• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fried Soundcard?

PigCorpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Messages
1,115
Well, I opened up my case to change some screws. Thinking this would be a simple job, I did it with the power on.

Well, it was harder than I had expected and my hand slipped and touched the sound card. There was a small pop from the speakers and the computer rebooted. I turned off the power and finished what I needed to do.

When I powered up my computer again, the disk checker came up and there was an error with NOD32 that was fixed. No other errors. When I was in XP, my quick launch was gone and the taskbar notification customizations I made were reset. Both were quickly resolved, but it's strange.

The real question is, did I damage the sound card? It works and the sound quality is like before. What are the symptoms?
 
Just a quick question, why did you operate on your computer when it was running?
 
Reminds me of a thread about someone wanting to hotswap IDE drives..... is it so hard to shut if off lol???? Sucks dude, but we all need to learn our lessons, be glad you didn't break anything else...
 
ROFL. You my friend are a very lucky lad. Never operate on a running computer, infact you should unplug the power cord as well.
 
Back
Top