Free opensource alternative to Windows Media Center Edition

looks pretty slick, there's also always MythTV but I must say it's a darned sight harder to set up and iruns off linux, which can be a positive or negative depending how you look at it :)

peace

Media Center isn't an OS, it's just an application that runs on top of XP just like MythTV/BeyondTV/Snapstream/SageTV/etc might. Nothing special, really. It works just like the program you just linked to.

bb

br0adband said:
Media Center isn't an OS, it's just an application that runs on top of XP just like MythTV/BeyondTV/Snapstream/SageTV/etc might. Nothing special, really. It works just like the program you just linked to.

bb

Actually, Media Center is its own OS - that's why it's called Windows XP Media Center Edition.

As far as mediaportal is concerned, I'm still an MCE fan. :)

PWMK2 said:
Actually, Media Center is its own OS - that's why it's called Windows XP Media Center Edition.

It's actually just XP Pro with media center software.

br0adband said:

bb

media center itself is just a program, but the os does include support and services for recording even if the media center application is not running. i guess any program can include services, but the integration is very good and i've never had a recording fail

PWMK2 said:

No MCE is not its own OS. The installation process installs Windows XP Pro first and then the MCE installer installs the applications as well as reducing certain functionality of XP Pro.

XP Home, XP Pro, XP MCE, XP Tablet edition are all the same base OS with different features, configurations, and limitations.

PWMK2 said:
Spoken from someone who hasn't used MCE2005 yet, I'll bet.

from this link
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /gallery/ on this server.
directly from their main page. i hope the time they saved on making a shitty website, they put into making their product better.

looks like pretty cool software.

dualdrop[H]enia

PWMK2 said:

like others have said it's just xp pro with the software.

you can click an icon on the desktop to launch it so i don't see how it is it's own OS. WMCE 2005 is pretty good and stable IMO.

Back