Fruits of the Garden

NoXPert

Limp Gawd
So, today stands to be a banner day for 4 of the 6 local boxen (no b0rgs included in this count), as they bear their fruits to Stanford. The fruits are as such:
48, 600, 241, 44 = 933
Now, with that said, here's hoping that Mr. 600 doesn't crap out... My production has been sub-par the last day or so, but this should turn it around. And yes, I know no one really cares about how many points my boxen throw out, but after 2 months, this feels really good! Not "Go out and get a second job to pay for more boxen" good, but you get the point. :D
I'm glad you guys got me hooked on this! Fold on!

Good job. I myself had a good day today. 3 of my b0rgs put in units totalling 680 points.

my big day was the third. 4k+ points in one day. I was sort of worried that the farm had died, since I wasn't seeing any activity. They're still all synchronized, I guess.

That's a nice little harvest! After I looked at things this morning, I seemed to have missed a 215 point Gromac that was going in today, also. That should take me over 1K for the day. And that's just here in the basement... Some b0rgs are turning in, too! I'm at 500+ already; can't wait to see the tally at midnight.
I know of one b0rg that has a 241 point WU; it's a Mac w/ 700MHz CPU. Ugh. Another has Intarweb issues and can't report, but it is not close to me, so I can't tend to it. I'm sure when they get tired of no Net, I'll get a call to fix it...
I decided not to go to work this week at all, so I won't be trying the USB folding trick until Monday. If that works out, I'll be using 2 P4 rigs while I am at work at 2.?? GHz each. Tigerbiten hooked me up with the info here . I hope it works!

Got a nice little kick this morning. 1246pts from 3 WU's. Means I've got a couple of low days coming, till next set of 600 pointers finish.

Well, it was better than I had anticipated. I racked up 1490 points yesterday from 8 WU. I set up one of hte Sempron rigs to get big packets, and sure enough, it pulled down another 600 point WU, as did the one that finished one yesterday. That takes two of my rigs out of point dropping status until Monday, but it will be big when it happens. They are an hour apart, and folding at nearly the exact same rate. One is an XP 1700+ OC'd to 1650 MHz, and the Sempron 2200+ is OC'd to exactly the same 1650 MHz. Plus, my everyday rig pulled a 215 point Amber core WU, which will take it a day plus to finish. Lappy is going to spit up in the morning; somewhere around a 230+ pointer. It is a P3M running at 1130 MHz, and I use it for work (while there). These large WU really choke it and take quite a while; do you think I should leave it as is or switch it over to timeless units? It will be going into full work mode Monday morning, as my vacation has finally run out... :rolleyes:

Nice hauls guys. I have a question; how do you guys seem to know the point values for the work unit your comps pull up when they are working on the WU? (laymans terms-How do I find the point value of a WU other than subracting my previous point total from the new point total when a WU gets completed?). Today's been a sorry day for my folding efforts with under 100 points. Oh well my main comp is crunchin a 250 frame gromac and I dunno what the other machine is crunching. Hopefully once school starts back I can convince the folks at school to let me put F@H on all the school comps (250+ comps if my estimates are right).

On a side note, that gromac my comp is crunching is taking like 18m per frame. I have winamp, firefox, and a few file folders open. Also I am downloading some mp3's off the net. Is there a way get that time per frame down. My proc is a A64 3000 with 1gb of RAM, so RAM is not a worry.

Snobok said:
Nice hauls guys. I have a question; how do you guys seem to know the point values for the work unit your comps pull up when they are working on the WU? (laymans terms-How do I find the point value of a WU other than subracting my previous point total from the new point total when a WU gets completed?). Today's been a sorry day for my folding efforts with under 100 points. Oh well my main comp is crunchin a 250 frame gromac and I dunno what the other machine is crunching. Hopefully once school starts back I can convince the folks at school to let me put F@H on all the school comps (250+ comps if my estimates are right).

On a side note, that gromac my comp is crunching is taking like 18m per frame. I have winamp, firefox, and a few file folders open. Also I am downloading some mp3's off the net. Is there a way get that time per frame down. My proc is a A64 3000 with 1gb of RAM, so RAM is not a worry.
I can't help you with the frame time (folding n00b) but i can tell you that if you want to get the point value for your current protein, all you have to do is look it up here. Luck, and fold on!!
edit: fixed bad tags :cool:

Thanks for the link man. i had never thought to check F@H site for stuff like that. At least I know that the WU my comp is crunching is a 600 pointer so that makes my day. Unfortunately it wond be done for another couple of days.

DatHak512 said:
Hah, no problem. Happy to help a fellow folder. Good luck with the 600 pointer.

I'll need it. Lets just hope F@H doesn't crash and loose it progress. Wish me luck on getting my school b0rged. The [H]orde could use another 250-300 comps folding. Hopefully I can b0rg the middle school down the road as well since I am good friends with the administrative staff there. Hey there are another 250+ comps there as well over there.

Snobok said:

What OS are you running? What version of f@h are you running?
On second thought, you could use EMIII I to monitor all your boxen.
Here is the info on this proggy.

Maybe I need to add in my sig that I use WinXP and F@H 5.03. Thanks for the link to thae EM proggy. It should be quite useful. I'll take a close look at it after i finish downloading all of my mp3s.

This may be a little OT, but what diference is there between the 5.03 client and the earlier version? I would think everyone would want to keep as current as possible?

DatHak512 said:
This may be a little OT, but what diference is there between the 5.03 client and the earlier version? I would think everyone would want to keep as current as possible?

For Windows, the 5.03 version is the newest graphical version. There were some problems with the 5.02 graphical version and some of them were fixed with the 5.03 version. The text only client is up to 5.02. That is what myself and many others run. it uses a few less CPU cycles and gets a little more work done. I personally have never used anything but the text only client and EMIII since I like to have every spare CPU cycle to crunch.

Snobok > I use EM3 to monitor all of the boxen in the house at once (6 rigs). It's a good program to use. I have 4 b0rgs out there, but only one that I know what is running because the guy emails me its progress. He's a Mac user, and uses the graphic client. I think he is secretly becoming addicted to it... That frame time is OK while those other programs you mentioned are running. If you check the log file, look for times when all the computer is doing is folding and figure up the frame time there. I had to relearn addition and subtraction of time... That blew! ;) Good luck on getting the school's support for this; it really benefits everyone (and the [H]orde thanks you!).

After the 1400+ point day, yesterday's 240 point performace is seemingly pathetic. With one of my b0rgs not running, it is becoming obvious I need to make new friends and get them folding because the money isn't just dumping itself in my accounts....

Finally got another 600 pointer to finish. Managed to crash one a couple of days ago on slower box. Got 127 points for 21 steps. 76 steps in, and all is well. These 2 boxen must be on the short list, for 600 pointers, cause that's all they get. Lost 2 substantially slower boxen today. Hope to get one back up this afternoon. My brothers lappy is gone for good. Gotta learn the ways of borging. My jump drive should be here Monday ;) .

It seems to be somewhat random. One of my fastest computers, with 1Gbyte of ram keeps getting a 600 then a 300 and repeat.

My main system has jumped back and forth from a 300 to 600 to 300 and now back to 600. I'm not complaining. The 300's and 600's give me about the same PPD.

All 3 of my rigs have gotten only 600 pointers. Not really sure how i feel about that. I have learned that 256 megs of ram is not enough to pull those WU, because I had one rig that only had 256 and I install another 256 stick and the very next WU was a 600 pointer. With those monster WU my points seem to fluctuate more now, nothing one day or very little and the next BAM!
If that is what Stanford wants I'll fold em. :p

Probably lost about 600 points due to stroms last night.
First the power starts to flick off and on so had to switch all the farm off.
Whole farm was off for about 5 hours and at approx 100 points per hour that I'm running it soon adds up.
And when I rebooted this morning, I got the dreaded checksum error and restart.
Luckly only one box and only 20 frames into a 600 pointer so thats another 100 points.
But most of my boxen could have done with a reboot anyway as most where up about a month since the last one........ :p

Luck......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Tigerbiten said:
Probably lost about 600 points due to stroms last night.
First the power starts to flick off and on so had to switch all the farm off.
Whole farm was off for about 5 hours and at approx 100 points per hour that I'm running it soon adds up.
And when I rebooted this morning, I got the dreaded checksum error and restart.
Luckly only one box and only 20 frames into a 600 pointer so thats another 100 points.
But most of my boxen could have done with a reboot anyway as most where up about a month since the last one........ :p

Luck......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

I know how you feel man. I have had to have my main machine off for spell here since I am swapping bedrooms and moving furniture. That gramac my machine is working on now looks like it wont get done till Wednesday. At least the media center put out a WU today, so that would be some points at least. It doesn't fold much as my folks use the media center part of it quite a bit in the evening. Windows Media Center is one big CPU hog I must say.

I was lucky enough to get a 1400VA UPS that was "broken." It has helped with such issues signifcantly. I have a 600VA also, but 4 computers started to stress it out, so now 3 are on the 600VA and 4 are on he 1400VA. Good for the 10-15 minute outages/power fluctuations.

Another banner day for me at 1700+ points for the [H]orde! Here's to being the first team to one hundred million points!
And on a lighter note, I didn't get any more 600's. Just going to pound out some small ones for a day it looks like. That's OK, it will keep my point fluctuation down more...
Sorry to hear about the outages. I had one a few weeks back while I wasn't home, so I lost about 7 hours by 5 machines that night. Ugh.
I got a b0rg back online today; it spat up a 241 point Tinker. :cool: Now to get the other two back up... I did grab a quick 1 GHz rig at work, so I will be transferring WU on USB drive to Internet boxen for pointage. Score another one for us...
30K, here I come!

Any clue where or how I can get some cheap boxen up and running. I want to add more machines, but my luck at getting my school folding is pretty bad, so I don't think they will let me b0rg the school (darn, 250+comps...). I have my A64 3000 rig and our 2.6 P4 Media center, but they see lots of daytime use, which limits folding. I don't have much money saved and am saving for a new SLI rig later this year (summer-ish), so money is tight to say the least. Any thoughts on how to get some extra cash for boxen. BTW, a job is out of the question till summer when I will have my drivers license and school will be out (no job during school semester). I want to help the [H]orde, but my options are limited so far. Maybe i should try to get the middle school down the road folding. I just hope the fact that I am good friends with the principal and vice-principal there will help.

Well the 600 pointers seem to be slowing down just a touch for me. A few boxen pulled smaller WU's vs. all pulling 600 pointers. Boy those guys take some time, but I guess the PPD all come out even or slightly ahead in the end. Looking to have a 5.5k+ day, gotta love those, if two 600 pointers drop which they should.

Screwed up a WU on a HT system. Thinking I'll be good and just run one instance. Got the other HT box with a pair of 600 pointers, fingers crossed.

I'd hate to think about running UPS's on my mess, might as well just get a generator at this point. When I redo the power layout, I think I'll use some 3-way t blocks and less surge strips. The cicuits are 20 amp, daisy chaining 15 amp devices does not work too well. Need to spend some time on this, that 14 hour outage I had on 10 boxen did not help anything.

Still unsure of when I'll have to take some boxen down. But on the bright side I'll take delivery of 48 gzh next Friday. Geez that would be 140 gzh, be neat to make a cluster and turn a WU in an hour but I'm thinking they don't work that way. Hopefully can have these and them all going at the same time. Gonna need some extension cords and a big switch....

Onward to 100,000,000 !!! :D

marty9876 said:
Well the 600 pointers seem to be slowing down just a touch for me. A few boxen pulled smaller WU's vs. all pulling 600 pointers. Boy those guys take some time, but I guess the PPD all come out even or slightly ahead in the end. Looking to have a 5.5k+ day, gotta love those, if two 600 pointers drop which they should.

Screwed up a WU on a HT system. Thinking I'll be good and just run one instance. Got the other HT box with a pair of 600 pointers, fingers crossed.

I'd hate to think about running UPS's on my mess, might as well just get a generator at this point. When I redo the power layout, I think I'll use some 3-way t blocks and less surge strips. The cicuits are 20 amp, daisy chaining 15 amp devices does not work too well. Need to spend some time on this, that 14 hour outage I had on 10 boxen did not help anything.

Still unsure of when I'll have to take some boxen down. But on the bright side I'll take delivery of 48 gzh next Friday. Geez that would be 140 gzh, be neat to make a cluster and turn a WU in an hour but I'm thinking they don't work that way. Hopefully can have these and them all going at the same time. Gonna need some extension cords and a big switch....

Onward to 100,000,000 !!! :D

Actually, I know someone getting rid of an UPS the size of a large refrigerator. But I can't imagine the cost of shipping it.

I found out what is wrong with a b0rged rig. Granny ditched Mediacom cable broadband! She's switching to DSL on Tuesday, so that one should come back online afterwards. Still no word on when the Intarweb-disabled rig is going back online, though. Picking up an old Compuke for free today; should be able to salvage it and use for folding. Might gain an additional 1.5 GHz today, too! That would be nice... Had a decent day yesterday again; I think it was over 1500 pts. Got 2 more 600's to crunch.
On a sadder note, I have had some offers on one of my dedicated folding boxen. I might have to make folding part of the deal... I think it can be done, but I'll be sad to see her go. I can see those precious CPU cycles being wasted on Intarweb surfing... :D

If anyone has had any super-productive days or personal milestones, please share here! No need to keep all that excitement bottled up...

today on the 16th. My main rig turned in a biggie 600 while a b0rg of mine put in a 241 point p11xx protein. New personal best of 841 points in a day. :D

On an another note, I have been getting 600 pointers the whole of last week. On my third straight. Should get done early wed morning. I believe having big packets (obviously) and the -advmethods switch seems to ensure getting these, at least in my experience. Then again could be luck of the draw. :D

New personal best for me 1805 points yesterday. Wish I could do that every day, but only have 4 boxen available right now.

Personal best of 2184 for me yesterday. Hoping it's a trend not just a spike.

My personal best happened a few days ago (1/18/05)... 1754pts.... I need to pick up some more boxen......

Keep on Folding!!

It looks like I might be adding a Duron 900 or Duron 950 to my production sometime soon. It may actually be upgraded to a T-Bird 900 or 1.2 though, I'm not sure at this point; it was 2 1/2 years ago that I built this box.

I almost hate to mention it considering the reason I'm getting it. It's also the same reason I haven't been around at all for the past several days. My roommate's father, who is also my ex-fiance's father and my son's grandfather died and the system was his. Since I'm going to have the rig for a while I figure the best thing I can do with it is fold for the time being.

That will be my addition to my little potted plant garden.

still trying to get my dad to take the *time* to install windows on the 2x2.6 at home...
i might even plan a weekend to go home and build boxen ;)

u_Bodega

Hito Bahadur said:
Personal best of 2184 for me yesterday. Hoping it's a trend not just a spike.

Nooooooooooooooooo!!! I will catch you, I will have revenge!

;)

Nice day there Hito.

JasonLee said:
Nooooooooooooooooo!!! I will catch you, I will have revenge!

;)

Nice day there Hito.

Thanks buddy. Hopefully your numbers for today will best my 2100+, although at the end of the day I believe we will be very close.

SWEET JEBUS!

All mine boxen are producers again! Mwa-ha-ha! Going to break 400 WU tomorrow, and hopefully 40K by the end of next week. Personally, I am enjoying the rivalry going on in here between Hito and JasonLee... Keep it up, gents!

Hito Bahadur said:
Thanks buddy. Hopefully your numbers for today will best my 2100+, although at the end of the day I believe we will be very close.

Be sure to wave as you pass! You are just smoking along, you only started a little while ago...correct?
Good work! I hope to assimilate enough boxen to catch up...dream...whatever! :D

Mayhem33 said:
Be sure to wave as you pass! You are just smoking along, you only started a little while ago...correct?
Good work! I hope to assimilate enough boxen to catch up...dream...whatever! :D

I think my first units were around 2 years ago, but I didn't really start folding until late this last October. I guess I just have an addictive personality. ;)

Back