• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

FreeNAS Speed

MichaelB

n00b
Joined
Jan 29, 2007
Messages
4
Hello All
I was disappointed in the data speed when I installed FreeNAS on a P4 box with
4 sata drives in a raid5 .

The box is a P4 2.4G with 512MB Ram and 4 new seagate sata drives.
I setup freenas to use raid5 and started my test.

I have 4.7GB of MP3s
32 files at around 115GB each.

It took 12min to move them from my xp pro box

my network is 100MB at FullDplx

I also have an old Tritton NAS ethernet to ide drive that moved the same files in
15min.

Has anyone else notice the lack of speed???


I could build my own linux debian box using raid5 software but I really dont want to take a chance of loosing my mp3s pics and other data.
 
4.7 GiB ~= 4812MiB
100 Mbit/s ~= 10MiB/s

4812 / 10 (MiB / MiB/s) ~= 481 seconds. 481seconds ~= 8 minutes.

yeah 12 mins is rather 'slow' I'd saw.
 
Im wondering at this point that since you can get a 500G disk for $135ish
that mirroring the data .vs raid isnt much of a trade off when you can gain speed
and also leave the raid s/w and proprietary issues behind.

Perhaps Ill just setup linux clean and simple with 2 disks
Rscyn'd at night to the spares.
 
Last I heard FreeNAS did not have a top-of-the-crop RAID-5 implementation.
 
the raid5 is setup in freenas, not on the mobo chipset, right?

I read of problems with the raid in freenas, think it was on the freenas faq.

last week I think my freenas to vista was getting ~8mb transfer rates and server2003 to vista was getting high 7's (cant retry right now as they are both apart on the floor)
 
Back
Top