FreeNAS + Areca RAID card?

xXaNaXx

Gawd
ok, so i'm planning on getting an Areca ARC-1230 RAID card for a 4+TB RAID-5 setup....i want to run some type of *nix OS on the system it's going on, and got to looking at FreeNAS. in the FreeNAS knowledgebase, it says that any hardware supported by FreeBSD is supported by FreeNAS, but i don't see any Areca cards listed in the HCL for FreeBSD.

has anyone been able to get FreeBSD + Areca working together, and if so, is it a fairly easy setup? if not, i'll probably stick to something like Ubuntu Server or CentOS or some other such OS....but i really like the way the admin interface for FreeNAS looks, and would rather use that if it's possible with this RAID card.

It may not be on some HCL, but there are drivers for it. I've never tried it with my card however though, so I can't give first hand experience.

areca has freeBSD drivers so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but I am a linux guy so I haven't ever tried freeBSD on my sytems. Thus, I don't know how trivial it would be to get it working.

I have run hardware cards on freenas.. but it was pretty disspointing speed. I was only getting 14MB writes and then using same hardware and putting Windows Server 2k8 and was getting nearly 100MB writes.

I was using Freenas a long time with single drives and it was ok but not great. I'd steer towards something else.

I have a 3ware 9550 raid card and a areca 1220 card but for the life of me I can't remember which card I ran freenas on, sorry.

Zack

Back