• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Front Mission Evolved

ManyCowsMoo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
348
I saw this pop up on my Steam news and watched the videos. I've always been a fan of Front Mission but this one looks like it's an action game.

Anyone been following this and have more info?
 
It certainly can't do worse in terms of sales compared to the strategy-RPG versions, but I am disappointed they're going this route; hopefully they haven't completely given up on its SRPG roots.
 
Not interested in the game really. If its good (unlikely) I'll look into it, but I have zero faith in Double Helix they have never made a good game. Plus I want a real Front Mission game, not Armored Core with a FM mod.
 
huh..did want...now..don't want...see how that works double helix?
 
Can anyone give a final word to this before midnight so I can maybe save $5 if its an ok game?
It looks cool and I'm looking for something new but I'm too timid to impulse buy again after I got let down by Mafia2.
 
Can anyone give a final word to this before midnight so I can maybe save $5 if its an ok game?
It looks cool and I'm looking for something new but I'm too timid to impulse buy again after I got let down by Mafia2.

I'd wait. Double Helix is a terrible developer.
 
I'd wait. Double Helix is a terrible developer.

I think that's what I am going to do. No more impulse buying. Plus I can wait for the price drop. This doesn't seem like a game where it makes much of a difference to get into it early or a little later.
 
I felt like FM4 just didn't do a good enough job of innovating to be popular and the story didn't really do it for me. I really enjoyed 3 though. I think this is a steam sale pickup once I know better how bad it is.
 
Can anyone give a final word to this before midnight so I can maybe save $5 if its an ok game?
It looks cool and I'm looking for something new but I'm too timid to impulse buy again after I got let down by Mafia2.

If as everyone suspects (including me) this is going to bomb, then in about 2 months it will be 15$ in total. If it doesn't suck then the extra money will be well worth your investment.



Double Helix may suck. But they were formed from some parts of Shiny...who definately didn't (messiah, sacrifice are some of my favirote oldish PC games). I don't really know what went wrong with them, other then making remakes rather then their own ideas (also no David Perry...?). Actually the other part came from The Collective. Who suck. So thats why good company - Lead person + bad company = sucky company
 
Last edited:
Hold off I'd say. It's not anything to freak out over and lords knows we all have unfinished games
 
I'm holding off. I freaking LOVE front mission even played Front Mission 5 with help from the fan translation team. I ended up going for Dead Rising 2 instead of this though. I'm gonna hold off and let the price drop a smidge before biting.
 
I played through the first ten minutes before I had to leave for work. My initial impressions are positive. The graphics are serviceable. The game looks to me very much like a UE3 game.
The voice acting is good. While it's not up to Mass Effect or Dragon Age standards, it's not horrifyingly bad like Lycra from Gothic 4.
The controls feel good. I made snap movements with my mouse to try and detect mouse acceleration but didn't notice any. I didn't get to an actual combat mission yet, but in the training level the weapons felt pretty powerful.
Keys are remappable, which should please some of you. The initial control setup is pretty standard for any 3rd person action game I've played. The exception is that RMB fires your weapon and LMB is a melee attack.
All in all, from the first ten minutes my expectations for this game have risen from 'It's gonna suck' to 'It might actually be good'. I'll post gameplay impressions tonight.
 
Last edited:
I played the game a bit last night before bed. Definitely an arcade style action game, but it's been fun so far. Nothing ground breaking, but if you got the itch for robot combat, this might be what you're looking for. Also, it's one of the best looking titles for 3d vision out of the box. Although it doesn't have a profile yet with Nvidia drivers, just turning everything on looks great.
Alternatively, even though it shows surround view resolutions in it's menu, I have gotten it it to display anything on the side monitors, still working on that.

I'm looking forward to playing it more when I get home tonight. I can imagine people that aren't hardcore mech fans maybe feeling a little underwhelmed for $50. I'd say the game is definitely worth $30 though, so if you're on the fence, keep an eye out for a sale.
 
This game might look awsome for people with eyefinty set up. Haven't seen any screen on that set up yet just picturing it with my day dreaming brain right now. Like you guys, i'm gonna wait and see how is like for those who bought and played it.
 
I wish there was a demo at least. Looks interesting, look forward to seeing from feedback from people that did buy it.
 
It's actually pretty fun. I haven't gotten very far yet (damn you, World of Warcraft) but so far it's been pretty fun.
 
My friend bought this for PS3 and has told me nothing but abject frustration and disappointment about it but he is a diehard Front Mission turn based strategy gamer and this game is like the cheap B action movie version with dumb traditional Japanese political storyline that is over the top and cliched.
 
A hardcore fan of a certain genre will almost always be disappointed when a developer deviates from it. I have not played the previous games, but I'm enjoying this one. Its a action game not unlike Slave Zero or even the mech sequences in Shogo:MAD.
 
A hardcore fan of a certain genre will almost always be disappointed when a developer deviates from it. I have not played the previous games, but I'm enjoying this one. Its a action game not unlike Slave Zero or even the mech sequences in Shogo:MAD.

At least the foot sections are better than SHOGOs. Still, I don't like that there are on foot sections, even if they aren't bad. I don't know why mech games keep getting this wrong. Its about mechs fighting mechs, I don't care about on foot shooting galleries. If I wanted that I'd play one of the thousand or so other TPS that release every year.

Not sure if I like the game or not yet, but I didn't quit in disgust like I thought I would so thats a good sign. Story seems kinda crap, like a bad mech anime.
 
At least the foot sections are better than SHOGOs. Still, I don't like that there are on foot sections, even if they aren't bad. I don't know why mech games keep getting this wrong. Its about mechs fighting mechs, I don't care about on foot shooting galleries. If I wanted that I'd play one of the thousand or so other TPS that release every year.

Not sure if I like the game or not yet, but I didn't quit in disgust like I thought I would so thats a good sign. Story seems kinda crap, like a bad mech anime.

I agree about the on foot sections..its a good thing that its 95% mech fighting. Honestly tho, I don't really pay attention to the story with games like these, unless its a rather compelling one. I just treat it as an arcade shooter and this turns out to be a pretty fun one. It's a very niche game however, so anyone expecting this to have a large multiplayer base will be sorely disappointed. Multiplayer is much like latest armored core games.
 
Well I tried my buddy's PS3 version and it's a whole lot of fun. People who are hung up about Front Mission being an isometric turn-based action RPG will be disappointed but this is really Armored Core done to the Front Mission Universe.

Missions are going by too quick though. There's lots of customizability on the Wanzers but I find myself only going for certain builds which is too bad. There should be missions that force you to do interesting loadouts like heavy ugly tank Wanzer or big bad melee Wanzer, etc. although they do make you do a Hover mission once.
 
Well I tried my buddy's PS3 version and it's a whole lot of fun. People who are hung up about Front Mission being an isometric turn-based action RPG will be disappointed but this is really Armored Core done to the Front Mission Universe.

Missions are going by too quick though. There's lots of customizability on the Wanzers but I find myself only going for certain builds which is too bad. There should be missions that force you to do interesting loadouts like heavy ugly tank Wanzer or big bad melee Wanzer, etc. although they do make you do a Hover mission once.

Calling it Armored Core isn't quite right. AC's battle are more frantic and fast paced. FME is more like SHOGO.

They also force you to use quad legs later on and also they'll want you to use long range weapons in a couple missions. Either way, it should be about letting you pick what you want, not forcing you to pick different things, if they were going to go that route there would be no point in having customization. Every mission I went in and looked at all of the parts, weapons, skills, and so on to make sure I had the best I could afford at the time. I didn't stick with one configuration for more than a single mission.

Game is fairly short.
 
Anybody with the PC version? How is the multiplayer? I just played a bunch of multiplayer on the PS3 version and it's hard to find other players or a populated server. Most of the players were from Japan. I'm guessing this is another one of those games whose multiplayer will die out quickly...that said, it was tons of fun.
 
Anybody with the PC version? How is the multiplayer? I just played a bunch of multiplayer on the PS3 version and it's hard to find other players or a populated server. Most of the players were from Japan. I'm guessing this is another one of those games whose multiplayer will die out quickly...that said, it was tons of fun.

I have the PC version. My experience with the MP is the same. Small community and mostly Japanese players. It's a lot of fun tho. As I said, its a very niche game.
 
I have the PC version. My experience with the MP is the same. Small community and mostly Japanese players. It's a lot of fun tho. As I said, its a very niche game.

Is there any chance the PC and PS3 servers are shared? That would be crazy and the PC guys would have a major advantage because of mouse aiming.
 
Back
Top