Florida, using Brighthouse Business ISP

What the answer to k1pp3r second question? ;)

oops! Thank you! I'll also edit this into the OP.

anywhere from 10KB (license files) to 1GB+ (large files... I only mantain the hardware!!).

The backup is only to be used for 3-4 days (I think) max, in case if the primary server fails, and we need to go out any buy a new one. The backup serevr will be on an entirely different address.

I am partial to windows server setups (first), consumer NAS solutions, anything!

It needs to:

backup files automatically from another server (using any method)
host as a FTP server
have multiple user accounts, with folder permissions.

We have the server setup so each user only has their own folder.

maybe look into a synology NAS? it's basically a small cheap linux server with a pretty gui. Look into doing rsync backups off your windows server onto the NAS or something.

maybe look into a synology NAS? it's basically a small cheap linux server with a pretty gui. Look into doing rsync backups off your windows server onto the NAS or something.
Synology? I'll look into that, thank you!
Are you using an FTP site for an offsite backup solution?

The (current) FTP site is onsite, for client file access. I am looking for a (new) FTP server to serve as a backup to our existing FTP server.

Back