Frys - Hitachi 2TB 7K2 32MB = $125.00

The one I went to in Sunnyvale had four. One was a return, I bought 2, there was one left around the 1TB drives. Also snagged a Phenom II 955 BE combo. Not sure what I'm going to do with that though :)

If you hit frys for these drives be careful of returned boxes and opened boxes. In the batch of eight I found three boxes with the seal broke but the plastic straps were still attached. I hope this isn't a reshipment of returned or referbs.

Can anyone double check that these are the Areca raid friendly drives? Please!

I've been using them for a few months now. I know odditory and a few others with 20+ drive servers are using them with Areca controllers.

Whats up with frys and this limit 2 per household junk? If I could buy 20 then I might get in on this deal.

Was just at fry's today picking up the i3 530/GA-H55M-S2H combo and was going to pick up 2 of these but decided to hold off...

What's the power consumption on these drives vs. the WD20EADS ?

Nevermind, found my answer; This drive according to Hitachi idle's at 5.6W and the WD20EADS idles at 3.7 watts

Last edited:
This is the best deal I have ever seen on a 2TB, wish I actually needed the space... I keep buying HDD but can't keep up with filling them up!!! Im up to 10GB total but only using 2.7GB :S I paid 230 for 1tb drives not too long ago :(

This is the best deal I have ever seen on a 2TB, wish I actually needed the space... I keep buying HDD but can't keep up with filling them up!!! Im up to 10GB total but only using 2.7GB :S I paid 230 for 1tb drives not too long ago :(

Wow, only 10GB and using only 2.7GB? My cell phone has more storage than that :) I'm sure you meant TB. Actually, mwave had the WD20EARS and EADS at $119 not too long ago w/ free shipping and no tax (for some).

This post should have been placed in hotdeals but as Cyberbeing said, I lack the posts. Sorry if it seems out of place.

I've been trolling the Data Storage System area for a long time and the majority of the current conversation is about mass storage (norco or Lian Li) builds. With different adapters and raid needs, the Hitachi drives seem to be the most compatible, non enterprise drive right now. This comes from the Western Digital removing the TLER ability from some drives and the Seagate drives having firmware issues etc.

Since the Hitachi drives seem to be a hot item and a lot of the other board trolls live in this area, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Also, the two drive limit is per visit. Make a few trips to the car and it's not a big deal. Funny enough, the lady that rang up my eight drives just did it in four different transactions instead of making me get back in line. The line "Oh, I didn't know" works wonders in retail.

Fry's has a thirty day return policy and I having issues with waiting for the new Norco and Areca Release. Knowing my luck they will not release until after the thirty days expires.

Back