Free Vista/Office from Microsoft!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still a bit confused, Ive read everything on the site and Ive yet to see anything that says: Run the software for 3 months and get the software you selected free. Nor does it says specifically when the selected gift will ship. I was able to get in on Office Ultimate, it asked for shipping address and which product to select so Im in the clear on that.

Im still a bit confused, Ive read everything on the site and Ive yet to see anything that says: Run the software for 3 months and get the software you selected free. Nor does it says specifically when the selected gift will ship. I was able to get in on Office Ultimate, it asked for shipping address and which product to select so Im in the clear on that.

That's because the free software giveaway has ended.

You missed it.

Sorry.

It looks like I'll be uninstalling the software when I get home then. Ah well, life goes on.

Yes. When you clicked on email link, it brought up a page with personal information form and choice of free product. After completing that, it brought you to the survey.

when i clicked the email link it brought me to a page that was the privacy statement asking 18 older etc and that went straight into the survey. Once that was done it went to the download page and downloaded the app and installed it which asked to verify the email address used. Never once was there any option to select a program to download?

I tried signing up with my Gmail address, and it never came through (checked SPAM folder, too).

Signed up for my ISP email address, instantly there.

So, no love for GMAIL users; use a different email (I hear Hotmail may work.....)

I signed up with gmail with no issues.

It is a dead deal now. I signed up yesterday no problems. On the screen where you select which of the two programs to participate in it did say you have to choose both to get the free gift. Next page you selected your gift, then next page was email info to register. You can still sign up but there is no more free gift option. I got in for a copy of Vista Ultimate. Thanks for posting the deal OP.

for those of you that are behind; someone already posted that the deal ended yesterday afternoon at 2:00 PM (EST I think). for those that missed out as I did will have to wait for the next deal which is supposedly going to be some time at the beginning of the year

Question to those who successfully got in on the deal:

I registered, selected product, took survey, and downloaded WFP... all before the deal died.
NP there. However, I did this at work and intend to bring the WFP utility home on thumb-drive tonight, to install on personal PC.

Was there any additional registration or activation that would now prevent me from receiving the free gift? I'm assuming I'm OK, even though I haven't installed the WFP yet.

Luckily I got in this deal for Free Vista Ultimate. I already scored Free Vista Business and Office 2K7 from the Power Together Campaign. I have the WFP software running on my wife's rig now...

I have Vista Home Premium running on my rig with quad core and 4 gig of ram.. Looking forward to going to Ultimate 64 for no additional cost.. well maybe a boost up to 8 gig of RAM.

Thanks OP! :D

Actually I dont think its a dead deal as I signed up yesterday morning and I got my registration at 4am this morning. So if you signed up early yesterday keep you eye out for it.

Question to those who successfully got in on the deal:

I registered, selected product, took survey, and downloaded WFP... all before the deal died.
NP there. However, I did this at work and intend to bring the WFP utility home on thumb-drive tonight, to install on personal PC.

Was there any additional registration or activation that would now prevent me from receiving the free gift? I'm assuming I'm OK, even though I haven't installed the WFP yet.

I think you had to confirm your email address after install. You might be out of luck.

Actually I dont think its a dead deal as I signed up yesterday morning and I got my registration at 4am this morning. So if you signed up early yesterday keep you eye out for it.

You can still register and install the program you just won't get any free software.

Just on a note guys, make sure that if you are using a safe computer you are careful what you are downloading on you other computer or transferring over your network. The agreement says that you also agree to let MS monitor your network and web activity.

Just on a note guys, make sure that if you are using a safe computer you are careful what you are downloading on you other computer or transferring over your network. The agreement says that you also agree to let MS monitor your network and web activity.

here comes the FBI

or Chris Hansen

To the gmail users: my reg email JUST NOW arrived, two days later.

*shrug* nothing new from MS. They'll find a way to fuck everything up.

tax form lol

they don't have your SSN

it doesn't matter. you're taking a gift from a company worth over a certain amount if you go for both and the government wants a piece. you don't send the tax form to them either, it goes to the IRS. i suppose it doesn't matter if you used two different names which you pretty much have to if you want more than one thing (i used mine and my mom's name). but since the MSRP on office ultimate is over $500....i can see a tax form comin my way lol

I missed out this time, but next time I'm going to fire up an old-school computer, install the program on it, then just fold 24/7 for 3 months straight.

As soon as someone cracks this little program and discovers what 'information' is really being sent back to MS for analysis, I'd be interested. What kind of activities on my network would they be looking at? Would they see the torrent leach/seed occuring off a different computer? Would they know the movies that are streaming around the network? I don't like Big Brother... Free software vs. Paranoia - Going to be a LONG 3 months...

As soon as someone cracks this little program and discovers what 'information' is really being sent back to MS for analysis, I'd be interested. What kind of activities on my network would they be looking at? Would they see the torrent leach/seed occuring off a different computer? Would they know the movies that are streaming around the network? I don't like Big Brother... Free software vs. Paranoia - Going to be a LONG 3 months...

Don't worry about that stuff.

They're only interested in how you use Windows. What view settings, what hacks, what options you have enabled, etc.

Implement V-Lans or get a router/bridge.

You can still register and install the program you just won't get any free software.

Not necessarily if they have it setup to cancel registrations after a specific amount (that amount matching the amount of software they are willing to give away).

RangerXML said:

Damn guess that means I need to turn off Limewire for awhile, oh wait arent they still considered a "legal P2P"?

MS Rep: Hello, this Cathy for Microsoft Support. May I have your name?
Me: Jay
MS Rep: Thank you, Mr. Walker. Now how may I help you?
Me: Well...wait, I didn't say my last name?!?
MS Rep: Oh, I'm sorry. I must have the wrong folder James.
Me: I didn't tell you my legal name.
MS Rep: I'm must have your files confused with some one else.
Me: What files?
MS Rep: Your being hostile, if you don't cooperate we will tell your mother what you have hidden in your bedside table. Didn't you know when ever you do that an angel die.
Me:...Yes'm!
MS Rep: We'll send you that replacement media at once.
Me: Do you have my address?
MS Rep: Of course, what do think this is, a government run company! (Click)
Me:.....WTF!

i signed up and got my registration email the day this deal was avail, but i didnt get around to doing the survey and installing the app until tonight, when i noticed there was no choice for software i came back here only to realize it was over.. what a waste of time.. how fucking lame is this.. bah.. uninstalling now.. no harm done since it was on a spare laptop anyway..

I dont see where it says you will get free vista. I Signed up anyways.:rolleyes:

edit: uninstalling. GREAT. AND I ACTUALLY WAS WILLING TO DO THIS JUNK. :<

Darn, I was actually thinking about signing up today on my lappy...on the bright side, regardless of what info they are actually taking from you, it is still three months I do not have to worry about now. :)

When do you get to pick what you want. Sorry. Didnt realize this is dead. It says good until 12/31/2007.

This ended 2 days ago:

Frequently Asked Questions:

What happened to the free product offer?

The offer for complimentary Microsoft products was removed from the program when the supply of gifts ran out on December 11, 2007 at 2 p.m. PT.

How do I know whether I made the deadline to qualify for the free product offer?

If you entered your shipping address on our Web site and selected a free product from the list, you have successfully entered the program. (Please also see How long will it take to receive my free product?)

I know it says that participation is currently limited to the U.S, but are there any plans to roll out WFP in other countries?

The purpose of the Windows Feedback Program (WFP) is to provide a stable panel of customers who are willing to engage in feedback activities with Microsoft. We are exploring options for expanding the program to include international participants.

When did this program kick off? I can find references to it back in early November, for instance. Was that its official debut?

Actually, the WFP is an ongoing feedback program that has been active for more than five years.

I can understand why a premium was given, but why is the program still active when there is no compensation to the user?

We still have customers sign up regularly, and they receive other incentives to participate. For example, when they are invited to take a survey, there is often a gift option or a sweepstakes associated with the invitation.

I started the free offer enrollment process before 2 p.m. PT but didn’t get to finish until the offer closed. Do I still receive a free software product?

All customers who entered their name and email address on the first enrollment page before the program closed at 2 p.m. PT on December 11, 2007 are eligible to receive the free offer. We review the timestamps in our system to select eligible customers, and these participants will be sent an email in January to get them up and running with the automated feedback tool, request that they pick their free product and provide us with a shipping address. If you believe you are eligible for the free gift, but have not received an email from us by January 31, 2008, please contact [email protected].

I signed up to participate in the Program, but have not received any follow-up information. Am I participating?

If you have not heard anything from us recently, it may just mean we have not sent out a survey. If you are an automated feedback program participant, you will be notified in the event that we do not receive any data from your PC.

Once I’ve been confirmed as a participant eligible for the free product, how long will it take for me to receive my free software?

You will receive your free product after we have confirmed that you:

A) Entered a valid email and shipping address;

B) Fully completed the survey;

C) Downloaded and installed the test software on Windows Vista or Windows XP; and

D) Used the designated software for at least 3 months on a Windows Vista or Windows XP computer that is periodically connected to the internet.

Once we have confirmed your eligibility, your gift will be sent to you. If we detect that your computer does not send data, you will be notified via email.

What if I didn’t receive an email confirming my enrollment in the free product offer?

If you did not receive an email confirming your enrollment, and you are not able to continue with the registration process, please check your junk mail folder. In addition, you may also want to add these email addresses to your ‘safe’ contacts list:

· [email protected]

· [email protected]

If you follow the above steps and still do not receive a confirmation email, try registering again from the beginning: http://wfp.microsoft.com.

All customers who entered their name and email address on the first enrollment page before we closed the free product offer program at 2 p.m. PT on December 11, 2007 are eligible to receive their free product.

What if I didn’t receive an email to confirm my registration?

We do not send a separate email at the end of the registration process. The setup wizard of the automated feedback tool ends with a page that confirms your registration. You can also check whether it is installed properly on your PC by following these steps:

· Windows Vista Instructions:

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and features.
See Microsoft Windows Feedback Panel 3.3 in the list.

· Windows XP Instructions:

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Change or Remove Programs.
See Microsoft Windows Feedback Panel 3.3 in the list.

If we are not receiving data from your PC, you will be notified via email.

I received a message prompting me to contact [email protected] during installation of the automated feedback software. What does this mean?

After completing the survey and installing the software, you may receive a message that prompts you to enter your email address again. You may also receive a message that the email address didn't match the one on file with Microsoft. After entering it again, you will receive a notification to contact [email protected]. If you are sure you are using the correct email address, you may want to check your firewall application. Please make sure it is set to allow wfpuserreg.exe and wfpservice.exe access to the internet on outgoing TCP ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS). Both of these applications are located in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Feedback Panel". If that does not resolve the issue, please email us again at [email protected] with the subject line “email not recognized”.

How can I be removed from the program?

If you are already participating in the Windows Feedback Program and would like to be removed, please contact us at [email protected]. Please note that after requesting to be removed, you may still receive another invite before the removal process has been completed.

If you recently received an invite to join the program and you would prefer to no longer receive promotional offers or research emails from Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft Profile Center.

What if I’ve changed my e-mail address?

If you are already a member of the Windows Feedback Program, please submit your new email address to [email protected] and your contact information will be updated.

ah lame, i signed up etc. and didn't see anything about the free gift...

... now i know why...

well I sent a message to winpanel saying that I started it in the morning on the 11th but did not receive their confirmation email until the next morning in the early AM and to check if I was still eligible...

Heres to hopin!!!!:D

The offer for complimentary Microsoft products was removed from the program when the supply of gifts ran out on December 11, 2007 at 2 p.m. PT.

This kills me... they "ran" out of software? Did they get low on bits? Are they having supply chain issues with the company that provides product keys? And they ran out at exactly 2PM on the 11th? LMAO

Why couldn't they just tell the truth: "we limited the number of free pieces of software for this promotion and that limit was reached on December 11, 2007 at 2PM". Or maybe even more honestly: "we decided at 2PM on December 11, 2007 that too many people were signing up just for the free software, so we got rid of that part of the deal".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back