Friends Build

Ripbrood

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, Streaming.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Well at the end I will tell you what I have pieced together. Current build is $5800
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US. Perth Amboy, NJ
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Cpu, ram, motherboard, psu, vid card, case, monitor, keyboard and mouse, storage, cooling and disk drive
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Fresh Build
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Need new monitor
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Its for a friend and I want to show him a more realistic build since he has to save the money and need your help but I would say 2-3 months.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SLI, USB 3.0, Sata 6GB
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 10 64 bit

List of what he has so far:

(Newegg Pricing as of 10/24/15):

CPU: Intel i7-5930k

MOBO: MSI X99A GODlike Gaming

GPU: 2x EVGA 980ti KINGPIN

Power Supply: EVGA 80 Plus Platinum 1600w

Monitor: ASUS ROG PG278Q

RAM: HyperX FURY 32GB (4 x 8GB)

Storage: 4x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H110i GTX

Keyboard/Mouse: Corsair Vengeance K70/Razer DeathAdder

Webcam: Logitech C920

Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT

Disk Drive: LG Black Blu-ray Burner

(Newegg Pricing as of 10/24/15):

CPU: Intel i7-5930k

MOBO: MSI X99A GODlike Gaming

GPU: 2x EVGA 980ti KINGPIN

Power Supply: EVGA 80 Plus Platinum 1600w

Monitor: ASUS ROG PG278Q

RAM: HyperX FURY 32GB (4 x 8GB)

Storage: 4x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H110i GTX

Keyboard/Mouse: Corsair Vengeance K70/Razer DeathAdder

Webcam: Logitech C920

Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT

Disk Drive: LG Black Blu-ray Burner

The CPU and motherboard are a great choice for sure! The GPU's are way overkill and the kingpin won't net you anymore real-world performance over the standard/OC flavors of the 980Ti without truely overclocking them. would make more sense to get a SC or a classified at most (still overkill if you don't plan to OC) This also makes the 1600w psu extremely overkill. Think more along the lines of a 1kw psu at max and maybe a gigabyte or MSI 980Ti (I personally still prefer EVGA). that will save you a lot of $$$ mainly in the GPU's and the PSU considering you won't then need 6 8pin PCIE power plugs lol. a 100-200mhz won't net you any real-world gaming gains at all. Also consiering you aren't putting everything on a true custom loop its certainly a waste considering you won't really be a ble to push those kingpins to the clocks that they are binned to push as the "specialty" card. Just my opinion.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Its for a friend and I want to show him a more realistic build since he has to save the money and need your help but I would say 2-3 months.
You're planning too early then. Computer hardware can change a lot in terms of pricing and availability in a month let along 2-3 months from now. Not to mention that there's always the possibility that a part we recommend today may end up being a poor part as more user reviews pop-in over the next few months.

So if you want an up-to-date build list, ask for advice when you're 1-2 weeks away from buying. It really doesn't help all that much to plan a PC far in advance.

With that said, even if you were planning on building that PC today, it's still a poor choice for the money based on the current pricing for the motherboard, video cards, PSU, case, and CLC. Possibly even RAM if you chose anything higher speed than DDR4-2666. Now, "by a more realistic build", are you saying that you want to show him a more cost-effective build?

Yes by realistic build I do mean a more cost-effective build. I understand that its a little bit out and all. However trying to show him since he streams games on twitch and plays them at the same time that what he wants is overkill really. If can get it to a more reasonable build could purchase sooner like in a month or less.

Yeah he could build a PC for half that price and still be good to go. But first ask how much money he could save in a month. That'll give us an accurate idea of what his actual budget is. I'm not going to recommend a $2000 build this week if your friend can only save like $700 in a month.

Back