Frys B&M AMD Phenom II x4 925 (2.8 Ghz) & Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2 129-10 MIR=119AR

Roland00

Gawd
Edit: I made a mistake, I misread the ad thinking a 925 (2.8 ghz) instead of 945 which is 3.0 ghz, the post below has been edited with the corrected info.

Note I can't change the subject, it is a 3.0 ghz not a 2.8 ghz, ignore the subject line
------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=2519&adid=8901494&subid=28339382&type=

This is a micro atx board with 1 pci express x16 slot
The board uses ddr2 memory
This is the 760g chipset (amd 3000 note I didn't say HD 3xxx) with 710 sb. This means you do not get hd playback without an add on card.
According to both fry's and newegg you can oc the memory up to 1200 mhz.

According to one newegg review there are a lot of oc options, and you can unlock more "hidden" ones via holding down CTRL+F1 during boot up. That said this is also a newegg review so I take it with a grain of shot, a lot may not give you enough voltage control for the cpu and memory.

If you can maintain the memory at 1200mhz and you keep the cpu at 15x multiplier the maximum overclock is 4.5 ghz. Note it is unlikely you are going to reach that for the memory controller and ddr2 memory probably won't like 1200mhz. AMD rarely go pass 4ghz anyhow (close but not quite.) If you use 1066 ram at stock speeds 266*15=3.99 ghz

This is the same board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128407
and same processor on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16819103675

Newegg has the same board and the same 945 processor for $222.54 after motherboard+processor+shipping
Newegg has the same board and the slightly slower 925 processor for 198.54 after motherboard+processor+shipping. Note the 925 is a little slower 2.8 ghz instead of 3.0 ghz, 14x multiplier instead of 15x

--------------------------------------------------------

Of course a 955 or 965 would be better as well as a 785 or 790 chipsett. That said the price is awesome. You can get a Phenom II x2 545 3.0 ghz callisto for 85 online, so for 35 more (25 after rebate) You are getting a quad core at the same speed with L3 cache and a motherboard as well.

Last edited:
Fry's (if you have one near you) is always a great resource to pull the combos and build something in a pinch for those who may be in need of a comp. I have built a couple WHS boxes with these combos lately and this would be a capable box, if not overkill really.

OP, thanks for doing all the math and comparisons that usually takes me a few minutes to really make sure it is hot. That was bad-ass of you.

I've been running a Q6600 at stock speeds out of laziness, how does this CPU compare?
About the same, some things the amd is faster some thing the old classic q6600 is better.
http://anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=53&p2=81
Note I did the 920 since the 925 doesn't exist on the AMD website. They are identical cpus except the 925 has a ddr2 and ddr3 controller while the 920 was ddr2 only. Since you will be using ddr2 with this board there should be no differences in reality between the 920 and 925.

i went ahead and picked this up, and returned the Athlone II X4 630+Biostar combo that i got for $119 yesterday :)

Im building this computer for my mom, but im wondering if i would benefit to give my mom my Q6600 and use this for my PC.. hmmm

Still 80$ cheaper than newegg

Plugging in the 940 (no 945 listed) instead of the 920 that Roland used for comparison, it bests the Q6600 across the board, in some tests significantly...but still not sure if it's worth tearing into my tower. Maybe I should just OC this bad boy.

San Jose is showing this ad for today:
28353324.png

Slightly pricier, but has the 785 instead of the 760. Both deals are live today I guess?

Probably not a bad price, but my experience with asus optical drives is well...i have three dead asus odd's sitting on my bench at the moment. And ive only purchase 4 asus optical drives....

Keep checking back with them every morning. I managed to snag the 785 board deal by calling around this morning.

Anyone know when this ends (or if it's even avail @ renton)? Wanna order them online then pick them up in store (since they don't charge you until you checkout).

Both combos end Thursday. It's instore only, doubt they'll honor an online order.

Posting from my new build and it's sweeeeeet.

You can order them online then drop by in store to pick them up and tell them to charge you the promo price while paying, at least from what I've heard. Makes sense, but might vary from store to store.

Got the x4 945 and Gigabyte GA-M78LM-S2 at the Southwest Houston Fry's. A very nice upgrade to my WHS though I wish I had more sata ports by default. I dropped it into my Norco 4220 and loaded windows from a USB drive. Now I have 10 1.5 TB drives running from it without any issues.

Great combo for my needs. Thanks OP!

Fry's online shows all items available, called them @ renton and they said no more (4 hours ago). Dunno who to believe...

should this work for san diego? my sis is gonna try to get it for me tmw

i mean, the one with the 785 board

Today I ordered both the x4 945 and Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H separately online with in-store pickup. Then I got a confirmation 15mins later letting me know my items were ready to pickup. When I got to fry's and gave the cashier my order, I told her they were on sale and I gave her the product #6167689. The girl was confused because the current subtotal was much higher and had to call someone to make sure it was true. Once she got the finally ok from one of her managers she canceled my online order and rung me up for the promo price. BAM! $239.99 to $139.99

Today I ordered both the x4 945 and Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H separately online with in-store pickup. Then I got a confirmation 15mins later letting me know my items were ready to pickup. When I got to fry's and gave the cashier my order, I told her they were on sale and I gave her the product #6167689. The girl was confused because the current subtotal was much higher and had to call someone to make sure it was true. Once she got the finally ok from one of her managers she canceled my online order and rung me up for the promo price. BAM! $239.99 to $139.99
so you have to place the order and get charged then have it canceled in store then get the items?

fry's does not charge you when you place an online order to pick you. it's basically hold it for you until you come and pay at the register.

fry's does not charge you when you place an online order to pick you. it's basically hold it for you until you come and pay at the register.

it is asking for credit card info when i try to check out, thats why i asked

The U*$#$ers at Renton are more up to date. I ordered them online and they sent the order pick up as "items not available".

^^^^ what he said. The online site will ask you for credit card information but they won't charge you until you pickup the item at the store. You only need to present the credit card and a picture ID at pickup, but make sure to tell the clerk to change your order before she charges the card.

Back