From dust still has stupid DRM?

DeathPrincess

Fully [H]
It's on the midweek madness sale on steam. I'm wondering if ubisoft has fixed the "constant internet connection required because fuck you PC gamers" thing yet... Or should I still avoid. No point getting if cannot play when not online, like on a train.

I'm all but certain the "always on" has been gone for a while.

There was some big ruckus raised over the DRM and they removed it.

Personally, I'm hesitant over buying that game because I hear terrible things about the kbm controls for it. Not sure if it has passable 360 controls.

I had no problems with the KB/M controls, though some people were frothing at the mouth enraged at it (I think that was just hyperbole brought on by anger at the DRM which Ubi reps explicitely promised prior to launch wouldn't be in the game). The game has more than a few annoyances, for instance there are no graphics options, and the exact same unskippable cutscene plays before each stage, but I still played it for more than a few hours and found it enjoyable. For $5, not too bad at all.

I had no problems with the KB/M controls, though some people were frothing at the mouth enraged at it (I think that was just hyperbole brought on by anger at the DRM which Ubi reps explicitely promised prior to launch wouldn't be in the game). The game has more than a few annoyances, for instance there are no graphics options, and the exact same unskippable cutscene plays before each stage, but I still played it for more than a few hours and found it enjoyable. For $5, not too bad at all.

The controls don't feel all that tight - probably mainly because it's approximating your cursor movement over 3d terrain and has a tenancy to 'stick' to the top of hills / bumps before it slides down the back slope. It probably would have felt a lot more like a mouse pointer if you were moving over the terrain and dropping what you had in queue down onto the surface. (But would have been no more precise as you tried to figure out where you were dropping stuff from on high)

It's a fun game, the draconian DRM is gone. I picked it up over the holiday sale and am happy I did. It's only 3 or 4 hours to play through the main 'story' (there isn't a story, really unless you count reading through some of the total optional bits, just a series of maps), but a very neat game. It's more of a puzzle game than I was expecting, but it offers a good challenge and can be quite satisfying.

I don't get all the uproar about "Always active internet" connection.

I have to imagine that most people have a reliable active connection. You're certainly not going to be downloading games from Steam on a dial-up type connection.

I have to imagine that most people have a reliable active connection. You're certainly not going to be downloading games from Steam on a dial-up type connection.

Maybe most people do, but not always. Not everyone plays their PC games while sitting at a desk on a 30lb desktop computer. The OP even said he'd like to be able to play on a train, which probably goes underground or through other areas of poor connectivity.

Not everyone lives in sunny California. Try living somewhere where inclement weather kills your connection for a day or two, sometimes longer, or those who travel a lot, or our overseas military.

I also didn't care for the always on DRM, when I had a decent internet connection.

Since last June, the apartment I moved into is just outside of the local ISP coverage area. I instead have to deal with a wireless only "hotspot" connection. It is a 1Mb download connection. In otherwords, my max downloads will never exceed ~140Kb/s and that is the max I seen it go for only a few seconds.

Depending on the game I bought, I usually just let it sit throughout the night and download and hope that the connection isn't dropped. It also takes a long time to start up a game from Steam just cause it wants to update then sign in and so on.

As for an always on internet connection. I bought HAWX 2 not knowing about its always-on connection. I've played zero minutes of that game. I can't get passed the lobby even while I'm connected, its just too slow apparently.

I know I'm in the minority and hopefully by the end of the year the local ISP will be available. But I have a newfound hatred for any single player game that requires me to be always connected.

And it's not even about the connection. It's about the idea that a company feels that someone who pays for software needs to be kept on their leash.

Back