Frustration with Vista and my ATI card

coolrunnings

Limp Gawd
A few weeks ago, I installed Beta 2 of Vista on a second hard drive in my box. I've got a Core 2 Duo E6600 (stock), 2gb of Corsair, and an x1900xt 512mb video card. Randomly, when it gets to Vista's bootloader it will just give me a solid line across the top of the screen and lock up. I have to power the computer down and turn it back on to get into the boot menu. Secondly, when I try to view a slideshow of any images (even the ones that come with Vista), the machine automatically reboots. The computer is stable as a rock in XP. I've downloaded the latest drivers for Vista and this still happens. What gives?

It's a beta OS - at least the specific build you have is. Simple.

Well, it's not quite that simple but that's the basic gist of it. I doubt the RTM build - the final release build - would exhibit those issues as Beta 2 is pretty old now and, of course, it's beta.

It's a beta OS - at least the specific build you have is. Simple.
Congratulations! You're starting to see why it's been so frustrating around here! You don't even have to type new answers, just keep recopying the old ones over and over. ;)

Beta 2 (5384)?? That is the worst public release of pre-RTM Vista. Try to get RC1 (5600) or RC2 (5744) if you can.

With the way ATi and NVIDIA drivers are right now, RTM feels just like beta 2. ATi drivers can't lock the resolution at 1280x800 to save my hair, and there's problems with the recent non-beta release of NVIDIA's drivers, including but not limited to NO SLi support and a lot of other broken features.

Back