• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Free Microsoft Windows Server 2008 / SQL Server 2008 / Visual Studio 2008

The Server 2008 has no indications of being a trial at all in the OS, so there's no timebombs built-in, but One thing that might happen is they might stop you activating one year after you start activating it.

I have a utlilty that forces the OS version and build # on the background, which is where it always says it's a trial, and it's not showing it, nor is Everest.
 
Do you need to stick around the whole day to get the stuff? I'm planning to go to the Santa Clara event next week but I work that night so I can't hang around all day.

As far as Server 2008 being some kind of trial, has anyone tried to activate it and then jump their clock ahead over a year? I'm not even sure why they'd need a special 1-year trial since the standard disc will let you install without a key with a 60-day timeout.
 
Do you need to stick around the whole day to get the stuff? I'm planning to go to the Santa Clara event next week but I work that night so I can't hang around all day.

in Boston they started giving it out around lunch time but i stayed because the presentations were very good
 
GOOD NEWS!

I tried my Vista key on my Vista 64-bit SP1 DVD from technet, and it worked fine. It saw it was a valid Vista Ultimate key!

I haven't tried Server 2008 cross-keying yet, to see how it works (I'm pretty sure the keys they gave us were retail, but my technet copy of server 2008 is MAK)
 
Excellent!
Thanks for letting us know!

Anybody have any suggestions on where I can score a copy of the media for Vista Ultimate 64 bit?
It's OOS at all the software sellers and I don't have a subscription to TechNet Plus...yet.
No, I'm not going to dive into the BitTorrent cesspool however if you know a way to get it dl'ed from M$, that'd be Gr8!

TIA!
 
I was going to go, I signed up and everything, but then I forgot and besides that I was sleeping during it; I work nights. I am kind of pissed I lost out on the server key, but I probably never would have used it anyways.
 
Excellent!
Thanks for letting us know!

Anybody have any suggestions on where I can score a copy of the media for Vista Ultimate 64 bit?
It's OOS at all the software sellers and I don't have a subscription to TechNet Plus...yet.
No, I'm not going to dive into the BitTorrent cesspool however if you know a way to get it dl'ed from M$, that'd be Gr8!

TIA!

I don't know of any way to download it directly from MS.

You might try getting a trial, if MS offers it, but it might be timebombed regardless of the key
 
there is a way to DL it from MS....well, thru the company that handles MS marketplace. I'm not sure if its ok to post it or not so if you want it PM me, you can also find it on google if you know what your looking for.
 
I don't know of any way to download it directly from MS.

You might try getting a trial, if MS offers it, but it might be timebombed regardless of the key


I'm getting a copy from a buddy over at PCQ&A.com.
all he wanted was a donation to that site for the amount I woulda paid for a media only copy...$26.00. I happily sent a check.

Thanks!
 
Here's the rundown of the software you get, and NO, you do not have to stick around the whole day. I was there for a matter of 45mins to enter in the give-aways, collect my software and bounce.

MS Forefront & System Center trials
MS Visual Studio 08 Standard Edition (no time limit)
MS Windows Server 08 Enterprise Edition 32 & 64 bit(1 year trial)
MS SQL Server 08 Developer 32 & 64 bit
MS Windows Vista Ultimate w/ SP1 32bit only (full version, no time limit)
MS Windows Live w/ 90 day trial of Windows Live OneCare

That's about it.
 
Here's the rundown of the software you get, and NO, you do not have to stick around the whole day. I was there for a matter of 45mins to enter in the give-aways, collect my software and bounce.

MS Forefront & System Center trials
MS Visual Studio 08 Standard Edition (no time limit)
MS Windows Server 08 Enterprise Edition 32 & 64 bit(1 year trial)
MS SQL Server 08 Developer 32 & 64 bit
MS Windows Vista Ultimate w/ SP1 32bit only (full version, no time limit)
MS Windows Live w/ 90 day trial of Windows Live OneCare

That's about it.


Actually, it was stated that in order to get around IRS constraints, the license for Server 2008 states 1 year, but the software will continue working legally. They stressed that the software is not time-bombed, it is simply not to be used in a "production environment" but it will continue to work after 1 year. It is the full, complete OS.
 
don't want to doubt you but I want to be sure before I invest a lot of time into building a server; what is your source on this?
 
I, too, am curious as to your source on this. I was told, at the show, that the Server 08 license was good for 1 year. After that it simply does exactly what Vista does and won't allow you to do anything other than register.
 
The presenter of the whats new in server 2008 track said on stage, it is a full version, there is no time bomb to deactivate it. It will keep working after a year. It is not to be used in a production environment
 
PRomotional Version

So... after a few days it starts crashing, certain promised features are missing and the ones there dont work correctly... How is this different from RETAIL MS Products? ;)
 
Woot, just went to mine today and received a full Vista Ultimate + Visual Studio 2008 Standard, full licenses, as well as the rest of the stuff. I was going to buy the Visual Studio until I had heard about this event... it's $260 shipped on newegg :eek: so this was quite a hot deal for an hour round-trip of driving+attending the event.for an hour. The presenter was actually really good, but I arrived fairly late to the event :( (Hartford, CT developer track). Still, got a few free sodas, the software, and an enjoyable afternoon :D.
 
For anyone that was curious, despite the free Vista Ultimate SP1 disc being 32-bit, the key they give *does* work with Ultimate x64. I just activated with it. 8)
 
For anyone that was curious, despite the free Vista Ultimate SP1 disc being 32-bit, the key they give *does* work with Ultimate x64. I just activated with it. 8)

Thats good to know, I believe I still have an evaluation ISO of vista x64 somewhere around here.

Just got back from the Omaha event. Had to leave early got called into work. I went back at noon for my software. =D Had to pay for parking twice at the Quest center but I can live with $12 bucks for a few hundred dollars of free software
 
Not sure if this a concern to anyone else... But since the event on Tuesday here in Omaha I've noticed a few copies of the Vista pack selling on my local craigslist page. I know some people might not have moral conflicts with this. But being in the IT profession and seeing these software packs getting sold off for a few hundered bucks makes me kinda bitter. Personally I am greatfull for being able to attend these events and getting great software for free. If Microsoft decides to pull the plug one of these days and stops throwing events like this I'll know where to point my finger. Its one thing to Fib a little so you can get into one of these Pro Tracks so you can use the OS and software for yourself but another to take said software and try and sell it for a profit. Is there a number or an email that I can contact to alert MS of this issue or should I just play "Hear No Evil, See No Evil" and hope for the best?
 
Not sure if this a concern to anyone else... But since the event on Tuesday here in Omaha I've noticed a few copies of the Vista pack selling on my local craigslist page. I know some people might not have moral conflicts with this. But being in the IT profession and seeing these software packs getting sold off for a few hundered bucks makes me kinda bitter. Personally I am greatfull for being able to attend these events and getting great software for free. If Microsoft decides to pull the plug one of these days and stops throwing events like this I'll know where to point my finger. Its one thing to Fib a little so you can get into one of these Pro Tracks so you can use the OS and software for yourself but another to take said software and try and sell it for a profit. Is there a number or an email that I can contact to alert MS of this issue or should I just play "Hear No Evil, See No Evil" and hope for the best?

I agree... and yes, there is a way to. Check out this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx
 
The date for ours is May 6th. Our whole software development department is going. Crossing my fingers they are still giving out free software.
 
It's a common practice, actually. Last year at the Vista release event here in Vegas they offered up Office 2007 Pro and other goodies, and sure enough, the very next day Craig's List was inundated with those copies, most all of them being "legit" in the sense that the seller never used the key, never had any real intentions of using the software, and just registered for the event to get the freebies knowing they'd turn a quick sale and a few minutes out of their day into some cold hard cash.

Same thing with the online "Power Together" thing in late 2006 when Microsoft offered Vista Business and Office 2007 for free for watching a few online webinars/classes. After those finally shipped, they started showing up on Craig's List and fleaBay, etc.

Sure, you can report it, go for it. But realistically, even as large and spread out as Microsoft is, even it lacks the ability to go after individuals on such a relatively small scale. If it makes you feel better about things, report it, but know that from the start, it won't matter in the long run.

Microsoft does have Internet access, yanno, and they are well aware of the practice with Craig's List and people selling the freebies. It's just not economically feasible to spend thousands of dollars in time and effort to go after one guy/gal/whatever selling a copy of Office 2007 for $100-200 that Microsoft gave them for free anyway, even with the EULA agreement implied with accepting the freebie.
 
Was I supposed to receive some literature in the mail about this after signing up or a pass of some sort?
 
It's a common practice, actually. Last year at the Vista release event here in Vegas they offered up Office 2007 Pro and other goodies, and sure enough, the very next day Craig's List was inundated with those copies, most all of them being "legit" in the sense that the seller never used the key, never had any real intentions of using the software, and just registered for the event to get the freebies knowing they'd turn a quick sale and a few minutes out of their day into some cold hard cash.

Same thing with the online "Power Together" thing in late 2006 when Microsoft offered Vista Business and Office 2007 for free for watching a few online webinars/classes. After those finally shipped, they started showing up on Craig's List and fleaBay, etc.

Sure, you can report it, go for it. But realistically, even as large and spread out as Microsoft is, even it lacks the ability to go after individuals on such a relatively small scale. If it makes you feel better about things, report it, but know that from the start, it won't matter in the long run.

Microsoft does have Internet access, yanno, and they are well aware of the practice with Craig's List and people selling the freebies. It's just not economically feasible to spend thousands of dollars in time and effort to go after one guy/gal/whatever selling a copy of Office 2007 for $100-200 that Microsoft gave them for free anyway, even with the EULA agreement implied with accepting the freebie.

Unfortunately, that is the truth.
 
Was I supposed to receive some literature in the mail about this after signing up or a pass of some sort?

Nope, just show up, find a registration desk, check in, show ID if asked, and get your badge, etc... usually you're required to fill out a questionnaire of some kind and stay a minimum amount of time before they put out the "freebies" at most events. Sometimes they just offer 'em up right from the start, but in my experience, they'll hold the freebies back till about halfway through a given event, after which you can "take a restroom break" and go out to the lobby area. If you see people getting the freebies (usually pretty easy to spot), go get yours and you're done.

If they sent you any emails, you might consider checking them again before attending and going over them closely. Also, a lot of times you can find some type of registration form to print out - the confirmation email or info they sent or is attached to your registration page, etc. I always print mine out and take it with me, but they just take it, glance at it, ask for ID and then toss it so... it's different for every event it seems.
 
Was I supposed to receive some literature in the mail about this after signing up or a pass of some sort?

Just an email, and then a followup one with a barcode to print for quick entry about a week before the actual event's date with full details.
 
Back
Top