• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

front button interface?

angrymeat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
228
HEy guys I am new to the forum and I have a question . I am building a custom htpc case. I am mounting a 5" lcd in the front of the case. My goal is to build a button interface to mount below this lcd. This interface needs to control up don left right and enter. My question is does anyone know of a way to make this interface? I was debating gutting a usb game pad and using padio with meedio but I would like a more universal option if anyone has any ideas.
 
I know of only two ways, one is the asking Silverstone if they'll sell you the hotkey assembly they use on some of their cases or going the DIY route and using a USB gamepad, you should be able to map normal functions to it, maybe this can be done with Girder (always thought about going this route but never played around with Girder to see if it's possible).
 
I was thinking the same thing or even padio in meedio would work i was jsut checking if anyone had heard of any other options.
 
If you're not using your parallel port for anything... you could just write a little app that listens to the parallel port and hook each switch to the port. Have it either pull up or pull down from an opposite state. Write a small C app that listens to the port and emulates a keyboard. That's probably the absolute simplest method. You could even avoid having to mess with addressing if you were willing to have only 8 buttons.
 
i think the easiest thing to do would be to get a cheapie usb gamepad... hack it apart and you can solder button "extensions" to it... and then you could even wire it up to an internal usb header on the mobo...
 
agreed my c skills are not great and i hate relying on a little c ap for it wor work but then again giurder has failed me in the past as well.
 
MATTRESS said:
i think the easiest thing to do would be to get a cheapie usb gamepad... hack it apart and you can solder button "extensions" to it... and then you could even wire it up to an internal usb header on the mobo...


you could go even further and actually take an old keyboard and take it apart, then you wouldn't need any middle man app.. you would just wire up the Up / Down / Left / Right and Enter to to any config you like.. plug it in and go.. the only painful part is mapping the matrix but even that isn't too bad..

its a popular method for making home made arcade boxes
 
I thought about one of those however . If they did it there it seems like there would be an easy way to duy. Also I dont want to pay $100 for the interface.
 
if you don't already have the screen, i'd suggest a touchscreen and then use something like xlobby. i've got an 8in touch i got off ebay for $160 or so. works pretty good, but still messing with it.
 
Back
Top