Free Norton AV 2007 3 Users AR @ Buy.com

What's wrong with Norton?

BTW this deal runs often, I've done it twice in the last 6 months (From Fry's). And the rebate got here in about 2 weeks, a record!

thePP

I still use the free copy of Symantec Antivirus provided by my university... no problems, in all honesty it has saved my PC several times and it works with Thunderbird e-mail client so I dont have to use that shitty one WinXp already has in it. (The Mozilla / Firefox ppl make Thunderbird.) I highly recomend firefox with all of its realy nice and effective plugins that you would never find for explorer, and my Symantec works perfectly fine with their broswer too. I'm told its suppose to be actualy more secure than IE, but I got no way to test it other than the few times it blocked weird stuff like strange cookies or activeX requests.

I've had files not even finish downloading in the Firefox download manager before Symantec sent up the alarms and quarantened the file. It was an mp3, and I've never seen a virus in an .mp3 before so I felt safe... and to think, I would have blindly executed it without thinking twice. I had the same happen on e-Mule while downloading a .pdf file. And e-mule is a p2p service... and I think its awesome that SA can interact with it on its level before I even have the full virus file.

However, there are 2 small hangups... first, I'm told Symantec Antivirus and Norton Antivirus (made by Symantec) are 2 different things... how? I dont know. Secondly, I havnt tried anything else except Kaspersky for a short period of time. Kaspersky was great, except it is too great... it started blocking internet access of games, websites I knew were safe, and doing all sorts of shit every time I even had the slightest inkling of a whisper in the vastness of my mind of ever so gently moving my mouse cursor next to an executable... it would release the effin hounds. I was forced to conclude that Kaspersky was for paranoids and criminals. In any case, what I'm saying is, while Symantec Antivirus is very effective, I havnt tried my full breadth of antivirus programs to judge which would have the lightest footprint and the most interactivity.

For me, SA being able to interact with all my browsing, downloading, and e-mail software kind of sealed the deal to where I'm not even tempted to try something else realy. I'd personaly recomend it.

I hate Norton. I've seen so many problems related to it.
Free antivirus programs like AVG are, in my opinion, better.

However, there are 2 small hangups... first, I'm told Symantec Antivirus and Norton Antivirus (made by Symantec) are 2 different things... how?.

They are two different programs because the Symantec Antivirus provided to you by your school is the corporate edition, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, which has a different set of features compared to Norton AV and is actually a pretty decent AV. Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is mainly sold to businesses and schools. I believe Symantec Anti Virus is also leaner and cleaner than Norton

Norton AV on the other hand is sold to consumers or preinstalled on a majority of OEM PCs and laptops out there. Norton AV is a crappy AV compared to Symantec Anti-virus in terms of performance and reliability. In addition, Norton AV does a pretty poor job of actually detecting viruses yet takes a huge amount of resources to run. Simply put, Norton = bad, Symantec Anti-Virus CE = Good.

They are two different programs because the Symantec Antivirus provided to you by your school is the corporate edition, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, which has a different set of features compared to Norton AV and is actually a pretty decent AV. Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is mainly sold to businesses and schools. I believe Symantec Anti Virus is also leaner and cleaner than Norton

Norton AV on the other hand is sold to consumers or preinstalled on a majority of OEM PCs and laptops out there. Norton AV is a crappy AV compared to Symantec Anti-virus in terms of performance and reliability. In addition, Norton AV does a pretty poor job of actually detecting viruses yet takes a huge amount of resources to run. Simply put, Norton = bad, Symantec Anti-Virus CE = Good.

QFT. I wouldn't even trust Norton with my Mountain Dew. Poor protection.

I've had bad experiences with SAV also though. I installed SAV on my former grade school's computers and servers. I created a 'transfer' folder on the one server to hold data when I was reloading desktops and did a full scan on the server. Nothing. Scanned with AVG, found 3 viruses. Wasn't happy to say the least.

It's always the first thing I uninstall when I'm working on somebody's PC. Then they go "WOW--it's so much faster now!"

I live SAV for business, and avast for home.

I got one of those upgrade rebates back in the day when I upgraded from one version of their System Works to a newer version with something like a $20 MIR on the box. The "MIR" that I got was $20 off the NEXT Norton product purchase I make in the next 2 months. It was a freaking coupon, not money back. Really, I should have called and complained, but I just didn't buy anything else from them since.

I got one of those upgrade rebates back in the day when I upgraded from one version of their System Works to a newer version with something like a $20 MIR on the box. The "MIR" that I got was $20 off the NEXT Norton product purchase I make in the next 2 months. It was a freaking coupon, not money back. Really, I should have called and complained, but I just didn't buy anything else from them since.

Not even something else in the next 2 months?...lol

Back