Free NIN Album “The Slip”

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you want a completely free NIN album, head on over to the official site and grab a copy in either MP3, FLAC, M4A or high-definition WAVE 24/96, all files are 100% DRM-free. You can download multiple formats, you are not limited to a single format. Go grab your copy and support free music! Thanks to Dave Traxler for the linkage.

I like tracks 1-2-4-7.. The rest is just a little too abstract for me. Overall, it's ok. The fact that it's free is awesome. Trent you will get my money, bro.

You guys are 110% on target, who cares whether you like it or not...get it, support it. The bigger the success (free press) of albums like this will encourage other artists to do the same.

:)

Awesome album. I support NIN in any venture they do. Its saying screw the label.

No, this is not the music should be. If it was, people would have to actually get jobs and only the most artistic people would bother to create music. It's nice that it is free every once in a while. But if all music was free there would be no motivation for artists to do this as a career. Plus, I couldn't see Trent working with Martha in accounting. ;)

can't edit fp news posts, but it should say "No, this is not the way music should be..."

I applaud what he doing, he's trying to break the mold and maybe it will eventually have enough impact where we can all purchase tracks online that have no restrictions as far as DRM is concerned.

NIN's also been my favorite band for years, seen um 3 times:)

No, this is not the music should be. If it was, people would have to actually get jobs and only the most artistic people would bother to create music. It's nice that it is free every once in a while. But if all music was free there would be no motivation for artists to do this as a career. Plus, I couldn't see Trent working with Martha in accounting. ;)

A lot of bands make more money from touring than from selling CDs.

I do like NIN and will support them to the end.

Great deal, I love NiN. The d/l of the mp3 (79mb) is a direct HTML transfer, the FLAC (259mb) is via torrent. More music should be shared this way (legally of course;).

Working my way through the last track (and seeding the FLAC download, likely along with dozens of other people). Excellent album and I can't complain about the price. If it comes in the incredible packaging Trent has been offering lately, I'll buy it on CD too.

i said it years ago when drm was just just getting started. all the music industry had to do was make cd's irreplaceable. how? make the physical product worth something. the fuckin idiots thought they could stop digital duplication- MORONS! but they could have slapped a gold emblem on the disc, making it authentic and original. put some quality artwork in there and you have a physical product that people are after, not necessarily the music on that product. sell merchandise! not music. music is free by nature... u try to control it and it oozes out in more places then cockroaches. mmmm.. cockroaches

Trent is the man. Even if I didn't like his music, he would still be the man for being so respective of his fans.

Trent is the man. Even if I didn't like his music, he would still be the man for being so respective of his fans.
I like how everyone refers to HE or HIM like its a one man band. Even the main post on hardocp refers to one person. One person doesn't make a band....

I like how everyone refers to HE or HIM like its a one man band. Even the main post on hardocp refers to one person. One person doesn't make a band....

Actually, Reznor is the only official member of NiN. He gets a band together when he goes on tour, but the studio work is all him.

In a sense he is running the show by himself:

Wikipedia said:
Nine Inch Nails as a live band is generally understood to be a separate entity from its recording studio-based component.[2][3] Within the recording studio, Reznor is the sole member. During live performances and tours, however, Reznor has typically formed a group of musicians, also referred to as Nine Inch Nails, to interpret the recorded songs live. Band members have occasionally been invited to participate in the recording process, though creative control within the studio lies exclusively with Reznor. The lineup of the live band has tended to change drastically between major tours: aside from Reznor remaining on lead vocals and guitar, nothing about the live band has remained constant since its inception.[96]

I do not believe that is true.

Kenny Chesney sold 25 million albums for a profit of ~$25 million, whereas his 2007 tour grossed $70.1 million. Most of that is profit due to sponsorship of the tour picking up most if not all of the costs of operation. I think he made more on the tour than on albums, especially when you consider he probably only sold that many albums because he toured so heavily in promotion.

Ref:
http://community.myfoxstl.com/blogs/PatrickOBrien/2008/01/14/HighestGrossing_Tours_of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Chesney

No Kenny Chesney fan, but just trying to make a point that touring > cd for profits. Obviously this won't fly for smaller bands who cannot get sponsorships, but NIN is not exactly a small band.

It was a decent CD. The first few songs were good, the rest were just OK. For free, I'm certainly not complaining. :)

By the way, you guys need to support this kind of distribution and pricing by SEEDING THE TORRENT! Give back some of what you take. ;)

Actually, Reznor is the only official member of NiN. He gets a band together when he goes on tour, but the studio work is all him.
In addition to producer Atticus Ross and engineer/mixer/producer Alan Moulder, who's been working with Reznor since '94. I think the two of them have a pretty substantial impact on new NIN albums.

It was a decent CD. The first few songs were good, the rest were just OK.
In that case, don't forget to remix ;)

Kenny Chesney sold 25 million albums for a profit of ~$25 million, whereas his 2007 tour grossed $70.1 million. Most of that is profit due to sponsorship of the tour picking up most if not all of the costs of operation. I think he made more on the tour than on albums, especially when you consider he probably only sold that many albums because he toured so heavily in promotion.

Ref:
http://community.myfoxstl.com/blogs/PatrickOBrien/2008/01/14/HighestGrossing_Tours_of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Chesney

No Kenny Chesney fan, but just trying to make a point that touring > cd for profits. Obviously this won't fly for smaller bands who cannot get sponsorships, but NIN is not exactly a small band.

I didn't know Kenny Chesney was Trent Reznor

seeding the flac

i do not know how to use the flac though, LOL

but i support nonetheless :D

I Love NIN and I really like some of the Smaller Bands..

Take Hanzel und Gretyl, KMFDM, Crystal Method, Ministry, Lords of Acid and the like, They all do small, sub 1,000 Audience Shows and Sell CDs there they they get 50%+ Profit on..

When you buy the CD at the show, you can typically get to meet and talk to the band afterwards and they will sign the disc. hell, I had the entire band Prong Autograph my hat at one show and talk for over an hour.

Live and in person is the way to go.. And it makes the band the most money.

I Love NIN and I really like some of the Smaller Bands..

Take Hanzel und Gretyl, KMFDM, Crystal Method, Ministry, Lords of Acid and the like, They all do small, sub 1,000 Audience Shows and Sell CDs there they they get 50%+ Profit on..

When you buy the CD at the show, you can typically get to meet and talk to the band afterwards and they will sign the disc. hell, I had the entire band Prong Autograph my hat at one show and talk for over an hour.

Live and in person is the way to go.. And it makes the band the most money.

You and I are on the same page. All of those artists rock. You pretty much just listed the only CDs that I have purchased in the last five years.

You and I are on the same page. All of those artists rock. You pretty much just listed the only CDs that I have purchased in the last five years.

You have good Taste Bro!

Look at KMFDM, they only stop touring to cut an album, about once a year! Their live shows are awesome and they have a lot of really cool merchandise that doesnt break the bank. KMFDM, my buddy got a kick-ass button-up Shirt for $15, and the band got 100% of the profit. At Hanzel Und Gretyl a couple of years ago, I purchased their CDs, The whole band hang out with the crowd and they all signed that. Best $10 for a CD ive spent and the band got all of the proceeds.

Again, Support the bands you love, support live music and hope they all follow NIN's Model there.

Back