Front Panel Connector

Engr62

Gawd
With my short, stubby fingers, I always have such a difficult time plugging those dang front panel connectors (power switch, power LED, hard drive LED, etc.) into my motherboard header when building a computer. I've noticed that several recent cases (e.g. NZXT H200i) have an all-in-one connector (see screen capture from HardwareCanucks review below) that makes this task much easier.

Front Panel Plug.png

It would be really nice if someone made a connector like this (to use with cases that don't have this already) that one could plug the front panel connectors into, then plug a single connector into the motherboard header. Does anyone make these?

With my short, stubby fingers, I always have such a difficult time plugging those dang front panel connectors (power switch, power LED, hard drive LED, etc.) into my motherboard header when building a computer. I've noticed that several recent cases (e.g. NZXT H200i) have an all-in-one connector (see screen capture from HardwareCanucks review below) that makes this task much easier.

View attachment 111534

It would be really nice if someone made a connector like this (to use with cases that don't have this already) that one could plug the front panel connectors into, then plug a single connector into the motherboard header. Does anyone make these?
asus used to include them with mobos…
05-header-connectors.jpg

edit: these guys have them and the usb one would prob work just fine.
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Asu...{47}-System-Panel-Connector-(20%2d8-Pin).html

Last edited:
Thread necro! Was looking for something like this after losing my last MSI "M-Connector" piece. Anyone know where I can get more?

I have a Gigabyte board (In my signature) their version is a joke I broke it after 2 uses cheap POS just a cheap plastic housing with clips and a small metal bar to separate the rows (which fell out with the first use!) I just plugged it in without that cheap thing!
I mean the front panel header is pretty much standardized these days so why can't it be one plug like the USB, audio and others now?
it is a 2 row 5 pin (for 10 total pins with a pin missing for keying purposes)
Some boards have other front panel plugs but the switch and LED ones should be standard by now
PS: what happened to motherboards and cases with an actual sleep button? Even Windows 10 has a "Chose what power buttons do" and that has a sleep button.
I bought a whole big lot of those "DuPont" connectors of all configurations I use them for this purpose but why are they called by this name? DuPont is a chemical company know for the Freon branded refrigerants.

I have a Gigabyte board (In my signature) their version is a joke I broke it after 2 uses cheap POS just a cheap plastic housing with clips and a small metal bar to separate the rows (which fell out with the first use!) I just plugged it in without that cheap thing!
I mean the front panel header is pretty much standardized these days so why can't it be one plug like the USB, audio and others now?
it is a 2 row 5 pin (for 10 total pins with a pin missing for keying purposes)
Some boards have other front panel plugs but the switch and LED ones should be standard by now
PS: what happened to motherboards and cases with an actual sleep button? Even Windows 10 has a "Chose what power buttons do" and that has a sleep button.
I bought a whole big lot of those "DuPont" connectors of all configurations I use them for this purpose but why are they called by this name? DuPont is a chemical company know for the Freon branded refrigerants.
My guess is that on both sides (case and mobo) they don't want to deal with support complaints for the 1:1000 people using a non-standard pinout; or to spend the extra $0.01/case for a cable that has both a 10 pin header and individual wire pair breakouts.

I was hoping if they ever refreshed the ATX spec they'd formally standardize the 10 pin layout; but when they finally did a refresh it only standardized what the big OEMs were already doing with 12V only power supplies. IN terms of putting any effort into improving things, desktop is dead and has been dead for over a decade.

As for sleep buttons/standby indicators the only system with one of them I ever dealt with was my parents Compaq Athlon-900 from all the way back in 2000. Never seen an enthusiast case/mobo with support. Probably a chicken/egg thing.

If you have the tools and patience, you could get a 10-pin dupont connector and transfer the pins from the individual connectors to the big one yourself. I would...

Back