FTL: Faster Than Light

I keep getting cocky and then I make some dumb-ass move and my crew just dies.

How are you supposed to stop the AI on the other ship from running to the infirmary and healing? Or do I just need to blow up the infirmary with a bomb?

And is there any point in getting drones?

I keep getting cocky and then I make some dumb-ass move and my crew just dies.

How are you supposed to stop the AI on the other ship from running to the infirmary and healing? Or do I just need to blow up the infirmary with a bomb?

And is there any point in getting drones?

The hull repair drone is very useful if you have a lot of drones compared to repairing.

Some events can do hull damage though, so if your ship is already low then I believe it can blow up from it happening.

That's exactly what happened to me. My hull was in the red. Hence why it was a dumbass decision to try to dock with a space station on the verge of destruction.

Ugh this is a pain my ship is stuck in a time loop.
At least I am getting the hang of the game now.

Question: If I sit my ship in an asteroid field after beating a baddie, letting asteroids hit and damage my shields, will my shield operator level up? Or must it be vs enemy fire?

Question: If I sit my ship in an asteroid field after beating a baddie, letting asteroids hit and damage my shields, will my shield operator level up? Or must it be vs enemy fire?

yea it does, you can also get the 'tough little ship' achievment this way if you shut down your shields and warp out in time.

I didn't think asteroids after the combat was over gave you experience.

Upgrade your shields early, then when you find an enemy with weak weapons, like a laser I and a beam weapon, you can just sit there while your dodge and shield skills increase. If you also have a weak weapon like laser 1 or ion, leave it on and turn the others off and let the battle go automatic and rack up experience.

Is the enemy fleet movement a galaxy-wide activity or does it get reset for every sector? I'm wondering if I can rush through the earlier sectors in order to spend more time in the later ones.

Is the enemy fleet movement a galaxy-wide activity or does it get reset for every sector? I'm wondering if I can rush through the earlier sectors in order to spend more time in the later ones.

You don't want to do that. When you go from one sector to another, the enemy difficulty ramps pretty quickly, and if you don't gather scrap early and upgrade accordingly, you're screwed.

Bump. So I picked up FTL in the Steam Summer Sale because it was just $2.50 and why not. I figured it would go in the queue along with dozens of other games I'll never play. Decided last Sunday afternoon to fire it up for a minute just so I could say I'd launched it at least once...

7 hours later I had to peel myself away to go to sleep! Surprisingly addictive and truly interesting game! I love the retro space feel and the randomization that makes it different for each play-through. I've only played it on easy so far, and still haven't been able to beat the game yet. But I can see putting a good bit more time into this one before I feel like I've seen all there is to it.

Really wish there was an Android version of this game - seems like it'd lend itself really well to the mobile platform. I want to play it on my phone!

I don't believe so, I've still unlocked achievements with the Disabled Fleet. I think I already had all the ships except the crystal one when I did it though.

holy fuck thank you slippery! I had no idea about that mod.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Question: If I sit my ship in an asteroid field after beating a baddie, letting asteroids hit and damage my shields, will my shield operator level up?

Yup. I do that on most playthroughs if I find an asteroid field early.

I need to get this Python software to get that Mod Manager to work? I extracted the Mod Manager into the FTL area nice and neat but it says it wants that.

How do I get this all working right?

Last edited:
I need to get this Python software to get that Mod Manager to work? I extracted the Mod Manager into the FTL area nice and neat but it says it wants that.

I don't think you can get around the Python requirement since the mod manager is programed in it.

Once Python is installed, run the mod manager using main.py. I can't get the mod manager's exe to work, perhaps because I'm using the latest version of Python. Main.py works fine though and should be the same as running the exe.

I don't think you can get around the Python requirement since the mod manager is programed in it.

Once Python is installed, run the mod manager using main.py. I can't get the mod manager's exe to work, perhaps because I'm using the latest version of Python. Main.py works fine though and should be the same as running the exe.

I just did this and the command prompt box flash by real quick. How do I know if this is working properly or not? I installed the mod manager and then I installed Python 2.7.1 or whatever version that original prompt told me to.

Did I even need to do that separate Python install?

I just did this and the command prompt box flash by real quick. How do I know if this is working properly or not? I installed the mod manager and then I installed Python 2.7.1 or whatever version that original prompt told me to.

Did I even need to do that separate Python install?

I am quite sure you need to install Python if you don't already have it. I used the latest version of Python rather than the outdated version the mod manager suggested. Try the newest version.

If the mod manager is working, you should get a GUI of the mod manager. Sounds like you aren't.

I'm using the non-Steam version of the game (the one the devs give you when you buy it directly from them) so maybe it is different for Steam users.

I am quite sure you need to install Python if you don't already have it. I used the latest version of Python rather than the outdated version the mod manager suggested. Try the newest version.

If the mod manager is working, you should get a GUI of the mod manager. Sounds like you aren't.

I'm using the non-Steam version of the game (the one the devs give you when you buy it directly from them) so maybe it is different for Steam users.

I'll try the later version of Python. I'm using the Steam version of the game.

EDIT: Worked! :)

Last edited:
There was an alternate exe for the mod manager buried in the thread, I had to use that to get it to work. That was a few weeks ago though

Is there an autosave mod or a mod that gives save slots? The game's save system is horrible. I just love having my progress erased due to a crash. I even made a save but I'm guessing it auto-deletes the save after you load it since it's gone.

Finally beat the game (easy mode). I've got ~20 hours logged via Steam but who knows how many attempts that was. Fun game :)

Bought it beat it in under 32 hours... Wow, was that addicting. Still playing it to unlock stuff, but not as hardcore as the first week.

Is there an autosave mod or a mod that gives save slots? The game's save system is horrible. I just love having my progress erased due to a crash. I even made a save but I'm guessing it auto-deletes the save after you load it since it's gone.

the game uses continue.sav to store your game save. you have to manually rename and back it up to hold onto to multiple saves

Just my personal opinion, but the Infinite Space mod really ruins the feel of the game making it waaaay to easy.

Once you get the hang of it, beating it on normal difficulty is not very hard. I'm think I'm up to around 50% success rate on normal, and I usually know by around sector 3 if things are going to work out or not.

Here are my tips:
-The space bar is your best friend. I spend at least a third of my time paused to time attacks.
-Auto-fire is not your friend. Manually fire laser/beam weapons to that they are timed perfectly. Fire multiple laser weapons to bring down shields and then only fire beam weapons once these are down.
-You earn far more scrap by not destroying ships and killing the crew. Later in the game this is best done by teleporting over, early on it can be done too - disable the weapons that actually hurt you then keep their Oxygen destroyed and wait until the suffocate.
(Great example of this is the Slug interceptors - http://i.imgur.com/ZCY1F.jpg, if you look the oxygen room has no door so it cannot be repaired by the crew - destroy this first and then wait until the crew dies!)

So much more strategy and depth to this game. I have more then 150 hours as recorded by steam and I feel like I am only scratching the surface.

the game uses continue.sav to store your game save. you have to manually rename and back it up to hold onto to multiple saves

Thanks.

Just my personal opinion, but the Infinite Space mod really ruins the feel of the game making it waaaay to easy.

The disabled fleet mod makes the game way too easy. On my first play-through, I was swimming in the scrap and the boss was not even a challenge. This was on normal.

With the Infinite Space mod, I have yet to make it past sector 3. I only have three ships: Kestrel, Engi Cruiser and Osprey. I imagine it would be easier if I had better ships to choose from, but, at the moment, it is not easy for me. Example: in sector 2 I ran into a decked-out Crystal ship. Needless to say, that battle didn't go well. :) I enjoy it though as I like a challenge.

I have not showered in 4 or 5 days because of this game. I'm so horribly addicted. Steam shows that I have 49 hours, within just a few days.

At the 68th hour, according to Steam, I finally finished it on "Normal". I can't describe the sense of elation; it's like having the best orgasm ever. Such a sense of accomplishment... I can't remember the last time that I felt that.

The funny thing is that after part B, I decided to get a little extra cash, just to upgrade the autopilot ( I only had 4 crew and the 4th was a new engi ). I jumped out to a sector with a ship. I almost lost my entire hull and my pilot died putting out a fire. This assault scout AI had dual firebombs + missiles + lasers, 4 shields and I kept missing three or four volley rounds in a row. He firebombed my pilot, door control and all of my other assets, except for my weapons, which I had to keep online at all costs anyway.

Back