FreeNAS 9.1.0 CIFS Disconnects

UncleDavid218

2[H]4U
Hey all,

I'm having a problem with the following system and was wondering if anyone could shed some light.

Here's the specs of the FreeNAS box:

FreeNAS 9.1.0
Dual E5405 quad cores
8GB ECC FBDIMMs
3 x 3TB Seagate ST3000s in RAIDZ
2 x 2TB WD Greens in RAID1

I'm using this box to store backups on site but in a physically separate building. I have fiber running to the building with HP Procurve 2510Gs connecting the two.

I'm running ShadowProtect to backup 3 servers in building A, while the backup server is in building B. I don't think this is the culprit but I'd like to mention it anyway.

The backups are about 500GB in size each and the transfer fails about 3/4 of the way through. While the NAS is accessible via the WebGUI and ping requests, the Windows CIFS shares I've setup are completely inaccessible for ~30 seconds. After that time they're accessible but obviously the backups are failing as a result. Smaller, incremental images (a couple of GB) transfer without incident. Occasionally the transfers do work, but not always. The same problem happens if I just try transferring a large file via Explorer as well.

I've enabled logging on the FreeNAS appliance and am not seeing anything in the way of errors at all.

Any thoughts? I'm not real well versed in FreeBSD so I don't know where to start if it's not in the GUI :)

Is RAM maybe the culprit? The machine only seems to be utilizing half of the available memory:

FreeNASRAM_zpsdc2fdf45.jpg

FWIW this box had OpenFiler on it before setup w/ ISCSI (scary I know) and it was working fine, so I don't really think it's network related.

difficult to say. are jumbo frames enabled?

how long has the box been in service?

Have you checked to see if AIO is enabled in cifs on the freenas box? That was a source of this exact problem last time i used cifs on freebsd, i'm not sure if it has been fixed or not. If enabled try disabling it.

AIO is disabled and has been since setting up the shares.

Switch logs don't look suspect at all. I have watched them in real time and nothing really sticks out. This is confusing to me as well - I'd think I'd see SOMETHING.

I haven't enabled jumbo frames on the switches. Could this really be the source of the problem? Also, will FreeNAS use jumbo frames if available?

I haven't enabled jumbo frames on the switches. Could this really be the source of the problem? Also, will FreeNAS use jumbo frames if available?

Nope - gotta enable 'em yourself. Doing so is highly unlikely to fix the problem. If they were enabled, then disabling them could potentially lower the number of dropped packets, but still wouldn't necessarily fix anything. And the switch just needs to support packet sizes equal to or greater than the max frame size you set on any client machine.

Alright, upgraded the box to 9.1.1 and also upgraded the firmware on my switch to the newest version (it was on a 2008 version... derp). We'll see if either of those help. I'm going to guess the firmware will help (it was on Y.11.08 and is now on Y.11.41 for those of you wondering). Doing some reading online it looks like that old firmware is suspect with large transfers. Here's to hoping.....

Back