• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

fried my e5200. time to upgrade.

SticKx911

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
3,123
Working my cpu at 150% for 6 months has taken it's toll and adding a new video card and actually taxing it was the final straw. so I am looking for input on a new build.


1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
some occasional gaming. light photoshop, movies, but in the end, 80+% web browsing.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
~300 at most. less is better, more is do-able if I have to, but it'll take something awesome to sway me.
3) Where do you live?
GA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Only need ram, cpu, mobo. If needed to save money. I can just get a c2d cpu, but I figure this is a good time to get with the times.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
re-using a lian li lancool case, 850w silverstone psu, ati 5750 that I'd like the opportunity to CF at some point. internal hdds and sata optical. I can reuse at least my ddr2, but not sure why I'd want to at this point.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Well open to the idea, but would like the cpu to be relatively future proof without.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
23" that I have
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
I plan on ordering tomorrow.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
crossfire would be a plus, but not needed. The more pci slots the better. I use 2 for wifi and esata. I use a lot of usb devices so the more internal usb connectors for front panel and such is a plus. but again I am willing to compromise.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have a win7 64 to transfer

I was gaming on swfu2 at 1080 for a week while everything was working. before that I was happy with any playable resolution. I'm not picky as long as it plays.

oh, and one more. I tend to hold onto hardware for a long time (~3 years). so the more future proof the better.
 
Last edited:
If you're near a microcenter and you're sure the CPU is the only thing thats bad, then get a q8300 for 90. (2.5ghz, quad)
 
if it comes to that, I probably will. I'm just figuring it's just a good excuse to go ddr3, and a crossfireable board.

but I'm thinking I can only afford an i5 or phenum x4 setup, so maybe the q8300 is no worse.
 
How much DDR2 do ou have?? if its atleast 4gb then I would stay with DDR2.. There is not enough performance deference in ddr3 to justify the extra cost, especially not when there is new technology & platforms on the horizon for both AMD & Intel..

90 MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
91 AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition - OEM
110 HIS H575FN1GD Radeon HD 5750 1GB

Thats within your budget & gets you a Good board for Crossfire & the 2nd 5750 to do it with.. You would see alot more performance increase doing it this way. This also assumes that your current cooler will fit otherwise it will go over budget by the cost of a CPU cooler. & To save cash on the video card specifically I would check the FS/T forums.. With the recent release of the 6k series the 5k series have all plummeted on resale prices.

Anyway, I recommend this setup:
$170 - AMD Phenom II X4 925 CPU + MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard Combo

I wouldn't go with that setup if you plan to crossfire.. The 2nd PCIe slot is only x4.. It may ot make a big difference with a 5750 in it, But I would try to stick to a board that gave you atleast x8 on both slots when in crossfire.
 
I do have 4gb. I really didn't know a cpu would not allow for use of ddr3. Right now I'm using a universal cpu waterblock. I'd need a new bracket for i5 and such, but it should fit the AM socket series.

so sticking with ddr2 800 is ok?

if I decide to go ddr3, what about this combo?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.548312

edit. I just ordered that combo and the ddr 3. afterrebate it'll be like 235. not too bad.

thanks for the heads up on the cpu/ram. I had nooo clue. I'd have been pretty SOL.
 
Last edited:
The 8-series chipsets support USB 3.0, SATA III (6.0Gbps), and (depending on the chipset) dual x8 CrossFire.
 
Back
Top